Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust/Heater Box holes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Sorry to hear that Hoody, I'm sure it was wise advice you were trying to share Wink

Wildthings, I've read that my ports are square where earlier are round, does this mean new manifolds as well? ie everything after the heads?

edit: sorry I guess it was confirmed to be oval not square ports above...

Only the '79 engines used the square ports, so if you engine matches your '77 model year then you need oval port exhausts. However with a bit of butcher work the square port heat exchangers can be made to work. FWIW, I have been able to come up with square port heat exchangers that were in very good shape for little more than pocket change as there is little demand for them.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

The conversion kit you are referencing refers to just the engine tin. The heater boxes with the square ports are the important part, then you have a choice of mufflers. Many have used the one on the right:

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-exhaust-parts.html

It is widely available and there is also a stainless version. Both systems pictured bolt directly to the heater boxes. I have used both but prefer the quiet pack version.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

I'm going to go with oval ports, as the engine is a '77.

So to recap, '72-'74 exchangers, tin swap kit from GS and then the full exhaust setup from those same years.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
I'm going to go with oval ports, as the engine is a '77.

So to recap, '72-'74 exchangers, tin swap kit from GS and then the full exhaust setup from those same years.

You don't need to big squarish hole that is in the lower right front 72-74 tin. I think the tin for either a FI'd 411/412 or a '79 bus would be better for your application. A phone call to Scott should get you what you want. Note, that there have been a lot of complaints about Scott over the past few years. You might want to choose Busted Bus, Avery's or some other supplier if you don't want endless aggravation.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Note, that there have been a lot of complaints about Scott over the past few years. You might want to choose Busted Bus, Avery's or some other supplier if you don't want endless aggravation.

Yep, plus it's currently listed as out of stock. I suspect Scott sources that used tin from the same places that Wildthings lists.

The kit also says, "Good used parts from the southern USA." So, maybe add Blair & Sons to the list. I've gotten many good used parts from Jan over the years.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Yes, I've already received a response from Scott, that's the list of items I've referred to. I will use GS again, as my last order went fairly well. Communication could be better, but I don't think he's in the business of ripping people off.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

those heat exchangers may be worth a look,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-acces...nFlag=true
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
those heat exchangers may be worth a look,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-acces...nFlag=true

Those aren't bus heat exchangers.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Plus, aren't these for square ports?
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Your pictures show the 75-78 exhuast system which requires an oval port at the heads. If you have to replace most of your system a simpler solution may be to convert to the 72-74 set up as already suggested. I did that on my '78. The link to Samba Classifieds (BusOK) shows the differnt types of heat exchangers the first is 72-74 and shows the oval exaust port, 2nd is Vanagon with square port, and 3rd is '79 bus with square port. You would need the 1st one for the driver's side and the correct passenger's side would look like the '79 bus but with oval exhaust ports. The Bus Depot link show a muffler that would attach to both heat exchangers and eliminate the elbows and crossover pipe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2108629[url]

http://www.busdepot.com/071251053ek[/url]

[img][/img]
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know why the Bus Depot link doesn't work. The part # is 071251053EK
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Plus, aren't these for square ports?

I believe they are federal '80-83 Vanagon heat exchangers. The Vanagons use the same heads as the '79 Bays.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Thanks JimmieH, looks like I'll be following in your footsteps Wink Any chance you documented any of your work?
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Also, my EGR filter is shot. How does this earlier setup change the EGR for this model year?
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

My muffler has an EGR port. It requires a '79-83 EGR filter though. The filter is missing in that photo. I got that muffler from Bus Depot over 10 years ago. It seems like they don't have one with an EGR port listed any more. You could call them. Unless you need an EGR for inspection you could save a lot of time & money just going without it. It took me several years to find all the parts to make a '79 EGR.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

I'm assuming one will be required to pass inspection in Ontario, but I will ask around.

For the Heat Exchangers, I've been looking at a number of private sales, but find it difficult to tell which are the correct '72-'74 ones I need. Is there something on them that will make identification a sure thing?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

These are what you are looking for:

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

Sorry to have misled you about the square ports. I mistakenly thought that these were used on all late bays with that style heat exchanger.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

All good, that's why we're here.

Thanks Wildthing, I will use these as reference.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust/Heater Box holes Reply with quote

So while the hunt is on for parts, I have a question about installation:

For someone with access to generic tools (regular floor jack, no eng stand, etc...) is there a benefit in dropping the engine to do the exhaust transition? Keep in mind that I have yet to do one. I'm afraid I won't be able to stop once I start stripping it down and I do have a time frame to meet!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: