Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

I am looking to get a Sea Blue paint decal but have seen differnt versions of it.

Some are as follows:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Which is correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

On the second photo, the number plate AND the color code sticker are in the wrong location. Not sure if the number plate would be considered 'legal' ..unless it matches the number under the rear seat. And, the number plate should be pop-rivetted on, not held on by screws. So, with number plate in the wrong place, and a 'new' looking colour sticker with square corners, the sticker MUST be a reproduction. As well, compared to the age patina on the number plate in the first photo, even though the colour sticker has the proper rounded corners, it appears to be too 'new' to be original. As indicated by the square-corner sticker, these stickers are being reproduced (some not so accurately) ..so, I'd say the round-corner sticker is a repro as well.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

All my original paint code stickers were/are printed in German.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
All my original paint code stickers were/are printed in German.

both in German Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
On the second photo, the number plate AND the color code sticker are in the wrong location. Not sure if the number plate would be considered 'legal' ..unless it matches the number under the rear seat. And, the number plate should be pop-rivetted on, not held on by screws. So, with number plate in the wrong place, and a 'new' looking colour sticker with square corners, the sticker MUST be a reproduction. As well, compared to the age patina on the number plate in the first photo, even though the colour sticker has the proper rounded corners, it appears to be too 'new' to be original. As indicated by the square-corner sticker, these stickers are being reproduced (some not so accurately) ..so, I'd say the round-corner sticker is a repro as well.

Top photo is from a 1965 Karmann Ghia Razor

Why is it all in lowercase is that normal?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

XXX-1.8T wrote:
Digger89L wrote:

Both are from T3 Ghias...if your concern is over a 'razor,' perhaps the Type 3 forum is more applicable for what was common on those particular vehicles.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
XXX-1.8T wrote:
Digger89L wrote:

Both are from T3 Ghias...if your concern is over a 'razor,' perhaps the Type 3 forum is more applicable for what was common on those particular vehicles.

Hi thanks no I have a sea blue beetle what is the correct paint decal for it?

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

The jury may be out for a while on this subject.

Look here, in the link I pasted (below): guy claims it's original, lower-case, and space between capital 'L' and code number. On my Bahama Blue '65, it's all upper-case, and no space between the 'L' and the number, like your second pic with the square corners. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=294510&highlight=paint+decal

EDIT: My bad...there IS a space between the 'L' and the number on my label...that's what happens when I go by memory and don't take a pic! Embarassed

I suspect the factories made them differently depending on who was behind the printer during some given time.

I think TS needs a dedicated paint code decal/sticker/label thread where people post pics of their OE decals.

So, I think your second pic is the most correct, but needs rounded corners...again, there are probably various versions that are correct.

Last edited by Busstom on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

Ahah ...always helpful to post ALL the details when asking a question ...
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

My first car was a Sea Blue 66 Beetle. Being my first car I remember it very well. It had the original paint decal below the washer bottle. It was all lower case with the capital L and a space then 360. The area around the sticker was pretty crusty but the sticker was mint, that's why it stood out so much, I guess. So the first one you posted was it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

So is it normal to have lower case paint decal name?

or was it mixed from VW.

Most i have seen from 68 onwards have been upper case first?

As per below:

Maybe lower case pre 67 names?

Anyone have pics of their Sea Blue decal?
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

This thread is interesting Smile

so much variation from VW!

Gizmobob wrote:
As far as I can tell, all color stickers were printed on Silver Foil with black letters, curved corners, and in German text. The early stickers (61-64) were in CAPS, somewhere between 64 and 65 they went to just the First letter Capped. From '70 on, they had no caps at all, nor did they put a space between the "L" and the Number. I'm still not 100% sure of everything and I welcome any corrections. Also found that Pearl White was spelled two different ways; "PERLWEISS L 87" (Pre '64) and "Perweiß L 87" (Post '64). Since I cannot find that many pictures of OEM Color stickers on cars, I do not know the German spelling of the known English Colors.

Here's the List of Color Stickers I know of, mostly listed in chronological order:
-------------------------
SCHWARZ L 41 (Black)
GOLFBLAU L 390 (Gulf Blue)
RUBIN L 456 (Ruby Red)
Rubin L 456 (Ruby Red)(post '64 ?)
PERLWEISS L 87 (Pearl White)(Pre '64 ?)
Perweiß L 87 (Pearl White)(Post '64 ?)
ANTHRAZIT L 469 (Anthracite)
BIRKENGRÜN L 511 (Birch Green)
SEEBLAU L 360 (Sea Blue)
NUTRIA L 575 (Nutria)
POLARBLAU L 532 (Polar Blue)(Type-34 Color Only)
TERRABRAUN L 571 (Terra Brown)(Type-34 Color Only)
SMARAGDRÜN L 514 (Emerald Green)(Type-34 Color Only)
MANILAGELB L 560 (Manilla Yellow)(Type-34 Color Only)
PACIFICBLAU L 398 (Pacific Blue)(Type-34 Color Only)
SAFARIBEIGE L 563 (Safari Beige)
SEESAND L 568 (Sea Sand)
SAMTGRÜN L 512 (Velvet Green)
BALTICBLAU L 539 (Baltic Blue)
VW-BLAU L 633 (VW Blue)
GRANADAROT L 650 (Granada Red)
LOTOSWEISS L 282 (Lotus White)
SAVANNENBEIGE L 620 (Savannah Beige)
DIAMANTBLAU L 50 B (Diamond Blue)
REGATTABLAU L 50 F (Regatta Blue)
PERUGRÜN L 60 B (Peru Green)
PASTELLWEIß L 90 D (Pastel White)
TIEFSEEGRÜN L 66 B (Deep Sea Green)

Here's the list of ones I don't know the actual German Spelling.
-------------------------------
Delta Green L 610
Royal Red L 30 A
Chinchilla L 70 F
Toga White L 90 C
Cobalt Blue L 630
Clementine L 20 D
Elm Green L 60 D
Marina Blue L 54 D
Kansas Beige L 91 D
Kasan Red L 30 B
Brilliant Orange L 20 B
Texas Yellow L 10 B
Sumatra Green L 61 B
Silver Metalic L 96 D
Colorado Metalic L 97 D
Turquoise Metallic L 95 B
Gemini Metallic L 96 E

Type 34 Only Colors
-------------------
Fontana Grey L 595
Smoke Grey L 594
Henna Red L 553
Roulette Green L 544
Arcona White L 582
Cherry Red L 554
Bermuda Blue L 288
Vulcan Grey L 70 K
Roulette Green L 544
Neptune Blue L 50 K
Castillian Yellow L 10 K
Gobi Beige L 80 K
Pine Green L 61 K
Velour Red L 30 K
Sunset Red L 31 K
Oriole Yellow L 11 K
Cypress Green L 62 K
Chrome Blue L 51 K

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
-- Albert Einstein

and then there is this lol Shocked Very Happy

BerT3 wrote:
Quote:
I'm still not 100% sure of everything and I welcome any corrections.

In the other topic there were other variations confirmed with photos:

Space between the L and the number - some all capital letters - some in German - some English

I have ALL colours made - most variations are there

84 different ones are made - some were on order of course

My list:

Straight corners:

CHERRY_RED_L554
KIRSCHROT_L554

Squared corners:

SCHWARZ_L_41
PERLWEISS_L_87
Köningsrot_L_30A
ruby_red _L456
ruby_red _L456
black_L41
black_L41
gulf_blue_L390
pearl_white_L87
pearl_white_L87
anthracite_L469
birchgreen_L511
birchgreen_L511
nutria_brown_L575
sea_blue_L360
safari_beige_L563
velvet_green_L512
clementine_L_20_D
sea_sand_L568
sea_blue_L360
baltic_blue_L539
safaribeige-L563
turquoise_metallic_L95_B
VW-blue_L633
granada_red_L650
Tiefseegrün_L_66_B
savannah_beige_L620
delta_green_L610
pastel_white_L90_D
genetian_blue_L51_B
Perlweiß_L87
perlweiß_L87
pastellweiß_L90_D
Perügrun_L60_B
Alaska blue metallic_L_96_B
Perlweiss_L87
VW_blue_L633
GOLFBLAU_L_390
colorado_metallic_L67_D
silver_metallic_L96_D
lotus_white_L282
BIRKENGRÜN_L_511
diamond_blue_L50_B
regatta_blue_L50_F
peru_green_L60_B
deep_see_green_L66_B
SAFARIBEIGE_L_563
Chinchilla_L70_F
sumatra_green_L61_B
NUTRIA_L_575
cobalt_blue_L630
gemini_metallic_L96_E
cherry_red_L554
toga_white_L90_C
royal_red_L30_A
CHERRY_RED_L554
Seesand_L568
Safaribeige_L563
Birkengrün_L551
Seeblau_L360
Balticblau_L539
Rubinrot_L456
Nutria_L575
Schwartz_L41
KIRSCHROT_L554
deltagrün_L610
Antrazit_L469
anthracite_L469
velvet_green_L512
Samtgrün_L512
Golfblau_L390
kasan_red_L30_B
brilliant_orange_L20_B
marina_blue_L54_D
elm_green_L60_D
pastel_white_L90_D
perugrün_L60_B
clementine_L20_D
kansas_beige_L91_D
iberian_red_L31_F
texas_yellow_L10_B
shantung_yellow_L12_D

BerT3

Why cant VW make it easy for us hahahaha!!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

Okay, to the original poster, one thing I'd like to point out if you haven't noticed: so in trying to search out some of your threads to determine what year your Sea Blue Beetle is, I found this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547076&highlight=0

Notice now how that thread is completely useless to anybody here on TheSamba, because you didn't post your pictures to TheSamba. Need I say any more about that? Worthless.

Having said that, I will note that the solitary picture you did put onTS recently is hosted here, and thankfully will remain part of this thread...and that is what I believe is a '65 Beetle (maybe '66, not sure about Aussie stuff).

And so while I didn't really want to show anybody my ratty looking spare tire well (but you forced my hand), I offer you this OE example of a (January, IIRC) 1965 paint code label. So at least to this point in '65, you can see that for U.S. deliveries, it was still in all caps. I edited my post above to correct an earlier misstatement about my label. I have another BB '65 stored offsite, I think it's a June or July car, I will check that one too.

What blows my mind is, neither of the guys you quoted above list Bahama Blue in their lengthy list of colors, and it was arguably one of the most common colors of the mid-sixties.

XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Okay, to the original poster, one thing I'd like to point out if you haven't noticed: so in trying to search out some of your threads to determine what year your Sea Blue Beetle is, I found this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547076&highlight=0

Notice now how that thread is completely useless to anybody here on TheSamba, because you didn't post your pictures to TheSamba. Need I say any more about that? Worthless.

Having said that, I will note that the solitary picture you did put onTS recently is hosted here, and thankfully will remain part of this thread...and that is what I believe is a '65 Beetle (maybe '66, not sure about Aussie stuff).

And so while I didn't really want to show anybody my ratty looking spare tire well (but you forced my hand), I offer you this OE example of a (January, IIRC) 1965 paint code label. So at least to this point in '65, you can see that for U.S. deliveries, it was still in all caps. I edited my post above to correct an earlier misstatement about my label. I have another BB '65 stored offsite, I think it's a June or July car, I will check that one too.

What blows my mind is, neither of the guys you quoted above list Bahama Blue in their lengthy list of colors, and it was arguably one of the most common colors of the mid-sixties.

Hahaha!

thanks for your post Smile

yes my Beetle is a Australian 1966 Beetle 1965 production but in the USA counts as a 1964 beetle

There you go thank you for posting the photo of yours.

So now in learning these could paint decals could be all uppercase, all lower case, capital at start so what now i can go for with what ever i find lol.

I think most had the rounded corners lol Very Happy

Mystery solved Smile VW did whatever they felt like hahaha!

Unless someone says otherwise Twisted Evil
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

But don't forget that your beetle will be an Australian "Clayton" car and as such will not have a German colour decal as all Australian cars were painted using Australian paint ,possible Dulux.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547076&highlight=0

I don't get why it's so hard for people to post their photos here, but that thread is not useless... I see the photos just fine because I have this installed-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?src=api

There is a link through that to fix it on chrome. I've not had a problem with viewing photobucket photos since.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

meranda wrote:
But don't forget that your beetle will be an Australian "Clayton" car and as such will not have a German colour decal as all Australian cars were painted using Australian paint ,possible Dulux.

Got any pics of a Dulux paint decal?
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Busstom wrote:

I don't get why it's so hard for people to post their photos here, but that thread is not useless... I see the photos just fine because I have this installed-

There is a link through that to fix it on chrome. I've not had a problem with viewing photobucket photos since.

Wow thanks for the hack all my pics are back!

Is there one for IE?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

XXX-1.8T wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Wow thanks for the hack all my pics are back!

Is there one for IE?

No problem!
I don't think there is one for IE, it's not really supported anymore.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SeeBlau / Sea Blue Paint Decal - Which is correct? Reply with quote

meranda wrote:

I think i will look into getting a Aussie paint decal as most were done by BALM paints

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: