Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

buggy front susp bumpers; ok to cut off?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodsofar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: buggy front susp bumpers; ok to cut off? Reply with quote

After reading threads about removing leaf packs to soften the front suspension I have a question: my trailing arms seem to still be under torsion leaf pressure when resting on the metal snubber arms, even with the rubber bumbers removed.

I've read about and seen pics of some buggies that have cut off the metal snubber arms; is there a down side to doing that?

I wondering how to remove the trailing arms from the leaf packs if there is still torsion pressure on them? Sounds a bit scary.

And do you use some kind of puller to get the trailing arm off the leaf? Or with tension removed and the lock screw loose do they usually come off pretty easy?

Thanks much
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: buggy front susp bumpers; ok to cut off? Reply with quote

"I've read about and seen pics of some buggies that have cut off the metal snubber arms; is there a down side to doing that?"

It allows the arm to continue to travel, two things can happen:
Your tire will hit the fender
Your shock will be fully compressed or extended and possibly damaged.

You can also heat them up and use a cheater pipe over it to twist them up or down so you still have them but are in a better position for your ride.

"I wondering how to remove the trailing arms from the leaf packs if there is still torsion pressure on them?"

If the arms are still stuck on the snubber arms you can do two things:
Remove the trailing arm grub screw and use a pair of channel locks or LARGE wrench to fit between the arm and the beam and tap the channel locks with a hammer, it should move pretty easily and once it pops past the snubber arm should slide off. Then you can see where you might want to twist your stop to.

You can also remove the center grub screw and it will release the torsion leaves, and both sides should move freely and you can twist them down to tap them off. It is under some torsion pressure but the leaves and grub screw are pretty stout. Getting it back in is another story.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: buggy front susp bumpers; ok to cut off? Reply with quote

You need to by shocks with built in bump-stops to replace the bump-stop arms.

Find shocks with built in bump-stops that are not gas charged so the suspension is not stiffer.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goodsofar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: buggy front susp bumpers; ok to cut off? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, this gives me a little more confidence.
Ft. suspension will be my spring project. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: