Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

Hello! I recently bought a 1995 Eurovan camper and just discovered that the Pop-top roof mounts look pretty questionable. These pics are of the back left and right roof, just under the pop-top.

Does anyone know if this is a serious issue, and what would be involved to repair it?

Thanks in advance!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

You would have to dig out all the cracked sealant to see if there is something going on rust wise deep underneath. I'm going to guess its not bad from just the pictures since there isn't rust at the edge of the sealant. Best fix would be to remove the poptop and dig out all of the sealant along the channel and completely reseal it. Next best fix, which is on my level, is to dig out as much of the cracked sealant as you can and reseal what you were able to clean out.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kmiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply! Any recommendations on which sealant to use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

Those are just silicone blocks. A channel runs the length of the roof. Two block in the front and two in the back fill in that space. Sometimes people futz with the ones in front when they refurb the luggage rack mounts.
https://bobmcmichael.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/eurovan-luggage-rack-repair/
https://1705.net/luggage-rack/
http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/EVC_luggage_rack
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

Remove the roof rack up front (13 mm bolts - you'll need a wrench and a socket) and you'll get a clear view of the entire thing.

You don't *really* need to dig the whole thing out and start over -- not that it's a bad idea....

But for time and ease of effort Id just clean up the nasty silicone that is remaining (I use sprayway window cleaner actually) referably finishing with some compressed air to dry it out. Go get some heavy-duty silicone at your local hardware store and re-caulk (well, re-silicone) the edges all the way around and you should be fine.

repeat on the two on the rear of the van and you're solid.

That bob michael site is what helped me get this all figured out for myself a few years back - this photo below is from it.

'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

I did some similar refresh for mine on the front end of my weekender. A little different, but really...not so different.

Mine were worse off looking than yours, but I was able to just peel them up, clean out the rust as best I could with a wire wheel brush, and then use some rust treatment before resealing with silicone.

There are few pictures in this thread here - hope it helps!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683873&highlight=hula
kmiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

Thank you all for sharing your super helpful info!!!
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper 1995 Pop Top Roof Issues Reply with quote

I recently did mine by just laying gobs of silicone and then levelling out with a wide putty knife. (After cleaning all the old gunk off of course). The idea being to keep the top of the block higher or equal to the surrounding roof line so water doesn't accumulate.
I've since learned there is a better product , Fast Cure 4000 UV Marine Adhesive Sealant.
Either way should make a difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: