Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

These oil pressure relieve valve plungers drive me crazy, very difficult to unscrew unless one doesn´t wish to mess them upp with some kind of an huge pipe wrench or such.
There´s a tool for this purpose (pic bellow), does anyone know where to buy it?
Have made my own out of a generic socket, although unfortunately with the blade in mild steel as I never thought they´d sit so hard and it just deforms when trying to unscrew the plungers.

Dennis
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

A good tool supply store, it's called a socket driven 1"(or what ever size you are looking for) blade driver or screw driver, they are hardened so they will take a beating. Snap-on tools sells them here so look around.
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

Try looking for a "drag link socket", I believe they are pretty close to fitting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

alanhall wrote:
Try looking for a "drag link socket", I believe they are pretty close to fitting.

X2 Mine is called SKT DRAG LINK 1/2 DR 3/4
KD 73 19 45 3/4
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=porsche+356&...p;_sacat=0

Try ebay Sweden
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the tips on the, what was it called now, a "drag link socket"?....I think I´ll order one from the attached Ebay link, although I see the blades on all of them are in straight line, but that shouldn´t be a problem grinding down the edges so the blade fits into that half bow sunk in profile.....btw, why coldn´t these plungers be made for a generiric wrench or socket, I see no reason for that, and especilally when according to the book, they must be screwed in tightly?
Sheer madness construction....

P.S. I see in the Ebay link some of the blades are high, some lower, what would be the best choice of blade hight for this purpose, or doesn´t it matter?
Mostly thinking of it´s stability when applying pressure unscrewing the plunger, probably low blade?
Dennis
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

Be careful not to grind too much at a time and don't let it get too hot (grind a little and allow to cool) as you don't want to remove the case hardening layer.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

I noticed it looks like most of those eBay ads are not 3/4" in length.

I'm assuming you want to make sure you get a 3/4" length one?
Maybe Starbucket can confirm that.

I thought I would mention that before you buy one that might be too small.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Just make sure it is as wide or as close as you can get to the plug dia., mine is 3/4" wide but only 1/4" long. I always make a mix of 50% acetone and 50% auto trans fluid and soak the plug and tap it with a hammer and soak it again and let it sit 1 hour and give it a quick jerk with the tool and mine always came out with no problems. I think I would check the internet for drag link tools in Sweden before importing as they must have a supplier in country.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Just make sure it is as wide or as close as you can get to the plug dia., mine is 3/4" wide but only 1/4" long. I always make a mix of 50% acetone and 50% auto trans fluid and soak the plug and tap it with a hammer and soak it again and let it sit 1 hour and give it a quick jerk with the tool and mine always came out with no problems. I think I would check the internet for drag link tools in Sweden before importing as they must have a supplier in country.

Thanks for the heads up Everett and Starbucket, I was going to take measurements before ordering as well as recheck with the seller and while on the subject, did your socket SKT DRAG LINK 1/2 DR 3/4
KD 73 19 45 3/4 come with the half bow shape already or did you have to file it down? Can´t find it on Google, where did you source it, Snap-on?
BTW, I´m familiar with the 50-50% special mix.

Dennis
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

dennis 356 wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Thanks for the heads up Everett and Starbucket, I was going to take measurements before ordering as well as recheck with the seller and while on the subject, did your socket SKT DRAG LINK 1/2 DR 3/4
KD 73 19 45 3/4 come with the half bow shape already or did you have to file it down? Can´t find it on Google, where did you source it, Snap-on?
BTW, I´m familiar with the 50-50% special mix.

Dennis

I made a paper templet of the half moon and slowly ground the corners (I don't think a file will cut it). It doesn't fill the 1/2 moon completely but always worked. I bought this tool 30 years ago so I'm not sure where I got it or if KD is still in business, maybe google KD tools and type in that number. Make sure you maintain inward pressure while turning to keep tool in slot.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

Dennis 356
Tool source.com has drag link sockets. Just type in drag link socket.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relieve valve plunger removal Reply with quote

Thanks Starbuck, have now bought one of off Ebay (5 bucks, not new) and its on it´s way to me as we "write".

Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: