Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AMAZON Finalist Cities List. Are you on it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AMAZON Finalist Cities List. Are you on it? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
EverettB wrote:
EasternNotch wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
Some great minimum wage work to be had till the machines get hired.

Hello human!
It sounds like you are talking about a distribution center.
This is a 2nd HQ. These are higher-paying technical jobs.
If you want to learn more, ask Alexa!

This is correct- they are not building a DC, this a headquarters and with it will come mostly white collar jobs. Boston is on the map because we have 60+ colleges and Universities in the area & for a couple years those farm teams can provide fresh lower wage(cough cough) educated help.

Sounds like a good feeder for internships... unpaid of course because that's the cool thing to do now - You are "getting experience". Rolling Eyes
Fuck you, pay me!

Actually thjs is moving back to the say it WAS.....and is better that way.
It was only in the mid 90s that internships in a range of professions became paid.

When that happened.....the useful transfer of knowledge turned to shit. Having been in over 4000 manufacturing facilities since the early 90s i can attest to this fact.

The problem is that once they started treating interns as paid employees....most of the tax writeoffs and knowledge transfer certification incentive programs for manufacturers.....went by the wayside. So once you were in this program as an intern.....you do whatever the company wants you to....from coffee cups to sweeping the shop.
You are theirs because they are paying you. Your only real benefit to them is a minor tax write off.

Far too many interns between the late 90s and the past five years enter into businesses at a rate of pay and benefit that competes with real employees, breaks budgets so you accommodate fewer interns....and had shit for oversight.
And.....you are paying premium above minimum for someone that essentially knows nothing functional...especially in technical arenas.

In the 80s had to work all of my internships for free. Everyone did. They paid mileage and lunch. They were also required to do onboard initial knowledge testing and evaluation and provide prlgress documentation to the university at quarterly intervals to show WHAT I was learning and how.
The "payment" to me for this was five credit hours per year of applied technology....toward my degree that could not have been gotten within the university itself.

With the vast sea of debt ridden, overly educated baristas with degrees that do very little that is functional or in demand.....and they have no REAL hands on experience....and they wonder why they cannot get a job.....REAL unpaid internships with REAL skill transfer is where it should be.

Noted but I'm not talking about small part-time internships while you are in college where you are getting something out of it (college credit in your case), I'm talking about companies abusing graduates with degrees and companies using "interns" as actual employees rather than hire someone.
A couple articles:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/07/unpaid-internships-unfair-cheap-labor-abuse
https://www.poynter.org/news/how-tell-when-unpaid-internships-are-opportunities-when-theyre-abuse
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: AMAZON Finalist Cities List. Are you on it? Reply with quote

I'm surprised they even bothered putting L.A. on the list.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: AMAZON Finalist Cities List. Are you on it? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
I was hoping Detroit would make it on the list. I really feel like it would actually be a good fit both ways there.

Not surprised Detroit did not make it, nor would I want it. Detroit has no real mass transit, there are a few feel good projects but nothing that moves people a long distance in a reasonable amount of time.

The downtown area is turning into a homogenized strip mall now that it is a "cool" place, FU Richard Florida. And the neighborhoods suffer because all the investment is not happening in most of the rest of the city.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: AMAZON Finalist Cities List. Are you on it? Reply with quote

Another interesting read........

"What Amazon Does To Poor Cities"

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/02/amazon-warehouses-poor-cities/552020/

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AMAZON Finalist Cities List. Are you on it? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I'm surprised they even bothered putting L.A. on the list.

I am soooooo glad they haven't picked LA.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: