Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

Hello Samba Forum,

I've successfully have had new bushings installed on the ends of the torsion bars on my '69 Bug. Now I have questions as to the correct procedure for installing them at the
pivot bolt chassis point.
Two large washers come with the pivot bolt. The torsion bar seems to 'naturally' fit tight against the INNER surface of the attachment housing (i.e. closest to the center of the pan).
This leaves a large gap at the OUTER area of the attachment housing (where the two large washers are in the pictures).
I wondering what the correct mounting is? Should one large washer be on each side of the torsion bar end? (This seems to make it a 'forced' fit).
And what foot-pounds should the pivot bolt be tightened at?
I'd appreciate any and all feedback on this issue (my first rebuild).
Thank you!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

Both washers outboard.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

The Bentley manual will screw you up here. It shows a picture of the washers split, one on one side, one on the other and another with them on one side. I went by the picture thinking they should be split. Didn't seem right. Look at the Bentley manual again. I verbally abused Mister Bentley. They go on the outside and the bolt needs 87 ft/lbs then 'peened' at one of the grooves of the bolt head into the metal 'collar' around the bolt head.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

I thought that they were meant for adjustments in the rear suspension and based on what you needed it determined where you put the washers.

It has been a long day though so I could be wrong.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

I'd be more apt to follow the Bentley, other than try to re-engineer it.
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

OK! Thanks so much to all of you for your input.
Good 'ol Bentley! Good 'ol Samba!
Very, very good to know about the 'peening' part ...
Surprised
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Torsion Bar/Trailing Arm Installation Reply with quote

And make sure to use a punch or a blunt chisel to set the bolt after it's torqued so it won't back out on you, that's what those notches in the bolt head are for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: