Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 Beetle Engine CFM
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

On my custom Beetle, I must route cooling air from a new location.
Can anybody tell me how mant CFM a 1500 engine needs for cooling?
Also, are there aftermarket fans that deliver more air to the cylinders?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

Remember, the engine code is a BORN-ON specification, it does not indicate anything that was done after that.

So, are you sure it's really even a 1493cc engine? Really, since the early 1970s, the go-to option at rebuild time was to bolt on 85.5mm pistons and cylinders, resulting in 1584cc. So, if it might have been rebuilt once in the last 45 years....

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

Just finally rebuilt my 1493cc engine last week after 50 yrs yes it did have 83 piston and cyl and was the first time ever. All the bearing were stamped with VW logo. So now I have a new born on date.
You should be fine with the 1584cc engine using the 1493cc fan.
Do tell us more about the "custom Beetle".

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

Something like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Taken from this article: http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

of course the graph probably assumes no inlet restriction on the fan. At high rpm, the larger fan draws a vacuum in the engine bay of cars with non louvered deck lids, unless the lid is opened a bit. with that vacuum, the air flow is reduced, even robbing air from the needs of the carb, so engine chokes itself. I know, I put a large fan in an early Bug, solid deck lid and she choked at high speed, under load, until I propped open the deck lid

Good Luck, Bug On, where ever the wind blows you!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

And there you have my conundrum. On my Hebmueller type custom, I do not want to use louvers on the hood or top of the body. I also want to avoid them on the quarter panels.
My thought is to duct engine cooling air from the front of the car through the shifter tunnel. I am wondering if I can get enough air through there to cool the engine. I suppose I will just have to experiment a bit. Thanks everybody!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

If you make your 'shifter tunnel air intake' a "ram-air" style, I bet you could get some serious CFMs back to the fan.

Leave the inspection cover off (or enlarge it) and put some ducting to make the best of the available airflow. Make sure to get you a very good air filter. You don't want all that road debris ending up in the tunnel ( or into the cooling fan)

A note to consider with this design: That will be noisy in the passenger compartment.

Perhaps a 'ram-air' style intake snout that just comes down from the engine compartment and the snout is underneath the car? Maybe terminating around the level of the transaxle?
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

neisman wrote:
And there you have my conundrum. On my Hebmueller type custom, I do not want to use louvers on the hood or top of the body. I also want to avoid them on the quarter panels.
My thought is to duct engine cooling air from the front of the car through the shifter tunnel. I am wondering if I can get enough air through there to cool the engine. I suppose I will just have to experiment a bit. Thanks everybody!

Why not do a custom duct from the tranny area. Install a duct from that area under the luggage shelf, come up through the luggage shelf and put the duct through the firewall right in back of the fan. You could even extend the metal down inside the tranny area to have a scoop, that could grab air as it is moving by at whatever your speed is. Ram air injection to the fan, it would be cool outside air as well!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

Later model bugs even had louvers behind the license plate. (Of course, they were thermostatically controlled to open only when the engine was hot…)

That chart's a little funky… Anybody have a link to that dude's dissertation that showed around 4,800 engine RPM (8k-9k fan RPM) the belt started to slip and the fan wouldn't go any faster as the engine did?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

neisman wrote:
On my Hebmueller type custom, I do not want to use louvers on the hood or top of the body. I also want to avoid them on the quarter panels.

Just my two cents...
What's wrong with the Hebmüller style louvers?

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Why not do a custom duct from the tranny area. Install a duct from that area under the luggage shelf, come up through the luggage shelf and put the duct through the firewall right in back of the fan. You could even extend the metal down inside the tranny area to have a scoop, that could grab air as it is moving by at whatever your speed is. Ram air injection to the fan, it would be cool outside air as well!

Good diagram Jim- that's exactly what I was meaning
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

I don't remember if we talked about this

I ended up putting a couple small fans in it after still having some overheating issues. It cured the problem, but one of these days I need to do a cleaner fan installation. The other thing you want to take into account is getting rid of the hot air from the top of the engine. On the woodie, I opened up the bottom of the tailgate a little to do that.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

The problem with pulling air from below the car is dust/dirt. You will need some type of filter to avoid pumping dust into the carb intakes. Yes, your carb(s) should have air cleaners but you don’t want to intentionally foul them with dirty air. This is why the engine vents are on the top of the car where the air is cool and relatively clean.

Another option is to add filtered openings in the rear wheel wells. I know I saw a thread where someone created a custom box in each rear wheel well that allowed air to flow into the engine compartment thru filters. I couldn’t find that thread but I found a classified add for access panels at the same spots. Maybe you could start from there. Panels in the wheel wells would be well hidden from the exterior but allow a larger volume of air flow into the engine compartment. Coming from the wheel wells the air would bea little less likely to recirculate hot air from under the engine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=989492
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Good diagram Jim- that's exactly what I was meaning

Having a kit car, I have found that a design such as above is prone to vacuuming the street. Leafs, paper, gum wrappers, dirt. etc... can be sucked up i to the fan, blocking fan blabes, cylinder and head cooling fins, a real mess to clean out Even dust will rapidly build up on the fins, reducing heat flow.

Consider that VW picked up its air from up high on the car, not under it near the dirty road.

I knew someone that made a ran inlet for a 914 track car, big fat maybe 8 inch diameter pipe hooked to a duct on the nose, right thru the car to the motor fan inlet. Worked like a charm on his track car. but that was for racing, on a clean track, not daily driving on dirty streets.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

Dirt being drawn up is an issue with my set up....But then, I have a mile long dirt and gravel lane. But if going to a show, I leave early so there is still a little dew on the lane, so, little dust. Even after a couple hour drive, the engine is still pretty clean. I have a 1/2" wire mesh at the air box entrance to prevent large stuff from getting in. So, overall, it works.

However, as mentioned, there were problems initially. Highway speeds were no issue, but low speed cruising or coming in my lane (20 MPH) elevated engine temps. Pretty sure I used two 8" Derale fans that are about 500 cfm each.

This process was all trial and error. My tailgate had a a bit of a gap at the bottom to help draw air through the engine compartment (negative pressure), but I opened that up a bit more after adding the fans. Don't remember the the exact square inches, but I am pretty sure that I calculated the actual vent size of the stock VW louvers and came close.

And I had also gone through a lot of iterations for other cooling designs (inner fenders, etc) before settling on what I did.

Now here is something interesting though, I have a second VW Woodie built around 40 years ago that is completely different. Based on a type 3 engine compartment and engine, the car draws cooling air from behind the rear wheels. This car has traveled over 100,000 miles (many of those hauling a tear drop trailer) without an engine rebuild.

Just a some stuff to ponder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

neisman wrote:
... Also, are there aftermarket fans that deliver more air to the cylinders?

Just a comment on this initial question...
Many years ago, after reading the above write up on the airflow of the VW fan I went looking for electric blower fans that could replace the stock fan shroud. Thinking that improvements in fan technology might allow an electric fan to flow more than the stock fan. I noted that many race engines used electric blowers in place of the fan shroud like this:

Unfortunately, what I discovered was that these race motor blowers were only used to cool the engine BETWEEN runs. They didn't provide enough cooling for use on street engines that continuously generated heat. The blowers could not keep up with the heat generated over more than a short run (1/4-mile).

Using the chart from the thread:

The largest 12v blowers I could find were capable of no more than around 250cfm. Even using two blowers (500cfm) the stock fan produces more airflow above around 1500rpm (engine speed).
Going to 115VAC/4A blowers you could get as much as 2000cfm from two blowers. This would give you the equivalent flow of around 5000rpm (engine) with the stock fan. But you would need to produce more than 80A at the alternator (460W) just to power the two blowers!

At which point I gave up on the idea of using an electric motor as a fan replacement. Sad
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

[quote="Maddel"]
What's wrong with the Hebmüller style louvers?

I don't know that anything is wrong with them.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

I want to keep as much storage space behind the seats as possible so I will avoid an air box that large.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

Here is something to do, and I am sure that I can't find my data. The air input to the engine is the louvers above the deck lid and the louvers on the deck lid for later cars. The actual area is not that large... In particular the louvers above the deck lid....The actual openings are quite a bit smaller. I thinking it was under 100 sg'? Any way, I folks have used cut outs behind the license plate and other places to get an opening that is not obvious.

AND you can use multiple locations to get the air.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 Beetle Engine CFM Reply with quote

I am dieing to get the body back from the body shop. I really cannot do much till then except research and plan. The body man is not too keen on me working on the car in his shop.
That is a great idea. I will measure the OEM grill openings and start from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: