Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Robbie is building another engine…
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

it will go away - along with one tooth at a time.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The second camshaft will?
Just like my bank account after the second set of rods, and the second case, and the second set of cam bearings, and the second set case nuts.... Wink

This build has absolutely tested my patience of others’ competence. I don’t know much but I know when someone else screws the pooch....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

The second camshaft will?
Just like my bank account after the second set of rods, and the second case, and the second set of cam bearings, and the second set case nuts.... Wink

This build has absolutely tested my patience of others’ competence. I don’t know much but I know when someone else screws the pooch....

Robbie

yeah - don't know what to tell you. Trying to build with stock parts is really hard. It was even back in the early 1980's.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

That sucks Robbie. May I gently suggest opening the box in the store next time and inspecting the part you're buying BEFORE leaving? Laughing

I don't know if I shared this with you but it's a interesting story and it's true. When I rebuilt my 67 bug engine, I had Competition Engineering do the machine work, balance the assembly, etc. The new cam was a Brazilian one. It wasn't marked for degrees so was probably zero.

When I was test fitting the parts during assembly, this cam was obviously too tight as the cam lifted out. I went back to Competition to see what my options were. Dan walked out to the engine shop. He grabbed a big box of crank cam gears. He spent about 10 minutes trying different ones to the mesh of my cam gear and then said "this is it". I replaced the cam gear on my crank with this new one he said was right. All be damned. It was spot on perfect.

I guess nothing replaces experience and feel.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Maybe Erb can make a video on opening a 1968-171 parts box Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Applause Applause Applause

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Applause Applause Applause

Ha! No box, just clear packing plastic wrap.

I’m in a better mood now that the pressure relief piston gasket from AC.net is too large and will leak oil. It gives me something else to worry about in the mean time.

If Web Camshafts wasn’t so damn hard to get ahold of, I would have bought straight from them months ago. A young person answered the phone:
“Hello?”
“Hi, is this Web Camshafts?”
“Ya”
“I’d like to order a stock camshaft for a Volkswagen bug.”
“(Sighs) ok fill out the form online and fax it in”
*click*

Troubleshooted an MSD ignition box that provided zero spark advance today. Turns out said rails run remarkably well locked in at 10*btdc up until about 40mph....

Robbie32*ofPerfectAdvance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

If you get stuck for it, I have the remnants of around 20 gasket sets from engines I've done for people over the years. Lots of round gasket rings, etc. Feel free to drop by and look. Bring by the plug to match a ring to.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
If you get stuck for it, I have the remnants of around 20 gasket sets from engines I've done for people over the years. Lots of round gasket rings, etc. Feel free to drop by and look. Bring by the plug to match a ring to.

Thanks! I actually have two opened gasket sets and one unopened set here… So I guess I'll open one of them… Funny that Elring can cram 1200-1600, single and dual port engines into one gasket set and STILL not understand dual-relief cases.

I REALLY need a main bearing dowel pin. I'm afraid I vacuumed one up in my bedroom sanitation this morning…

And can you believe I don't have an oil strainer laying around? Some VW owner I am……

RobbieUnfilteredAnyway
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Type 171 stuff doesn't belong in this Forum and they didn't make one in 1968

You've been reported for trolling
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

Thanks! I actually have two opened gasket sets and one unopened set here… So I guess I'll open one of them… Funny that Elring can cram 1200-1600, single and dual port engines into one gasket set and STILL not understand dual-relief cases.

I REALLY need a main bearing dowel pin. I'm afraid I vacuumed one up in my bedroom sanitation this morning…

And can you believe I don't have an oil strainer laying around? Some VW owner I am……

RobbieUnfilteredAnyway

saw the end off a drill bit and make it as long as the others. That said someone should have one and magnets find metal things in the vacuum bag.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

X2 on the magnet. You should have a big-assed neodymium one in the tool box - the type that if you stick it on the side of the fridge, it's almost impossible to get off. Great for finding stuff in the vacuum cleaner bag. I also have one of the wide floor sweeper style that I use on a daily basis, it seems.

Another good (garage sale) item to have is an old VHS tape eraser - great for demagnitizing all the stuff in the tool box the magnet is sitting next to...

You can find a great selection of hardened steel dowel pins at Marshal's Industrial Hardware, just off Miramar Rd. on Production Ave. (if you haven't ever been there, you simply must go - best hardware store on the planet.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

And maybe just use one of these. Which I’m pretty sure have

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-capacity-telescoping-magnetic-pickup-tool-95933.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

[quote="asiab3"]
wcfvw69 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

If Web Camshafts wasn’t so damn hard to get ahold of, I would have bought straight from them months ago. A young person answered the phone:
“Hello?”
“Hi, is this Web Camshafts?”
“Ya”
“I’d like to order a stock camshaft for a Volkswagen bug.”
“(Sighs) ok fill out the form online and fax it in”
*click*

Troubleshooted an MSD ignition box that provided zero spark advance today. Turns out said rails run remarkably well locked in at 10*btdc up until about 40mph....

Robbie32*ofPerfectAdvance

That's odd. They answered the phone to me, matched aircooled.net's pricing (while tutting) and shipped to me for next day delivery.

Try being nicer on the phone Robbie Razz
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

The gals at WebCam run the front office and know the parts pretty well. Often they get a little offset when guys talk down to them. I don't know if Steve has retired yet but basically he does more for his employees than most other businesses do, and he has some long time staff there.
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
You can find a great selection of hardened steel dowel pins at Marshal's Industrial Hardware, just off Miramar Rd. on Production Ave. (if you haven't ever been there, you simply must go - best hardware store on the planet.)

I second that. Great place to find just about anything.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
…Took time off work to pick up the last known +3 stock camshaft in existence… Wooohoo!!……

……Got it out of the wrapping and found chunks of teeth missing… Fuck. Does anyone give a shit anymore?

As usual, I'm going to push them until they realize it's easier to satiate me that ignore me, just like the rods! (Which were replaced on the spot when I showed up to the shop.)

Problem is, I can't afford to take ANOTHER day off work and drive 300 miles for this shit.

Robbie

(If it wasn't clear, the short block video stream will be delayed, THANKS GUYS! Evil or Very Mad )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

asiab3 wrote:
Picked up a reground camshaft from them… At home yesterday, I unwrapped the cam shaft, and found nine of the gear teeth to be damaged beyond usability. (Eleven more teeth are damaged; I COULD have used it in a pinch, which I am, except for the major damage…)

Ron at CC has been very communicative since they opened up shop today promptly at 8am. They'll be taking care of me, but it's just another lesson in "inspect all parts before you leave any shop!" Confused

Robbie

You got to be kidding me... You drive 3 hrs to pickup a new cam and don’t inspect it before you buy it. You get home and find out it’s damaged and proceed to put CC on blast with a negative review because of your stupidity. That’s the kind of shit privileged people do not normal people. A normal person would have inspected the cam first and if they didn’t they would contact the seller to make it right. Not immediately bash them on the internet. You have a set of balls on you... If CC was my business I would have refunded your money and tell you to go bark up another tree. I can’t wait for the day someone blasts “airschooled” on the internet, I bet you’ll change your tune then.

SGKent, I can attest to Robbie’s better then everybody attitude and the fact that he talks down to people. Again, stuff privileged people do not normal people.

Robbie, you’ve been around the scene for awhile and your reputation proceeds you. Did you ever stop to think maybe WebCam doesn’t want to do business with you because you’re a thorn in every businesses side you do business with. Instead of contacting sellers you bash them on the internet, nobody likes that. Don’t think shops like them don’t read the forums because they do. Maybe one day you’ll take your head out of your ass and grow up, but I’m not gonna hold my breath for that to that.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

I got the impression he had them shipped.

Shipping has become a lost art these days. Virtually everything I order gets stuck on the bottom of the box, and fill is added to fill up the space. No padding whatsoever. A friend ordered a new magnetron tube for his microwave. It was packed this way. We dumped a pile of glass and metal shards out of the box when it arrived.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Of course I get the most replies as I’m outside doing torsion bushings...

I called Web this morning and received prompt and professional information from a wonderful woman on the phone. So last month’s phone call was probably a fluke.

The shop that sold me the cam is working with Web to make sure I can get a +3 gear in time to meet commitments I made. Like Skills said, now that I am working with these cars for others, it’s not just a hobby any more. I’ll gladly take whatever reputation I get on a web forum for demanding perfection from other professionals.

I like where this thread is going. Keep it up guys, the attitude keeps me on my toes. Laughing

Robbie
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Putting these here so when my laptop crashes, I'll have the specs written down. You know, just in case anything weird happens in Boise City, Oklahoma. Wink

--

RM1584002

Mains:
1- .0015”
2- .0015”
3- .0025”
4- .002”

Rods:
1- .0015”
2- .0015”
3- .0015”
4- .0015”

Cams:
1-
2-
3-

Cam end play:

Cam gear backlash:

Crank runout @ #2 main:
.000”

Head combustion chamber volume:
1- 47cc
2- 47cc
3- 47.5cc
4- 47cc

Piston dish volume:

Deck Height:

Crank end play (with dial indicator):
.0035"

Distributor drive axial play:

List will be edited as assembly goes on…
Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: