Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

bugpartslou wrote:
Pretty much done with the magazine. Lots of check writers and big dollar cars beyond the reach of most. Disappointing is the fact that two very well done restorations were photographed in the Midwest by HotVWs two years ago and have never seen print, I guess because they're not from CA. Both are beautiful, period correct, meticulously restored vehicles, Dave Rutter's 1963 Beetle Convertible, and Bill Bowman's 1959 Double Cab. Restored by the owners, not sent to a shop. I know that both of them devoted extra time to discuss their cars with the HVW rep, unfortunately to no avail.

You do know that Bill used to be a writer for HVW’s. He wrote Transporter Talk. So It might not be all about check writers and big dollar cars. I don’t buy the magazine anymore it’s not worth the $$$. Maybe he’ll chime in and tell us how the magazine works.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugpartslou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Yes, I do know that Bill used to write for the magazine, hope he chimes in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I've been a continuous subscriber for 33 years.

Yipes, I've been a subscriber since right after I bought my first issue in 1973. My math says that's over 44 years....

I still feel that it's worth the money; yeah, I wish there were more technical articles are more "before" photos of restored old VWs, and less on racing, but I realize that there is a wide range of customers.

A couple of decades ago Mrs. Cusser bought me some new window rubber for my '71 Convertible, and even the suppliers had no instructions how to install. I went back through EVERY issue of Hot VWs I had saved, and there was nothing on this back then; I did find an article on Type 3 rubber or sedan rubber, and that helped a lot. So I was able to drill out rivets and use my own metal with the new rubber strips for the doors and rear quarter. So Hot VWs helped me there.

Previous to that, Hot VWs helped me with just KNOWING about stuff like Weber 40DCNF carb, combined oil pump/oil filter, stuff I never would've known much about in pre-Internet days.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I think it best for me to just let the complainers complain, and the whiners whine...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

ordered subscription on dec 12, havent got an issue yet.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I think it best for me to just let the complainers complain, and the whiners whine...

Smart policy.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Tru that^^^
I didn't have to grease any palms to get my car in. Its not a trailer queen, its not got tons of awards nor was it built by Buddy Hale or KCW or Pip or any big time builder. Its not pre 67. It was built in my garage and painted in my neighbors garage by he and I. Almost all the parts were from Pomona swap meet, drag days swap, bug-in swaps...or samba classifieds. Not a fan of "check-book" builds. They look awesome but soulless. Crying or Very sad
I did have to wait about two years because RK told me they had 7-8 ghias ahead of me.
Just calculate the numbers of car owners that would like to be in the mag, then the total number of feature cars in a year....odds are pretty good most of us wont be seeing our VW in it..... But you can see mine in the May 2017 issue. Smile (#1 issue from new ownership) Very Happy
Bay window busses in each of the last two issues, later beetles....with new ownership the times they are a changing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

calvinator, ordered my two year subscription on August 7th, received my first issue in October which was the November issue. I know they send out the magazine around the end of the month, I get the magazine at the house during the early part of the second week of the month.

You can email them from the magazine's web site
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
ordered subscription on dec 12, havent got an issue yet.

Usually takes 6 to 8 weeks to start.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LindaP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

The last time I bought one was probably 20 years ago. I never bought another after reading an article written by *the editor* that said what a nice "Mole Hair" headliner the feature car had. :0
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

LindaP wrote:
The last time I bought one was probably 20 years ago. I never bought another after reading an article written by *the editor* that said what a nice "Mole Hair" headliner the feature car had. :0

Great first samba post!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

LindaP wrote:

Was that on a "common gear" (Karmann Ghia) ?? Saw that in an ad once !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

LindaP wrote:

Wow a simple grammatical or spelling error gets a response like that? What’s it like if someone cuts you off in traffic? Stick around and I guarantee you’ll be greatly entertained when you meet Mr. Mark Tucker Very Happy Paging Mark, we got a live one.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
LindaP wrote:

Wow a simple grammatical or spelling error gets a response like that? What’s it like if someone cuts you off in traffic? Stick around and I guarantee you’ll be greatly entertained when you meet Mr. Mark Tucker Very Happy Paging Mark, we got a live one.

No kidding- this person's straight out of high school logic class- under the heading: Hasty Generalization.

I'll bet other "lasts" sucked for them too: Dollar store visit; KFC Classic Bowl; Romance; etc...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
LindaP wrote:

This seems like perfectly reasonable logic to me.
If you are the EDITOR of a magazine, you should not be making errors like that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Is there really any magazine that does not have at least one grammatical error in an issue? Probably not.

Suspect the Mole Hair in stead of Mohair may of just been deliberate, one of those how many anal readers of this rag are there tests, then again how do you know that the builder did not skin a few hundred Moles for a real fur effect and it was really a Mole Hair headliner?
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

The poor girl has made only one post and you guys are beating her up already?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

How do you know he/she/it is really a girl, names mean nothing, Mrs Silence Dogood was not exactly a bespectacled homely housewife.

Since my last post it got me thinking about how if not deliberate, most likely by a secretary that had the unfortunate duty of transcribing the dictation left by her valley slang mumbling California infused editor. Opps I just bad mouthed the occupants of a state.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

She just visited today, so busman will be hearing from her soon! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
LindaP wrote:

No kidding- this person's straight out of high school logic class- under the heading: Hasty Generalization.

I'll bet other "lasts" sucked for them too: Dollar store visit; KFC Classic Bowl; Romance; etc...

Like that, you mean?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: