Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
A question; I'd like to mount the 2211 and a 2nd standard LP tank on the passenger side. I've looked through the 2211 threads and was looking to find out if anyone has done that - or if it's possible. I couldn't find anything definitive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's a chance I could fit a 30.25" tank but it will be tight. Mounting the Propex about 1.25 inches rearward would simply encroach upon 1.25 inches more of (the bottom of) your underseat storage. Dangit if I had thought about a 2nd propane tank I would have chosen a rearward location but I was busting my butt to leave on a trip.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Looking good. Love the rubber mount idea. I screwed mine right into the panel. Looking forward to see the finish under the bench seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:
Ditto that last ^^^^^ Great documentation and explanations Sodo, well thought out and executed.

I am going to do the same install in a few weeks, just ordered the 2211 today with grommets.

A question; I'd like to mount the 2211 and a 2nd standard LP tank on the passenger side. I've looked through the 2211 threads and was looking to find out if anyone has done that - or if it's possible. I couldn't find anything definitive.

Sodo wrote:

Looks like there is room - needs 30" - but thought I'd query. (Our van is down south so I can't measure it Sad )

Mark

In this pic you can see the back studs for the tank, you'd have to make a bracket for the tank if the propex was in that same spot.
I had a look at a friends a couple of weeks ago and there isn't enough room the way he has his mounted.

There is roughly 54" in that space and when the tank is mounted in the correct position from the back cross beam to the end of the tank in the back is about 11.5"
You'd have to take in consideration the frame tapers in the front too.

Timwhy thanks for pointing out the existing mount holes. I didn't realize they had a stock passenger side location. Sounds like I'll have to mount the tank farther forward if possible.

Sodo wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:

There's a chance I could fit a 30.25" tank but it will be tight. Mounting the Propex about 1.25 inches rearward would simply encroach upon 1.25 inches more of (the bottom of) your underseat storage. Dangit if I had thought about a 2nd propane tank I would have chosen a rearward location but I was busting my butt to leave on a trip.

Thanks Sodo, I appreciate the time to lay that out. Looks like I better plan on spending some time mocking it up before drilling any holes. Will have to consider the loss of underseat storage too, not an easy choice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I try to balance all the plusses & minuses. The Propex (& 2nd tank) fitting into a previously un-accessible space is a significant victory that is worth the loss of a little underseat storage IMHO.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I agree, the passenger underside seems like prime real estate and it would help offset the full camper load issue too (which will keep us from circling the country to the left Smile )

Having the van down south and not in the garage is a bit maddening, but at least it's forcing me to have my ducks in a row. Only have 5 days and don't want to get halfway installed and run into that "oh s***, that's not gonna work!" moment. Thank you for the info!

Oops, another question. The silicone you used - anything special? And any bare metal treatments added? I can probably find anything I need in the Tacoma area, but having it there before my arrival is even better.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

>>>>The silicone I used - is it SPECIAL? Only that it's BLACK. Cool

Today I started on a guard for the propex heater.

Welded of rectangular steel tube.

Mounting tabs are 1/4" and 3/16" thick

I used Riv-nuts for mounting - I like rivnuts. These are M6 size. I hoped to use M8 size but M8s won't fit in the center frame rail (see middle photo above) because there's not enough "depth" in the frame-rail assembly for the height of the (un-collapsed) M8 riv-nut.

I coated them with sealant before shoving them into the hole. I used "Permatex Ultra Grey" which sounds like it might be so ultra gray that it's black (but it's just gray as all good getout Cool ).

Using a home-made manual rivnut setter. I keep putting the official tool in my Amazon shopping cart but fail to buy it for some reason. Then I use this home-made rig again, and it works fine, and I forget to order the official tool.

Heres the 5 mounting points.

I will add a blast fence for rocks tossed up by the the front wheel.

Planning to cover the bottom with expanded steel. That's tomorrow!

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Do you put your Riv-nuts in wet with paint on them for corrosion protection?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Sort of - I put them in wet with Permatex Ultra Gray. Hoping it seals up against the bare metal holes (for corrosion protection).

jberger wrote:
Could I ask about road spray? Propex states in their documentation that although the unit is sealed and made from corrosion "resistant" materials it should be fully protected from road spray.

My experience with Wet and snowy\slushy roads is that the underside of the van gets plastered.. literally. Especially in line with the wheels. Even my drive shaft protection bars and shaft itself get coated with sand\salt and Ice. I would be extremely nervous having my heater hanging down there. Any long term feedback?

Apparently it's made for under-vehicle use, but probably not intended for a direct, forceful water blast. A forward-facing 'fence' seems necessary. On my list is a cargo carrier (forward of the heater) that will protect it from stuff coming up from the front tire. No longterm feedback yet!

Does anybody have a Westfalia heater box they'd like to sell? Especially in Seattle? Please send a PM directly.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

OK I got the guard done, and installed.

Someday I'll make a cargo compartment for the area (ahead of the heater) that will shield it from rocks and spray off the front wheel.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Exceptionally well done!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Got a question from a member that I didn't show the final warm air outlet. He;s right! So here it is.

Heres the ducts coming up from below into the rear seat storage area. I have not yet built my intake screen/box. The return air just comes in around the gap under the seat.

Dimensions where I cut my hole. There's a 3/8 in just about every dimension on this job. I don't know why.

Warm air. Normally you want your outlet far from the intake. But a van just doesn't have that much space. So here I'm hoping the moving jet of airflow gets the warm air AWAY from the intake area. It seems reasonable,, it's a lot of air moving fast.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

i solved this similar, but i put the heater away from the door to the driver side of my split to make sure i am not heating the outside.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I made another guard, mostly just to practice welding aluminum. I hoped this Aluminum unit would look better, lightweight and rust-free.

Hers a pic of the "old" and the new.
The gray is the steel guard I made in 2016.
Silver is the Aluminum unit (made today).

Some of the welds are nice. It's aluminum wire-feed, with a spoolgun, and the sq tube is .120" thick.
Most welds came out OK, but the three VISIBLE welds, are gloppy, dangit. Twisted Evil It's strong cuz welded on both sides, but the three worst welds are visible under the slider door. If I did it again I would weld only the backside.

Sometimes the MIG welds easy, other times, with no apparent difference in method or preparation, it "welds crappily". Also I can't discern a weight difference between the Alu and the steel version.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 am; edited 3 times in total
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

If you feel like improving your technique and making another to sell, I'm in! Doing that install this spring.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I'd make another if you are happy with welds like what you see here cuz that's all I got. They could be better or worse. It would be plenty strong enough just welded on the backside (omitting the visible weld). Steel is easier, but then you have to paint it. Send a PM if interested. Wink

Maybe a guy/gal could use the guard to support the Propex (rather than screwing the propex up to the bottom of the floor). You'd have to do a little further fabrication to attach the Propex to the guard. You can get aluminum shapes at HomeDepot and use self-tapping screws (or tap the holes).

Would be interesting to compare the sound/silence of mine (rubber mounted) to a Propex that's solid-mounted.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Anyone else who has done this mod, or is planning to, and wants to get a rock guard from Sodo, PM me! I'm doing it this spring, and think the guard is perfect. Best spot for the Propex, and way too expensive and time-consuming mod not to have it protected properly.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I know a guy who did the Westy - passenger side additional storage 'box'. It required cutting out the floor...but he was able to put his propex, and aux battery in that storage box.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I made four of these Aluminum guards, sold two last spring.
Today I finished #3 and posted in the classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2343655

I'll put the last (aluminum) one together soon if anybody's interested.
It's a little 'less attractive' than #3, but does the job under-the-van.
These seem real simple, but they take more time to build than steel.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

Installed 6 years ago (2016) my Propex 2211 is putting out less heat than I recall.
I have a new Marshall regulator and propane pressure measures 11" WC.

TODAY, this evening the outside temp is 45°F.
Running the Propex:
    thermostat knob at max
    for 45 minutes,
    westy camper top closed,
    the inlet air temp is 165°F
    The temperature in the van is 65°F

I'd like to get more heat out of it.
65°F inside is OK at 45°F but it took a long time to get to 65.
I'd like to be comfortable when it's 20° outside.
Apparently the outlet temp should be around 200°F so I'm certain that it's not putting out full heat.

Does anyone have suggestions to restore performance?

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!) Reply with quote

I've managed 180* F entering the van from my 2211 after adjusting the propane regulator. 200* F would be nice but I think we might be dealing with a heater that has limited capacity to heat the van.

The Propex is amazing in cutting the chill and I appreciate that a lot! Although I'm not sure if it's up to the task of converting 20*F outside to 65* inside. I've been considering a CDH for at least several years as a replacement. Syncro Jael did some comparisons a few years back that showed the improved heating capabilities of a CDH.

As for your questions, Karl at WestyVentures or the gang at RMW may be able to provide tips for restoring your out-of-the-box performance. You're one-step ahead in measuring WC.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: