Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

Putting together my '55 (finally) with the Air Kewld disc brake setup with parking brake. The cables supplied in the kit look like standard type cables that would just run to the parking brake handle assembly like '56 and later beetles. I haven't torn apart the entire original cable assembly in the pan (yes, the type that go to the front of the pan). Will stock new brake cables work with the Air Kewld setup? My original cables were cut at the exit tube outlets on the pan by someone else many years ago.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

The AirKewld kit contains cables long enough to go to the front, the cable ends are bare and the kit includes the threaded ends that mechanically attach to the cable once pulled through. The threaded pieces attach via set screw.

Check your kit for these pieces. You have to cut the cables to length once pulled thru. It's a major pain in the ass, as it's a tight fit to install those ends

I have the same kit...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

Thanks for your post, it explains and helps a LOT! One detail I failed to mention is I purchased this kit back in 2006, apparently there have been some changes made to the parts supplied in the kits. I spoke with Pete and he said that the earlier kits had CB Performance parts in them. This all is making things much clearer.
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Thanks for your post, it explains and helps a LOT! One detail I failed to mention is I purchased this kit back in 2006, apparently there have been some changes made to the parts supplied in the kits. I spoke with Pete and he said that the earlier kits had CB Performance parts in them. This all is making things much clearer.

Correct, it is how we began selling brake kits. We used to sell CB kits that we would cross drill and stud and sent detailed for our clients.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Putting together my '55 (finally) with the Air Kewld disc brake setup with parking brake. The cables supplied in the kit look like standard type cables that would just run to the parking brake handle assembly like '56 and later beetles. I haven't torn apart the entire original cable assembly in the pan (yes, the type that go to the front of the pan). Will stock new brake cables work with the Air Kewld setup? My original cables were cut at the exit tube outlets on the pan by someone else many years ago.

1956 and later? My '57 has the cables terminate at the ebrake handle, unlike '55 and older but like later Bugs, however they are different than the '58 and newer ebrakes. My wheel cylinders are at the bottom and the ebrake cables loop around so they enter from the back. Isn't that normal for oval ebrakes?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

I'm sure you're correct. I was just meaning that '56 and later were all together different. I have emailed with Pete at AirKewld and we have come up with a solution. Thanks Pete!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

FYI-unfortunately, the solution was for me to purchase more products.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

Mark:

I think I posted about this in another thread, but here is what I ended up doing:

1) I used the original 55-earlier cables and cut off the end that attaches to the original drum brake levers

2) I took the threaded ends in Airkewld kit that attach via an Allen set screw, cut off the threads completely and using a bench grinder shaped the part into a cone, leaving the set screw end operational

3) fed the stock cables through, connected the threaded ends at the front adjustment plate at the midpoint of the threads

4) connected the rear end of the cable to the bracket/caliper and measured the cable to the emergency brake lever

5) cut the cable and slid on the modified set screw piece

6) adjusted cables at front to proper setting

By moving the set screw attachment to the rear, I had plenty of room to work

I wish I had pics, but I recently sold my 54...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

txoval, yes we pm'd a few times to figure this out (thanks again). I was just going through some old posts. I was certainly not happy with the follow up decision made by AirKewld.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

I agree, for $1000+ they should make a cable that fits without the BS

All it would require would be to provide a modified stock cable with a "ball end" at the rear connection. With the large adjustment of the threaded end, they should be able to measure the cable and make it right.

I think overall Airkewld makes good products, this one just needs to be revised.

The other issue is market/demand...I would bet the demand for 55 and earlier rear disk brake kits with parking brake is minimal, not excuse, just reality

If I build another oval it will be a 56-57...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '55 Parking Brake with AirKewld Disc Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
txoval, yes we pm'd a few times to figure this out (thanks again). I was just going through some old posts. I was certainly not happy with the follow up decision made by AirKewld.

belongs in his feedback - not necessarily just here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: