Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brand new custom Syncro transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you pay for a new Syncro transaxle?
A) under $5000
32%
 32%  [ 42 ]
B) $5000 - $8000
32%
 32%  [ 42 ]
C) $8000- $10,000
17%
 17%  [ 23 ]
D) $10,000 - $15,000
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
E) Whatever it takes!
9%
 9%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 130

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Awesome gears. Can’t wait !!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

with every great piece of innovation and attention on these, I feel I'll need to save a bit more $$ to afford one..

but there are many other makes of vehicles out there with $5k+ transmissions..
if you love it, show it how much..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

My primary reason for seeing that these various improved Syncro components become available is that I want an ultra-strong trans for my own two Syncros. The business part of it was just a natural progression, as I personally know other guys willing to pay more for the best available parts. The fact that OE parts are becoming scarce while Syncro Vanagon prices are on the rise make these improvements "good timing" (for a change ;^)

Cost? Nothing compared to the skyrocketing prices in the Porsche transaxle market (where 5K might buy you a rebuildable core). That, and the fact that the Syncro trans is so unique, help me keep things in perspective.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Our latest batch of inventory includes a few reduced helix and straight-cut versions of 4th gear, which should eliminate the "orbiting" issue kindly researched and explained by Howesight (in another thread). I'll be installing straight-cut 4ths in my own two transaxles, just as soon as our mainshafts arrive in April. These are strictly meant for SVX and similar conversion vans, in which horsepower is well over double the original design, and which see extreme uphill loading.

Gears shown are: Standard - Reduced Helix - Straight-Cut

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In Porsche world, we continue to sell lots of straight-cut synchronized gears to guys with insane Turbo engined GT3 cars. They report a reasonable noise level, which initially surprised us. We had of course taken extra care in selecting more "streetable" tooth profile and pressure angle to help with noise, so were gratified with the results: gears that lasted quite a bit longer in overpowered street/track cars, without sounding like a Hewland transaxle.

We consider these Vanagon gears "experimental" at this stage .. but based on past experience in Porsche world, they should be quite successful.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

A quiet running straight cut gear would great. I intend to move
forward with my TDI syncro project this spring. I will be refreshing the transaxle as part of the conversion. I will be watching this thread. Thanks for
the commitment. Mark
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

NOTE: Here's a thread where Howesight explains his theory. I think he floated the idea earlier (in another thread) but I couldn't find it. Another discussion of the "4th gear cocking" and erosion of the mainshaft bearing thrust surface in this thread.

gears wrote:
In Porsche world, we continue to sell lots of straight-cut synchronized gears to guys with insane Turbo engined GT3 cars. They report a reasonable noise level, which initially surprised us.

NOTE: GT3s have roll cages inside the car. Those folks would describe ANY exclusive, high cost noise as "reasonable". Besides their travel conversations are not the same as campers touring the National parks etc.

GT3 conversations resemble this: "STFU and hold on!" Laughing Laughing

I'd think that the reduced helix would solve the problem for most. It looks like it cuts the thrust in half. I'm anxious to listen to those gears. I assume you'll put a straight cut in the SVX and a reduced helix in the EJ-25?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

That is great news for the embattled Syncro transaxle, Pablo. I am watching for availability of your last bits to have my transaxle rebuilt with all these quality parts, pressure lubrication and cooling. Mrs. Howesight will be very pleased after the rebuild since I am always on her case not to exceed 72 mph, my arbitrary "do not exceed" speed. Of course, for passing, we exceed that without a worry, but for long runs on cruise control, it's 72 mph.

Frankly, for occasions when we just have to get some miles behind us, I can live with the high fuel consumption of 80 or 85 mph and I am looking forward to being able to do that.

Many thanks for the commitment and follow-through.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

The GT3R & GT3RS track cars are indeed factory dedicated track cars, but various street models including the GT3 are often heavily modded by their owners for various types of outlaw racing (Texas Mile etc).

I don't think 2.5 conversions need anything other than standard helical gears. SVX and TDI are another story. TDI guys in particular overly lug in 4th gear, which IMO exacerbates the orbiting issue. Perhaps the reduced helix gear will prove to be a sufficient compromise for all .. only time will tell.

I'm hoping to perform comparative noise testing in a controlled environment, using German Transaxle's transaxle dynometer. My own SVX Westy will have straight-cut 4th regardless, as I really push that van hard uphill.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Gears,

Please give me your address so I can have my tax returns sent directly to you.

Thank you,
Eli
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

If you could also measure the noise inside the vehicle with some off the shelf app so the rest of us know where we compare, that would be great. I know in my TDI, interior noise is much louder anyway due to the engine. I might not hear a straight cut gear at all at freeway speeds.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Thanks for that input, Hans .. TDI is a prime candidate for reduced helix or straight-cut.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

The prototype billet housings are almost there ..

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Wow. It looks shiny. It also looks like the outcome of years of work and learning. Well done.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

NOT my handiwork .. I'm just the input guy. That's the standard version, applicable to 2WD and stock nose cone.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Beautiful machining. Thanks for the update. The longer I put off my syncro project, the more transaxle options seem to appear. That's good news. mark
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

gears wrote:

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Here ya go!!!
Better quality parts!!!
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Soooo nice looking. Very Happy
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

I think I just wet myself Embarassed
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

gears wrote:

This looks amazing! Along with new gears, new mainshaft, new R&P, New everything else that is available.

I am all in once they are available. And my transaxle savings account is refurbished.

Thank you Paul!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for a Tom Hanks type millionaire to step up and initiate an all new Syncro transaxle. Laughing

Gears; looking really great! What's the main advantage of the billet compared to the all new aluminum housings?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: