Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI Timing belt change... Moved camshaft by error :s HELP!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amplemanmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: TDI Timing belt change... Moved camshaft by error :s HELP! Reply with quote

Hi... I'm looking for some help on what to do next ... I am changing timing belt on BEW Jetta 2006 TDI engine. Had a hard time getting the belt to fit so a friend came to help and did the mistake of loosening up the 18mm center bolt of the camshaft, and therefore moved the camshaft Sad
Now the 4z mark on the plastic frame doesn't line up with the groove, and the pin tool doesn't line up with the hole anymore.
I thought, I'll take out the belt and tightening back the center camshaft bolt to be lined up again with it's marks. Would that work or is that a bad idea?!
Any other ideas?
Hope someone out there can help.
Thanks.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: TDI Timing belt change... Moved camshaft by error :s HELP! Reply with quote

The center part of the cam pulley is wedge mated to the cam, snug the center bolt until the cam starts to move, set the pin & install the belt, loosen the three outer 13mm bolts & set the timing & adjust the tensioner. Once the tensioner is adjusted, tighten the three 13mm bolts & find a socket that fits the one outer holes in the pulley find a prybar that you can lock between the socket & one of the 13mm bolts & then tighten the center bolt (Do NOT try to tension the center bolt using the lock pin.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: