Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peloquin guts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

No, sorry, not pelican guts, Peloquin torque biasing differential guts. I had to take mine apart to clean it out after a R&P grenaded. I found it quite interesting so I thought I would share the glorious guts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Dang, that looks impressive! I take it it survived the grenading? Looks pretty intact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, Chris.

I have a question... about six weeks ago we got stuck in deep gravel. I had to work the clutch pretty hard in getting out -- though within reason and briefly -- and have smelled asbestos ever since.

Is there anything in a Peloquin that might produce this smell?

I think I overheated the clutch a skosh, as I do have minor chatter that *seems* to be getting better. I suspect I may have slightly warped the pressure plate, though everything seems to work okay save for mild chatter if not at the perfect rev upon pedal release... but I'm asking in being able to eliminate a damaged Peloquin as the offending issue.

It and the clutch and the transaxle rebuild all have less than 10K, so I'm a bit nervous...

Sorry for the stray, please let me know. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

No, your smell is purely clutch.

I'll post up some photos of Gary's Syncro version TBD later today. It's slightly different than the 2WD one Christopher shows. Both are very nice quality IMO .. FAR better Quality control than Quaife or some of the other brand TBDs.

For the heck of it, here's an inside pic of our GT Type 1 swingaxle TBD: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1744118.jpg
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Thaks for that, now I know what’s back there.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

— Colin Chapman
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

To compare the 2WD and 4WD Vanagon versions, here's Gary Peloquin's Syncro TBD:

To accommodate the full locking feature, "shorty" gears were required ..

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

how the heck do designers figure this stuff out? i mean, seriously, my brain just does not envision this stuff from scratch. i'm awed.

-dan
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

CAD programs ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

i guess it is sorta just a SUN planetary gear only with helical cut gears. i can get that but just the ability to design and cut a helical gear alone blows me away. lots of smart people out there.

-dan
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

I swear by Peloquin products!

I have had a Quaife differential and Peloquin in similar type HP and Geared GTI's i owned at the same time.
The Peloquin always engaged smoother and sooner/faster and provided better traction! The one in my drag car is going on 14 years old..never missed a beat!
plus Gary! he handles anything no questions asked! good guy!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

I think I overheated the clutch a skosh, as I do have minor chatter that *seems* to be getting better. I suspect I may have slightly warped the pressure plate, ...

Hey E1... the possibility of cracks in the face of your flywheel are significant with the kind of behavior you mentioned, and the smell it made. Sorry, BTDT

Hope you find out that it is either fine, OR that it is cracked and you replace it BEFORE it bites you where the sun don't shine. Engine or trans out to take a look, your choice.

-bobby
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Since we're on the subject of TBD's, would this style of diff -- either Peloquin or Quaife -- be unhappy running "backward" long-term? Asking because of the reverse-rotation 1.8t /012 5-speed combination.

Though I do notice only Quaife seems to list a TBD for that transaxle...
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
be unhappy running "backward" long-term?

It doesn’t run, so it can’t “run backwards”. It is like a differential gear in the sense that it only does anything when both wheels are rotating at different speeds. In all straight-ahead driving the unit is totally passive. In reverse gear it behaves just like in forward.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Damn, those things are beautiful!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

tristessa, not only can a TBD be run in reverse, but the internal gears (which have complimentary angles) can be swapped side-to-side.

(.. and as one customer shared, you can stuff one of these diffs down your pants to really impress your honey on Valentine's ;^)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

gears wrote:

(.. and as one customer shared, you can stuff one of these diffs down your pants to really impress your honey on Valentine's ;^)

Or...you could just put your diff in a box.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Its a fascinating piece of engineering. And I do not fully understand the principle though.

I believe they both (Peloquin and Quaife) originates from the Torsen (Torque Sensing) diff developed by the Gleason Company in the late fifties?
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
gears wrote:

Or...you could just put your diff in a box.

Laughing
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin guts Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Its a fascinating piece of engineering. And I do not fully understand the principle though.

The simplicity makes it difficult to understand. You are probably thinking it's more complicated. Think "simple" and you will understand it.

I don't know if this translates to Norwenglish. If You could see me waving my arms you would understand, I'm certain! Wink

The cylindrical worms rattle around in holes (bores). If everything is loosey-goosey they allow the L & R axles to "work it out". Any funny-business and the cylinders (lots of them all at the same time !) rub against the sides of the hole they're in - and it locks. And there is the natural friction of worm gears too. And the natural friction of back-driving lots of worm gears, it all adds up to "LOCK".

Hope that helps. Rolling Eyes

OddN wrote:
I believe they both (Peloquin and Quaife) originates from the Torsen (Torque Sensing) diff developed by the Gleason Company in the late fifties?

One difference is - I don't think the Peloquin does much to "divide torque" like a Torsen would. It simply "locks". It's kind of like the Syncro vacuum-operated locker in that way, either "locked" or "not" but automatic. Wink

This is why people "suggest" the Peloquin may not work well on glare ice. But my Peloquin seemed to be fine on ice. But there are lots of different ice conditions out there, flat roads, side slopes, water on ice, dry cold ice on and on and on. I've never seen a valid comparison test - which would be a very difficult test dependent on weather conditions and drivers and tires and eqpt, and on and on and on. So all we have is speculation currently.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: