Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery Transmission
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

So I went to a local swap meet and picked up a new (to me) transmission and it has writing on the side of the case. I asked the seller what it meant and he said he didn't know. It says NEW 11/96 11,188. My guess is that its "New" and 11,188 is the milage, but I have no clue what 11/96 could be. I'm no expert on VW transmissions and I'm sure someone on the samba is. So what could it mean?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Looks like a 73-79 SSC (Single Side cover) 4 speed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Could be that trans was installed "new" into a car in November of 1996 when it had 11,188 miles showing on the odometer, possibly marked as such by the shop that installed it in case the car came back for warranty coverage. Without being able to talk to whomever wrote on the trans, it's all just guessing as to what exactly it means.
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I know what it is, I was just curious about the writing on the side Smile

mukluk wrote:
Could be that trans was installed "new" into a car in November of 1996 when it had 11,188 miles showing on the odometer, possibly marked as such by the shop that installed it in case the car came back for warranty coverage. Without being able to talk to whomever wrote on the trans, it's all just guessing as to what exactly it means.

Huh, I haven't thought about that, this seems like a great explanation.
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Maybe rebuilt 11/96 and only has 11,188 miles on it

Just saying
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

or 111,188 miles, which is more logical being twenty years old when tagged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

it looks to me like Junk yard writing. It was pulled out of the car at the junk yard
11/96 and 11188 miles on trans. I have seen this with parts I have bought at the Junk Yard
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Hi. Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone identify these two VW transmissions? I've read Daniel G.'s "Transmissions for Dummies" article and I still don't know what these are. I bought a lot of VW stuff from a nice guy who told me that these were "high torque bus transmissions" intended for Baja builds. So, what are they?

Thanks for the help. I'm new to VW's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I wrote the final drive ratio, Odometer reading, and installation date on this trans. So it could be that.

Wouldn't a single side cover have no side cover on that side?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Bill T. wrote:
Hi. Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone identify these two VW transmissions? I've read Daniel G.'s "Transmissions for Dummies" article and I still don't know what these are. I bought a lot of VW stuff from a nice guy who told me that these were "high torque bus transmissions" intended for Baja builds. So, what are they?

Thanks for the help. I'm new to VW's

The first one at least is definitely a transaxle out of a split windshield bus, I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, but I'd say 1961-1967. The identifier is the reduction gear box mounted at the end of each axle tube. I can't say for certain the second trans is also the same or not since I can't see the ends of the swingaxle tubes.
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply regarding the transmission. I will get the identifiers off of them next week when I go on another parts run. I met a guy with a mountain of VW parts, two cars, engines, and trannies. So, me not knowing anything about VW's, what's the most logical thing to do?? I bought it all. I originally went to talk w him about an engine for a 78 Super Beetle that I am rebuilding and now I own a half truckload of parts.

So, extra dumb question, but what is a transaxle from a split window bus used for other than making a split window bus go forward and reverse!😂
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Really I wouldn't identify a transmission by what's bolted to it. Look for the numbers stamped into the case. It will tell you what they started out as anyway.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Reply with quote

Bill T. wrote:
So, extra dumb question, but what is a transaxle from a split window bus used for other than making a split window bus go forward and reverse!😂

The RGB trans setups from old busses were popular for a while in buggies and bajas due to the extra gear reduction provided by the gear boxes at the axle tube ends -- they help overcome the added weight and resistance encountered when installing oversize tires. An added bonus is the RGB setup also provides a few extra inches of ground clearance, useful when one is driving on uneven, rocky, or rutted terrain. You can bip on over to the HBB-Offroad section of the forum to do some more reading on the subject if you wish.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=9
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: