Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

The knobs on the pop-out latches for my '70 Ghia Coupe are a creamy plastic material. I have a spare pair of what looks like the exact same knobs that are chromed metal. What years would be chromed and what years creamy plastic? Inquiring minds want to know!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

Im not sure of the changeover year from white to chrome. It may be 66,67 but by 68 im sure they were the chromed metal.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Im not sure of the changeover year from white to chrome. It may be 66,67 but by 68 im sure they were the chromed metal.

Well then if you're so certain about that, you can be the one to tell poor kiwighia68 that there's another part of his gorgeous restoration project that isn't quite exactly correct.
From his photo gallery ...

Just please don't tell him until after he completes his Saving Emiko novel and posts up the concluding summary for all of us here that have been so very patiently waiting. Smile

I did also find this other image when searching the Ghia Coupe Photo Gallery ...

dahollen wrote:
70 Ghia Quarter Window & Trim Removal

... which seems to indicate that at least by 1970 the knobs were the chrome style.

To further confuse the issue, though, there was also this photo too ...

Loren wrote:
Ghia pop out window latches - These photos show the two different pop out latches. The one on the left is for 60-63 Ghias and the one on the right is for 64-74

Although that photo for the 64-74 style latch features the chrome style knob, that doesn't necessarily imply that the chrome style knob was used for that entire two decade span.
Rather, I believe he meant to address the latch mechanism itself and not necessarily the knob attatched to the latch.

Oh, and BTW I just stuck my head out into the garage and saw that the knobs on my 1967 Karmann Ghia pop out window latches are the chrome style knobs.
Confused yet?

I know that I am. Very Happy

If I had to guess, I'd say the switch was made to the chrome style pop out latch knob at the same time the dashboard knobs switched from the ivory plastic "tulip" style to the round black plastic style - the 1967 model year.

Is it possible, though, that different style knobs were used in different markets (North America, Europe, Japan, etc.) during the same model year?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

So, you are saying I knobbed it up? or I nailed it?
I know Kiwi has the "wrong" knobs, i recall noticing during his resto. I dont think I mentioned it cause he is so nice and was feeding us Emiko updates on the regular. Very Happy
BTW, I bet Loren knows. Or, you Darryl, Darrell, or your other brother Daryl could check progressive changes and get back to us. Like the pres, Im not much for reading. that's not political is it?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

Well if you want to just go and throw kiwighia68 under the Originality bus by coming right out and saying that his pop out latch knobs are indeed the wrong style, then go right ahead.

Personally, I myself wouldn't be so cold and callus like that and plant a seed of discontent that is destined to grow and ruin his pride and satisfaction of a restoration job very well done ... but if you want to do that to the poor guy and can live with it, then it's all on you.
Wink

If his pop out latches are indeed "wrong" for his 1968 model year Ghia, though, then I'd be much more confident in thinking that the style did indeed change in the same model year that the dashboard knobs changed - the 1967 model year.

I have to wonder, though ... is it possible that DeVillers knowingly installed the wrong style pop out latch knobs on Emiko's Karmann Ghia because those ivory plastic knobs were easier for him to hollow out and make a secret hiding place for the microfilm which contains all of the important sensitive information (names, dates, Swiss bank account numbers, etc.)?

A little further searching of previous threads did uncover the names of two experts that certainly must know which style is correct for which model year as they both offer the pop out knobs for sale ...

From THIS THREAD, ...
copellos wrote:
New ghia shaped pop out knobs - There done adv in ivory silver beige black or brushed alum

and from THIS THREAD, ...
John Moxon wrote:
"Brezelwerks" is the knob guy here on the Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10342
...ads: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Brezelwerks

Don't think he has any currently in his ads but email him.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

Quote:
Well if you want to just go and throw kiwighia68 under the Originality bus by coming right out and saying that his pop out latch knobs are indeed the wrong style, then go right ahead.

Is the originality bus logoed? I think i have seen it before.
Kiwi is a big boy and he knows what he is doing. He didn't go down the bone stock trail. IIRC he wrote the book on installing Porsche seats for goodness sakes. I keep my microfilm in the radio knobs for simple access, plastic explosive in the heel of my shoe-phone and minicamera in the swanneck mirror.
I will have to agree 67 seems like first year for Chrome knobs.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

I looked at the Ghia owner's manuals here on the Samba, and though these are not always the most accurate source for identifying changes they appear to shed some light on this topic. From the images in the manuals it looks like 60-66 Ghias had white plastic knobs for the quarter windows. 67 on up Ghias appear to have the chrome knobs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

The knobs on my 1971 are ivory colored.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

^^^That type f stuff happens after 40-50 years. Smile
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic vs. chromed metal knobs on the pop out window latches? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
^^^That type f stuff happens after 40-50 years. Smile

Could be that one of the who knows how many prior owners thought ivory looked better than chrome. I like the way it looks.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: