Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Robbie is building another engine…
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
Dammit, Robbie, break something and get this back on track before we get spanked for having fun!

Eh, too late. Heard a chirp from the right rear today over a speed bump, and pulled the torsion bushings out for inspection. Took one picture during the process.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's my squeak! Bushings rotated, and Real Talc Powder applied. I'll put new ones in some time this decade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Im getting tired of all these claims that VW people are cheap..

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Im getting tired of all these claims that VW people are cheap..

[img]

Cheap? Me? Re-use torsion bushings by lathering up with cancer powder? Who told YOU? Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Hey, that jack is no good for that. Even just for the picture. I know you won't go underneath, but fab up some bushings to lift Bernstein Bus up, please.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

i click on an engine build thread & i get bottle jack bushing hijacked-
miso disappointed. : (
show me more bad engine parts!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
i click on an engine build thread & i get bottle jack bushing hijacked-
miso disappointed. : (
show me more bad engine parts!

Here’s some of the “wall of shame” I’ve seen on my travels...

And the Game Winner of them all, the reason for the current engine build!

Those are just the recent engine fail pictures... we’ve got chassis, brake, shifter, and bodywork fails too!
Robbie
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

any ETA on the live stream engine build?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

the wall of shame clutch I can understand. it has no snubbers in it. Since the trans and the flywheel have none the clutch plate was the weakest link...

The bent valve may have been a weak valve spring(s) or an over rev.

Now that I see the bent valve I have to wonder if the tappet died the same death as the valve even if different rebuilds.

Cam bearings - hammer on me, weak springs etc., uneven loading and I'd feel worn out too.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Yes, two weeks. Waiting on a cam delivery from Web at the moment. The short block assembly will be in one segment, about an hour long, and the long block will be the following weekend, about two hours long.

My best guess is that the cam arrives Saturday and I’ll be able to stream on Monday evening. I’ll be using YouTube, so it will work on all devices, it won’t require an account to watch, and it will be archived for future viewing.

I jokingly thought to add a donate button... Laughing
Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Yes, two weeks. Waiting on a cam delivery from Web at the moment. The short block assembly will be in one segment, about an hour long, and the long block will be the following weekend, about two hours long.

My best guess is that the cam arrives Saturday and I’ll be able to stream on Monday evening. I’ll be using YouTube, so it will work on all devices, it won’t require an account to watch, and it will be archived for future viewing.

I jokingly thought to add a donate button... Laughing
Robbie

Just cleaning the parts should take you 2 - 3 hours. Fitting the mains to the case, and assembling the crankshaft / rods should be another hour and a half to two. You have to inspect each rod, each rod bolt, each nut one last time. Getting the peen right on the nuts is 5 minutes alone. If you plasti-gauge the rod bearings and split shells you have one - two hours there because you have to clean up again. Setting the end play on the short block can be a 15 minute or a 30 minute thing. What's with this "hour thing?"
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Shit, am I going to finish my engine before you?

Btw, cheers from New Zealand.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Shit, am I going to finish my engine before you?

Btw, cheers from New Zealand.

never happen, the packa rat-roos will steal all your parts and put them 10' underground.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Every single part has already been ruthlessly cleaned, measured, and cleaned again. The only thing I have left to do is measure cam bearing clearance, gear mesh, and cam end play. Once the cam clearances are all set and cam is re-cleaned, I’ll practically be assembling a Lego set. Razz

I’ve assembled the complete short block two or three times on the bench to measure everything and test fit. (I wanted to be absolutely sure the counterweighted crank addition won’t cause any clearance issues, even if the end play were to open up beyond spec.) End play is already set, but the flywheel won’t be installed because I live on the fourth floor and have to carry the engine down as a longblock to get it to ground level... Also missing from the short block will be the oil pump, since it’s in the current engine in the work parking lot right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I will NOT be rushing anything, and there’s always the possibility that I’ll have to call it off mid-build and reschedule, but enough people sent me messages asking to watch the process, that I will appease them and MAYBE create an educational resource in the process. If nothing else, I’ll screw up on record so we can have a discussion about better shop practices for future engine builders!

Robbie
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Every single part has already been ruthlessly cleaned, measured, and cleaned again. The only thing I have left to do is measure cam bearing clearance, gear mesh, and cam end play. Once the cam clearances are all set and cam is re-cleaned, I’ll practically be assembling a Lego set. Razz

I’ve assembled the complete short block two or three times on the bench to measure everything and test fit. (I wanted to be absolutely sure the counterweighted crank addition won’t cause any clearance issues, even if the end play were to open up beyond spec.) End play is already set, but the flywheel won’t be installed because I live on the fourth floor and have to carry the engine down as a longblock to get it to ground level... Also missing from the short block will be the oil pump, since it’s in the current engine in the work parking lot right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I will NOT be rushing anything, and there’s always the possibility that I’ll have to call it off mid-build and reschedule, but enough people sent me messages asking to watch the process, that I will appease them and MAYBE create an educational resource in the process. If nothing else, I’ll screw up on record so we can have a discussion about better shop practices for future engine builders!

Robbie

Any chance Colin will joining the festivities and watching the build? I wonder if he'd blow your phone up mid-build asking WTH are you doing that Robbie!??! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Any chance Colin will joining the festivities and watching the build? I wonder if he'd blow your phone up mid-build asking WTH are you doing that Robbie!??! Laughing

Ha! It will be online for posterity, but I hope anyone watching will feel inclined to chime in and leave real time comments!

My phone will be turned off though… I can't handle the interruptions.
Robbie
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Ha! It will be online for posterity, but I hope anyone watching will feel inclined to chime in and leave real time comments!

My phone will be turned off though… I can't handle the interruptions.
Robbie

Robbie . . .
. . . that squeak you reported up above?
Not the bushing. That is not the worst bushing I have seen. The squeak is evident in the end of the spring plate retainer. The torsion bar is slightly out. A few mighty thwacks with a hammer against a big spacer (socket) will drive the torsion bar in 1/4" or so, and then it won't contact the retainer plate any more.
ColinOnTheRoadToMiami

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Robbie - be sure you cover in the video the things you have already done to prepare for putting the parts together. IMHO - Prep, right machine work, including a clean work area is 70% of a build. The parts are 20% and the build is 10%. All have to mesh. The video is only going to cover the 10% unless you mention those things in it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Packaroos Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy - great picture, Steve

That is also a great picture of the rare 12 valve air cooled engine, its a Type 3 part, of course.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Funny, the right side torsion bar was absolutely seated all the way. And that was the side the chirp was coming from! Judicious talc did solve the squeak, but I’ll go back into the left side today and send that bar home.

It was nice to scrub the bottom of the wheel wells and reapply undercoat, but the majority of my time was spent cleaning out 49 years of road detritus from the bump stop drain holes. I easily spent an hour on each side, and my HOA will be sending me a letter about the mess, I’m sure.

Steve, you bet I’ll be talking about the specs, tolerances, cleanliness factors, and measuring. I didn’t spend the last few months rejecting part after part just to give people the impression that they could build this in an afternoon... And it absolutely Will Not be a step by step tutorial! By describing what I’m doing out loud, it will force me to think more consciously about what I’m doing, so I don’t do shit like put the distributor drive pinion in 180* out like I did in Colorado. But hey, if that was the biggest mistake I made building the short block without a book....

Robbie
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
so I don’t do shit like put the distributor drive pinion in 180* out like I did in Colorado.

Robbie
Friends don’t let friends assemble drunk.... Cool JK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 23

Jump to: