Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vacuum Hose Set-Up
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 72 Bus with a 2000cc T4. I'm installing a set of Weber 40IDFs this weekend and an SVDA distributor in the near future once it arrives. Currently my only vacuum line is from my intake manifolds to the servo. Once I add distributor vacuum lines, is it important which part of my vacuum lines I tee the distributor vacuum line into?

Does it need to be connected to both intake manifolds or just one? Does the brake servo lose vacuum by some being routed to the distributor?

Lastly, I've read that some people prefer metal vacuum lines and that is what my bus has right now for the servo vacuum. Should I keep using those or move to all non-metal lines?

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

Metal or non metal is up to you, careful with rubber hoses though, if they are not reinforced and rated for vacuum they will collapse when warm and your brakes suddenly suprise you by requiring much more effort to stop.

The vacuum advance must be connected to the advance port on the carb(s), Teeing it into the brake supply will result in full advance all the time, some Tee both carbs advance lines together, others just use one, either works in most cases.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy! That makes a lot of sense, I didn't even think about the carbs having a separate vacuum port besides the servo port in the intake manifold.

I've also heard about some sort of U-bend put into the distributor vacuum line to prevent fuel from potentially getting into the vacuum can. Is this correct?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

the Type 1 used a metal "shepard's crook" to keep fuel out of the vacuum canister. I have done it with a loop of fuel line also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

RossM96 wrote:
Thank you busdaddy! That makes a lot of sense, I didn't even think about the carbs having a separate vacuum port besides the servo port in the intake manifold.

I've also heard about some sort of U-bend put into the distributor vacuum line to prevent fuel from potentially getting into the vacuum can. Is this correct?

The servo is not connected to ported vacuum whereas that is the norm for distributor vacuum.

Many aftermarket duel carbs lack a nipple for ported vacuum, a lot of people run 009 dizzies at least partially for this reason.
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

Here is the vacuum port on one of the 40IDF carbs on my '77 2.0L (it's covered with a plugged up piece of hose):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm in a situation similar to that of the OP: I'm running a 009 right now, but I have the 205P SVDA that goes with the original fuel injection system. I'd like to run the SVDA and there's that convenient vacuum port on the carb...

Is the vacuum signal from the 40IDF equivalent to that of the FI throttle body? Is it at least close enough? Will I hurt anything if I connect up the 205P?

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose Set-Up Reply with quote

Randy that’s exactly what I needed to see thanks!

Wildthings, thanks for explaining the difference. I’m new to vacuum setup, my Beetle before my bus had a 009 and no brake booster so any vacuum ports were plugged.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: