Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

Here some pics from my Swingaxle zf diff. It sure was used as all bolts where broken
Also they drove offroad while missing one axleboot ..

My excuse it took ahwile , something with veteran and ptsd ..my other” hobby” [img]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

As you can see , lot of damage was done .
Need all small hardware and bearings .

Teeth ,pinion etc are pretty ok . Nothing broken or extraordinairy wear.
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

Schrauber jan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

Did you got all the parts needed?
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

I bought a used setup with sperre and only 47000 km on it ..
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

I'll bring this thread back to life with this part I found while searching.

https://www.tractionconcepts.com/VW-IRS-Type-1-Air-Cooled-Limited-Slip-p/tcxvw9271.htm
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

Looks like a variation on the Phantom Grip, which are not true limited slips. General consensus is products like that have minimal improvement in traction, if any, and only lead to more wear on the differential. I’ve never used one and am not inclined to try.

Gripper Differentials in the UK makes a new limited slip for IRS type 1, but I haven’t heard any feedback on it. It does look like they offer you some different options for ramps and break away torque.

Guard Transmission used to offer swing axle lsd and atb, but I don’t know if they still do.

Quaife offers ATBs for both IRS and swing axle.

ZF limited slips come up for sale periodically in the classifieds.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

joosty_chin wrote:

https://www.tractionconcepts.com/VW-IRS-Type-1-Air-Cooled-Limited-Slip-p/tcxvw9271.htm

This is beyond a joke, it's a scam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
joosty_chin wrote:

Why do you say that? Looks like an “e-z locker” , which have been in use for years
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip or locker for VW transaxle Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Bruce wrote:
joosty_chin wrote:

Why do you say that? Looks like an “e-z locker” , which have been in use for years

The E-Z locker is just a slightly better piece of shit (as far as locking goes). You need to look at how it installs and engages with the stock parts of your diff. Then you need to use your mechanical aptitude to think about how it will work (or won't).

The E-Z locker replaces your stock spider gears with 2 large gears that mesh with your side gears. These two gears are spring loaded to push them into your side gears. As you go around a corner, these two gear interfaces will skip. This will make a hugely annoying ratcheting noise every time you turn the steering wheel. As the two gears skip, there will be an incredible amount of wear on them because gears are never designed to skip teeth. In a short period of time, it will just wear out your gear teeth. If such a device was available for a VW, it will quickly put a lot of metal shavings into the oil. This will then wipe out the rest of your gearbox.
Here's what a Ford shop owner had to say about them:
"you do not want a detroit ez locker. they are junk."
"i have installed EZ lockers just to have customers come back and say take it out. I actually gave one away yesterday to a guy."

Getting back to your tractionconcepts part. Did you notice how you can't get a clear picture of what it looks like? They have one pic of a generic version and they use that pic for every car they cover.
In that pic, your stock spider gears stay in the diff. The two blocks are again spring loaded so that they push the side gears hard against the diff housing, trying to create some friction. The interface between your stock side gears and the housing is designed to minimize friction, so the tractionconcepts is less than a feeble attempt at limiting the differential action. The amount of force pushing the side gears against the housing is fixed, and is only the force of the little springs.

Here's a pic of a true limited slip diff:

The discs that are splined on their ID engage over the splines of the side gears. This means they turn with the side gears all the time. The discs with the 4 outer tabs engage in slots in the diff housing, so they turn with the housing all the time. The discs are oriented to alternate, outer keyed, inner splined, outer keyed. This allows the inner splined discs to be clamped by the two outer keyed discs.

The part in the bottom right corner is called a pressure ring. See how it has 4 V-grooves in it? The shafts for the spider gears ride in those V-grooves. As you apply power, the shafts will force the two pressure rings apart, clamping down on the inner splined discs. This will reduce the differential action of the diff. More power = more clamping force. With enough power, it will lock the diff completely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: