Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance Reply with quote

I'm running 96mm hypereutectics in a T1. The 94mm AAs run around .0028" to .003". I used the percentage from the 94s to figure that I need .0032" clearance. Is .0032" adequate clearance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance Reply with quote

Sorry I did not get to your question in my PM. EMW is one of the firat aircooled groups that Keith Black made HE pistons for. They have a lot of experience.

Here is an interesting resource:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/2clearancerequirementsforhypereutecticpistons.php

Note if you scroll down that they recommend around .003"+....but that is for....I interpret.....a sand rail application.

The HE pistons have less expansion.....supposedly. I would have a serious chat with EMW. They have a lot of experience. Ask them for exactly what application they think their tighter piston to cylinder clearance is best for. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance Reply with quote

Yeah .003 sounds about right.
Or.... I'd say, at least .0015 more than the minimum, if you are adapting it from watercooled normalish engine.

With any piston the clearance will depend on the design of the piston, and cam grind on it, so.....hard to say for sure.
What is the piston supposed to fit?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance Reply with quote

It's either a domestic piston, and he paid Silvolite to machine them for a different pin size or a completely custom piston. I found a piston with the same specs, but with a larger pin, so that's my guess.

Ray, I actually walked-in and spoke with him. He mentioned that he runs .002" in Buses, and they should run hotter than my T1. I measured .778" halfway up the skirt, and he has his T4 barrels machined for .780".

It is possible that his pistons don't expand as much as an AA, but I feel like I want to err on the side of caution and do .003".

Oh, btw the skirts are uncoated. Should I use some sort of friction coating?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance Reply with quote

Sounds good.
IMO, don't bother with coating the skirts.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Piston/Cylinder Clearance Reply with quote

Great! Thanks! I called today to ask for an extra thou.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: