Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_the_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question Reply with quote

I just bought a rear bumper for my buggy from Meyers Manx, but I'm not sure how the lower bracket is supposed to attach. The instructions say that I'm supposed to attach it to the rear fork, where the transmission cradle is, but the bracket doesn't fit that location.

This is the mounting bracket that came with it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is my rear fork. Notice how the bracket has two holes, but the mounting location only has one bolt. There is a raised lip that surrounds the bolt, and there doesn't appear to be any way to use it without cutting out that gusset. So either I have the wrong bracket, the wrong transmission mount, or there is another solution that I'm not seeing. Anybody know what the problem is?

FYI - This is the bumper I'm talking about. Thanks!

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question Reply with quote

You can use washers as a spacer to clear that bracket on the trans mount or else grind that section down until you have the clearance......I myself would use a couple washers for a spacer to clear it......make sure your bolts are still long enough if you space it out to clear.

Once you have it fitted you can cut the other side of the mount tube off or else leave it there in case you want to mount a skid plate or something.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question Reply with quote

I’d also shim it out.
I think the assumption is most buggies use a different trans mount.

AMAC
mike_the_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question Reply with quote

Great idea. I'll try that. Thanks for your help!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question Reply with quote

Be careful shimming it. You may pull the bolt out far enough that very little thread may remain in the trans support forks.

The transaxle mount you have is not a stock unit. The stock unit did not have the lower cupped lip which allowed the bottom bumper bracket support to just slip under the large bolt and re-tighten. I would suggest cutting the outside cupped lip off of the bolt area to retain as much threaded engagement in the trans support forks as possible.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx Rear Bumper Question Reply with quote

Another option is to figure out where it needs to be, and just weld the tube mounts on the rear trans mount.

On a Manxter I built, when doing the Subaru engine and transaxle conversion, I had to heavily modify the rear bumper mounts. The Subaru trans mount is funky looking and I had to modify it for the deep race oil pan, and then for the bumper. Because it was a custom Turbo set up, the rear bumper had to be shifted back about 4 inches to clear the turbo.

In this picture, you can see the SS bumper tube and the welded lower mount. Buggies are custom, you can customize your own mounting system too.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: