Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the shartruck project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: the shartruck project Reply with quote

so, I needed this like I need a hole in the head.

backstory:

I was hunting around on here for a project that would be pretty easy....I wanted a survivor and really just wanted to do a 1.8t swap. I am so done with welding every mothergrabbing panel in whatever turd I drag home. mind you, I have a fleet of buses, so I know rust. I wanted easy, was willing to pay up for a clean example.

so, I found this 81 in PA. guy was asking real money for it. 70k,and real clean.....but being in CT, I just couldn't get away to take a look (first mistake) but the guy sounded very honest and sent lots of photos. I felt ok about it. sent my shipper with cash in hand to pick it up (I really trust the guy...and he's fantastic if you need anything shipped) only to have him call me and tell me about the rust.

I should have walked....paid my shipper for the time and moved on....

so, I got it here and found this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I said screw it. shoved in in the corner

so, it sat in the corner while I gathered parts, which meant buying a cabriolet and surgically removing the towers. that sucked. I hated every single spot weld with vigor.

got the panels blasted and in epoxy

in the meantime, I just collected parts, and tried to find the motivation for this. I'm going to be buried in this piece of $hit financially, not that I was looking for a flip, as I never sell anything. I guess that's why I'm up to 10 cars.....anyway, fast forward almost a year, and there she sits in the corner still, now being used as a table

so, time to get going....

after dropping the engine, cleaning all of that hateful undercoating off and bracing it, measuring it and bracing it s'more it was time to cut

once I got into it, I found the firewall flange was toast. fvck me....

so, bought ANOTHER car and quartered that up

thankfully, the firewall was in nice shape

so, once again I started to harvest the parts. nothing like taking 2 cars to make one, huh?

got everything test fitted and welded in

the drivers side had issues too...why not, right?

soooo.....rinse and repeat

I have more photos to upload....stay tuned

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

You should get your head examined.

But it looks good so far.

Will it be ready by Father's day?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You should get your head examined.

you my friend are correct.

not sure. I am picking away at it, it is sooooo not a priority but the real motivation is I want (well, need) the shop back and having this scattered in a million pieces isn't helping me. there is a good chance it may be.

it isn't going to be some stupid 'numbers' build...as in I don't want to go chasing HP numbers. just an honest 200/220 horse beater. and I'm adding a/c to it as well.

I have decided sitting in traffic on 95 just sucks when you can't have cold air spew out of the dash in the middle of summer.

are you going to terryfield this year?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Please tell me that 70k was a typo! Pray

And times 2 on head examined! I think it's time to round up your wife and have a VW intervention...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

70K is the amount of money he's going to have into it - If he charges himself for his time. Very Happy

Truck looks cool though, apart from the rust issues.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Ha! No...it really has 70k.....3 owner truck. Honestly, its mint other than the struts. Body has "cap rash" due to the cap, but the bed is 100% perfect minus scuffs from sliding stuff in due to the cap always being on it.

Rockers, floors, lower fender mounts A pillars are fine. I have the window sticker and purchase order as well. If it wasn't a sportruck I would have passed. But, this is my last personal project.....I am soooo done pouring time and money into cars. Time to call it quits with car projects

Rust is due to the stupid vapor cans they used and lack of fender liners like the german built cars had. This will be getting the liners from the donor cabriolet

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Call me silly but I liked the Cabriolet! Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Call me silly but I liked the Cabriolet! Very Happy

me too. it make a fantastic donor Very Happy

I was on the fence about putting the stiffener/reinforcing plates back on. I figured I could get away with not putting them back. but, I DID harvest them and had them blasted...and they were already in epoxy, sooo....may as well, right?

after the panels were welded on, I re-epoxied everything

welded the plates in and seam sealed everything. I used a 2 part 3M "real" sealer on everything followed up with the brush on stuff like the factory did

then went on to paint the engine bay. seeing the fuel lines are a real pain to remove, I just bagged them up

then I had the color 'color mapped' to match the original paint

when that kicked, I bagged the whole nose and got ready to rock-it-line the fender wells

that shit is EVIL, and seals like no ones business. for a split second I did think about color matching the arches, but honestly it wouldn't fit with the 'survivor' theme, and really I wanted to seal all of that work up 100%

here is some carnage of what got cut out

so, picking away I got the new heater core and evaporator all done up to put in the heater box

and blasted some brackets

again, more to come as I upload photos

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Nice! It's a good damned thing that you didn't pick it up in person, I could just see you stuffing that focker's head into every rust hole & shoving the rest of his azz through with your boot, but I'm sure that you think it with every part that you cut out of it & the donors. lookin good.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

the guy I got it from seemed to be a "gentleman enthusiast" and not really a hard core collector type guy.

in the photos, his house was perfect, very well kept. as was the truck. he had no idea about the rust (so he says, and....I tend to believe him)

had I gone down there I probably would have made him very upset with the issues I had found.....and offered him far less. but, there is 2K+ in wheels/suspension so he wasn't afraid to spend the $$$ on the truck

although I am into this for far more than I wanted (and really kind of wish that I walked anyway) it really is a good truck.

anyone that knows me knows that I always go thru them anyway...I don't believe anything anyone says. I was looking to spend "real" money for a clean truck (he was asking 7k+ if I remember) because I just didn't want to weld.....I got it for far less....but it's the lesser of two evils....buy a nice unmolested truck that has every single part as it left Westmoreland or buy some pig in boxes some kids father is kicking out of the garage....

either way, I know the work is done right, it was jigged properly etc....so I guess it is just a live and learn kind of thing. either way, it will be a neat truck when it's done

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

It certainly looked cool when I saw it in person... kick ass restore Skills! Soon it will kick ass on the 95 too!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
It certainly looked cool when I saw it in person... kick ass restore Skills! Soon it will kick ass on the 95 too!

well, thanks. they all look clean till you lift the skirt Laughing

got a new booster and master, because why not? and ran all new brake lines.

I also integrated the 1.8T harness into the original rabbit harness. this allows me to put the ecu under the fuse box. initially, I was going to mount it in the rain tray, but after thinking about it, this is just a cleaner way to go

built the heater box. new evaporator and heater core going in. also re-foamed all of the shutter doors. makes a HUGE difference to the hvac system when the doors are sealed up

trans is cleaned and re sealed. pulled the 5th gear extension housing to replace that seal. it looked as if it was leaking. when that was off I pounded out the clutch push rod bushing and replaced all of that stuff as well

now, I know someone will give me shit about using the 020. I realize it isn't the best idea and if (when Very Happy ) I scatter is all over the road I have a stack of 20-25 of these transmissions kicking around. in 15+ years of driving my other truck I have yet to pop one.

I have already hemorrhaged more money than I want to admit into this thing so when it goes kabang, i'll deal with it then....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

I kind of got stuff out of order as I upload photos....

here it is pre-disassembly

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know what it is with those transmissions, I've beat them relentlessly & never grenaded one, but I've replace hundreds of them for other people. You should be fine as long as you roll into the throttle after the clutch is fully engaged & not shock it like some punk getting out of a Fast & Furious 31 showing.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

If you're into drag racing, then it will probably not hold up. I'm not so that is why I've never had an issue.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

got the engine in

started to lay out the IC piping. going to bring it to a place an get it all bent up so it's 1 piece.

it's funny, in some ways it's tight in others there is more room than you'd think.

doing the a/c wasn't really a big deal, but it's a bit snug at the firewall. I will just hard line the evaporator connections as the original hoses are well, old and just bend all over the place to the point I can't use them.

the biggest most challenging thing was making the compressor mount. seeing this is an AEB with an external water pump there is NO accessory setup that will work.

in the end, it will all fit just fine.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Nice work there. Would never imagine a truck that looked as nice as that could be hiding that nasty rust. Going to be fun when done!
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

thanks

when I get in a better position to remove the cap, you'll see how insanely clean the truck really is.

I will have to snap some photos of the lower fender/A post mounts....100% clean

right now I'm waiting on parts....so I have no real updates at the moment. I can post some minor progress photos a bit later.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

My Rabbit was kinda the opposite, looked rough, but the strut housings were solid. The door jam jam area for the hinges was another story. I was driving across upper Oregon in 0* weather and couldn't get enough heat from it. Turns out there was plenty of ventilation there. Never found it till I was removing front fenders to sell off after I was rear-ended in it. No wonder the fuse box kept getting wet in the rain!
MrPapageorgio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the shartruck project Reply with quote

Thats a beautiful caddy.... great job on the save
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: