Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

We are headed out into the snowy boondocks, so yesterday I bought a new battery for the Van and discovered far fewer places have the stock 41-4 size for the Vanagon. Interestingly, our local WalMart had them on blowout and the guy says they're not restocking it. So it was $75 and I wanted to alert the herd.

Unfortunately, they were out.
Fortunately the WalMart 10 miles away had them.
Unfortunately that WalMart did not get the blowout price from HQ so I had to pay $99.
Fortunately, NAPA's price was $127 so it was still a good deal.

So, the manager at the place I bought said they'd probably see the price change for March 1 in case any of you need a battery at this time. $75 is pretty cheap money, and I may go back and buy another when they're on sale and finally get around to installing a house battery under the driver's seat.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Thanks Doug.

If you are interested in seeing if your local Walmart has the EverStart 41-4 Battery for $75, use the link below.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=16782701
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Thanks! That's a great way to let others see if they can go snag one of these. They're 650CCA/800CA and fit perfectly. The last one made it almost 6 years and that was with some accidental abuse of fully discharging, etc.

With this model disappearing from several mfr's lines we'll have to start a Samba thread on alternate batteries that fit. At some point there will need to be a retro fit with side pole battery cables to fit a modern side pole battery in there.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

I wonder how they will handle warranties??? Think ............

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

If you buy *** in a box with a warranty .....
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
...If you are interested in seeing if your local Walmart has the EverStart 41-4 Battery for $75, use the link below.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=16782701

Interesting app there - I see a locaiton down the road a bit with 2 for $60 @.

Last time I got a replacement I had to go with a T5 which easily fit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My experience with WalMart battery warranties has been all positive. I would expect they would treat you fairly or better. At the very least I expect you would get what you spent (full or pro-rata based on time interval).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

None left in Maryland. ☹️ And they were selling for $49.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

My experience with WalMart battery warranties has been all positive. I would expect they would treat you fairly or better. At the very least I expect you would get what you spent (full or pro-rata based on time interval).

Same here. I've always bought batteries from Wal Mart because if you ever find yourself with a battery issue, Wal Mart is everywhere.

(Special thanks to the fine employees of Dumas, Texas and Silverthorne, Colorado for a couple of emergency battery exchanges over the years.)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

My Walmart 41-4 battery was dying at the end of December and I bought one of the last two they had in inventory for $75.

Took the dying one back a few days later to have them load test it and it was cooked but still under warranty and got the
second as a replacement.

Warranty is simple, they scan your battery and tell you when you purchased it and go from there if they can do anything for you.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

If you buy *** in a box with a warranty .....

They can provide all the warranty papers they can print, it if they no longer make the battery, what will they replace your bad one with??

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
They can provide all the warranty papers they can print, it if they no longer make the battery, what will they replace your bad one with??

Dave

A refund IMO
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
A refund IMO

I for sure would like the answer from them before I purchased one.
(Not that I can, my local stores show zero inventory) 😂

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Well, I bought a boom box from Best Buy with an extended warranty. It broke, so I took it back to find they had discontinued the item all together. They gave me a full refund almost 1.5 years later (not for extended warranty). I definitely got my extended warranty moneys worth
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
With this model disappearing from several mfr's lines we'll have to start a Samba thread on alternate batteries that fit.

Ahwahnee wrote:
Last time I got a replacement I had to go with a T5 which easily fit:

My Cabriolet was originally equipped with a Group 41. The AAA guy a few years ago did not have one in his van, but installed an H5 instead, which is a much better size (not nearly as wide). After seeing this topic, I ran down to my local WalMart since my van's AAA battery is 6 years old and is showing signs that this will probably be its last year of service.

My nearest WalMart (and there are about 5 in a 5-mile radius) had 3 Group 41's sitting on the shelf, marked $99. Of the three, two were missing their handles and one appeared to have been used and returned. Rolling Eyes They also had my Cabriolet's H5 and Ahwahnee's T5. So, I put a Group 41, H5, and T5 on the floor to compare them all:

The T5 is the same height as the 41, but not as wide. The H5 is the same size the T5, but is slightly taller. Both the H5 and T5 have slightly lower flanges at the bottom than the 41. All three have 650 CCA's.

As shown in the photos, the 41 (Plus) has just a 2-year warranty, whereas the T5 and H5 (Maxx) both have 5-year warranties.

While the $75 deal would have been super-nice, I factored in size and warranty and just bought two T5's (the Cabriolet's battery is leaking acid... not putting that one back in after I paint the battery tray -- for a second time -- this weekend).

[You'll see in one photo a big "41" with $74.88, but that's actually for a Group 75 at this WalMart.]
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

(Not that I can, my local stores show zero inventory) 😂
Dave

You answered your own question!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

taking names and kicking batteries..
the world needs more women like Kam Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
taking names and kicking batteries..
the world needs more women like Kam Embarassed

Thank you, but I would've preferred kicking someone's ass. Upon finally arriving home I found a red sugary beverage splashed all over the left rear corner of my clean, white GTI... all over the roof, all over the C-pillar, all over the hatch, and inside every crevice therein. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad What the world really needs is more respectful, more considerate, and less morally-bankrupt people. But I digress... Neutral

Back on topic: I'll probably need to make (or buy) a new battery clamp for the new smaller battery since the original clamp is being used on the aux battery. Will find out whenever I get around to installing this new T5.
2016 Golf GTI S
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Nice comparo.

So, my fresh new 41-4 is sitting in my Van in the garage. We were supposed to be out in a bit of a risky winter camp near the Canadian border but literally as we were 5 minutes from turning the key, our host frantically called. Both the LandCruiser and the Van were fully packed right down to shovels secured to their roofs.

He had to drive an hour back out to get cell coverage and let us know by phone tree that they were unable to get in to their land. There has been too much snow and the access road is blocked. So we will reschedule. They will spend the night in their truck up there and then they're thinking about walking some gear back in to the camp. But that's not too appealing to us as we'd have to leave our vehicles (currently set up for sleeping in the cold temps) out on the dirt road, and have to sleep in tents a few hundred yards away.

Argh. That's the strangest feeling. I was up till midnight last night checking on the Van and finishing packing gear. Then we suddenly had no plans whatsoever. We thought about trying to go somewhere else but winter camping is a whole different animal up here. You can't get off the plowed roads, so it's pretty limited. You might drive out to an area you'd like to camp, but not be able to get off the road due to the plow berm. And we are supposed to get a 48 hour snow event, so it was going to be an adventure with other seasoned folks and vehicles together to help get each other out. But not a good idea to venture off alone. Ah well.......
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...I'll probably need to make (or buy) a new battery clamp for the new smaller battery...

As I recall I also stuck something (probably a short 2x4, possibly a paperback copy of Ulysses) alongside the T5 to fill the space.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart discontinuing the Vanagon size battery - $75 alert. Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
...I'll probably need to make (or buy) a new battery clamp for the new smaller battery...

As I recall I also stuck something (probably a short 2x4, possibly a paperback copy of Ulysses) alongside the T5 to fill the space.

Since I have lots of it laying around, I used PVC pipe. Very Happy

Turns out, following my instinct was a good thing. Went to start the van a bit ago to take it for an emissions test and <click, click, click>. Battery wasn't dead, but didn't have enough juice to start. Wrangled out the old giant Group 41 and put in the smaller T5... as with my Cabriolet, this size is much preferred! Vroom! Fired right up... and passed its emissions test! Dancing (I trimmed the plastic terminal caps to fit with cables installed for added protection.)

You can rule out the H5/47, at least for a Westy... would be too tall. Thanks, Ahwahnee, for mentioning the T5! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: