Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine noise when not under load.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

Well my Tom Joad Grapes of Wrath motor came together really nice. Drove it around a bit today and discovered that the rattle is indeed the transmission. At least I have a motor that doesn’t leak all over the place, and it’s nice and clean when I pull it to do the old crash box....a little tired of that noisy thing...
Any suggestions on an upgrade that would work with the stock 36hp?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

AZOffTheWall wrote:
What was making Noise? it wasn't that Teflon button and those wrist pins look fine. Did you at least pull the rods off and check the bearings? You should be able to get to them through the cylinder opening if you afraid to split this this all the way open.

Should have done this!!! I pushed my luck with that eBay motor, I was confident it was fine in the block, only to find after complete installation that rod bearings are indeed in need of replacement. Same problem with the other block as well. Transmission is fine. So I’ve come full circle, and starting all over again. I’ve learned a lot. I’ll be doing the rings as well, she was running a little smokey...here is a photo I took yesterday before I started tearing it all down again...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

So I got the eBay motor open. The offending noise is a worn rod bearing. The original motor I will open tomorrow, but I’m sure it’s offending noise comes from how loose the crank is. What’s interesting to me is how similar these two motors sounded in their signals that something was definitely wrong, this is what lead me to believe that it was transmission noises.

My question now is, do I replace the rod and bearing? Or would replacing just the bearing be enough.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

Also noted that this motor seems to have 0 endplay.

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

So this is what my engine noise looks like.

And this was interesting...a homemade rod shim...

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

...and this what the other engine noise looks like...hence the too much overplay...

Correction, I thought there were only two shims, turns out two were oil stuck, so there were three.

this the eBay motor case

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise when not under load. Reply with quote

So my plan now is to use eBay motor case, replace rings, rod and main bearings...

Anything else? Should I use the rods from the old motor since the wear on the bearings is even? They are lighter than the eBay rods.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: