Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you identify this distributor?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

I recently bought a distributor for $25 off the classifieds here to have as a backup in the future. It was listed as an autostick distributor for 1968-70, but did not give a part number or a picture showing it (I figured for $25 it was worth a shot.)
I received it today & it appears to be an SVA distributor, VW part number 0 231 115 061. This number does not match any of the autostick distributors, and I can't find it on either the Old Volks Home site or the Bosch tuneup chart here. Any ideas? It looks to be in very good condition, just the wrong distributor for my setup. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Just by the tall body id assume it was a SVDA not SVA. Pop off the cap and take a look.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Just by the tall body id assume it was a SVDA not SVA. Pop off the cap and take a look.

Sorry I meant SVDA not SVA.
Here's a pic of the innards

1600 SP engine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Whenever you see a single vacuum canister with a clear embossment for an internal return spring, it's definitely SVDA.

I think I'd have to test the thing to see how it compared to the other automatic distributors from that generator part number vicinity. But with a lack of a VW number and with the that plastic vacuum nipple, I'm not sure if I can even make any kind of guess as to where it came from.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Congratulations, you have a distributor for a 68-69 Porsche 912.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Damn, makes me wish I'd opened up my 71 Bosch catalog (but then again, I've done that sort of thing many times before only to find nothing...) But in this case, yep, there it is.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Correct, it originally came on a 1968-1969 Porsche 912 that was sold in the USA and has a smog pump.

Not very popular since most 912 owners remove the smog pump and want the European 031. distributor.

And its NOT a SVDA since the vacuum is for retarding the ignition, not advancing it.

You should not use it on a VW since it has 32* mechanical advance which is way to much for a VW.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

You should not use it on a VW since it has 32* mechanical advance which is way to much for a VW.

Hmmm, well I'll just use it on my Porsche then Cool Very Happy

Thanks all!

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

If it's a 68-69 912 with a smog pump... go for it. If it's a different model, it's not the best option.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Hmmm, well I'll just use it on my Porsche then Cool Very Happy

Thanks all!

Or list it on ebay Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Or list it on ebay Wink

I see where one allegedly went for something around $380 OBO... but most don't seem to sell, of course they all look like they are incomplete. Maybe I'll give it a shot Razz

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this distributor? Reply with quote

They don't sell because they are 2 year only and most remove the smog pump and use a 031.

I have a restored 061 for sale for the past 14 months. I also have a few 031s which do sell.

I'm not in a rush.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: