Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmann66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Does anyone know can the 2 vertical rubber seals be replaced that fit in between the nose sheet metal and the inner fender in the spare tire area? And were does one find those pieces ? checked the usual sites did not see them listed. Maybe this was answered already but did not see it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Click on the KGPR link at the bottom of the page or call. Its the same rubber on the Mud Sill/Hinge cover. Sold by the ft IIRC

It may, or may not be able to be done....depending on condition of your car.
Many have been tapped in front over the last 50 years.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
karmann66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Thank you I will check it out. Appreciate the info
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Darrell is right, the rubber you want is called the hinge pillar cover plate seal. Unless you are replacing the nose or the inner panels it will be extremely difficult to replace these - to do it you would probably need to cut the ridge off the rubber on one side to allow you to press it in somehow.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Ok, this is going to be a blasphemous comment to some who dwell in the land of the purists....... but for a panel seal such as this, one that is not easily remewed or removed.
Chemical technology has advanced huge leaps and bounds since the days of the Ghia.
Various polymers and eleastics are routinely sold in tubes today.

These modern products are actually quite amazing in what they can seal and the properties they have allowing for long term expansion and movement.

Glass adhesive springs to mind. Glass, a slippery solid / liquid is no longer held in with gaskets but effectively "glued" into place with a very long lasting and resilient adhesive sealer.
Concrete expansion joints fillers are another one, all sorts of amazing adhesives/fillers are used everyday around us.
Surely one of these products can easily and effectively fill this crack to the nose and not cause metal corrosion as some products can or let go in five years like silicone does.

On the splash panel? Another story because that gets removed from time to time.

Just thinking out loud........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

If the OG poster is indeed referring to the hinge pillar cover plate seal, I bought mine via KGPR's ebay site about 4 weeks ago.

After installing the seal/plate I couldn't get the seal pressed firmly up against the inner fender wall in the center so some seam sealer took care of the last 1/4" of space. It's not pretty but it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Ok, this is going to be a blasphemous comment to some who dwell in the land of the purists....... but for a panel seal such as this, one that is not easily remewed or removed.
Chemical technology has advanced huge leaps and bounds since the days of the Ghia.

These modern products are actually quite amazing in what they can seal and the properties they have allowing for long term expansion and movement.

Glass adhesive springs to mind. Glass, a slippery solid / liquid is no longer held in with gaskets but effectively "glued" into place with a very long lasting and resilient adhesive sealer.
Concrete expansion joints fillers are another one, all sorts of amazing adhesives/fillers are used everyday around us.
Surely one of these products can easily and effectively fill this crack to the nose and not cause metal corrosion as some products can or let go in five years like silicone does.

Dave

I agree with you, with due respect to the contrary opinions of those who choose originality over functionaity. When I put my Ghia back together - remember it had been skinned and taken competely apart - I spread a thick automotive seamsealer in the gap under consideration instead of the rubber that everyone finds near impossible to install.

The painter guy agreed with me on the basis that water would be trapped between those rubbers and the paint but it would flow off the seamsealer like, well, water.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I agree with you, with due respect to the contrary opinions of those who choose originality over functionaity. When I put my Ghia back together - remember it had been skinned and taken competely apart - I spread a thick automotive seamsealer in the gap under consideration instead of the rubber that everyone finds near impossible to install.

The painter guy agreed with me on the basis that water would be trapped between those rubbers and the paint but it would flow off the seamsealer like, well, water.

Blasphemy! Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Blasphemy! :wink:

The test is as follows: If this modern technology were available when our Ghias were conceived and built, would Messrs Karmann and Ghia have utilized them?

Better seatbelts
Fuel filter moved out of the engine bay
etc.

+ seamsealer instead of rubber where possible

As a matter of fact, didn't they add various inprovements as the technology became available? IRS, disc brakes, etc. The list is long. So what's wrong with seamsealer?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Kiwi...... observe smiley wink....... he's yanking your chain!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Kiwi...... observe smiley wink....... he's yanking your chain!

Dave

I saw that Dave, but I'm arguing the case against the purist-at-all-costs approach. No one would accuse Darrel of being a purist, would they?

Really?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

Not yet, but im patient. Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia Front nose/ rubber between nose and inner fender Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Not yet, but im patient. :)

We'll watch your conversion wth great interest.

And some glee. :)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: