Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoollyBugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn Reply with quote

Has anyone had this problem? I have the pulse ring for the speedo on the inner cv joint. Didn’t rub before but since I swapped my rebuilt tranny now the pulse ring is rubbing on the frame horn. The previous owner installed the speedo and I like the set up. He had put a 1/2 spacer between the tranny and cradle mount to solve the clearance issue. Now it seems like I need a 1/4 in more. I’m thinking that I’m having clearance issues now because The tranny shop had to swap out cases. I’ve grinded the frame horn a bit but don’t want to go much further. You guys think a little more lift on the tranny (3/4 spacers) would be ok? I have some aluminum block remnants that would fit perfectly. Any other suggestions? What other electronic speedo options are there?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn Reply with quote

Trans case should be same and just changing out trans should have not created issue... Maybe shop did something different with mounts than OP did, sometimes people toss items when they do not understand the purpose of them......

A solution if you want to avoid dealing with sensing ring may be to put a GPS sending unit in... Just some examples of what may be out there...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Sear...tYmm=false

Wish I had you problem... With swing axle not a chance, and my left front wheel cable/hall sensor sender is slowly dieing....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn Reply with quote

1st thought to come to mind, was it a swing axle torsion converted to irs? Got any pics? What trans? What cv's? What kind of mounts?
WoollyBugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes to the irs conversion. 091 cvs. I have added some washers to see if it still rubs. The clearance is better but it’s close Shocked

My aluminum spacers just seemed too tall. The holes in the tranny would not line up with the cradle mount holes. Instead of redrilling the cradle mount I decided to try the washers instead.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn Reply with quote

The swing frame horns are shaped different than irs frame horns. More than 1 person has cut then capped the frame horns for clearance. I don't know if a 10 degree trans mount will work for you, hopefully somebody else can answer that for you.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...ch_forum=9
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic speedo ring rubbing on frame horn Reply with quote

I need the speed sensor for the ecm of my subaru engine, but i did not use a tone ring on mine. I just use the cv bolt heads. i made my own bracket and lined the pickup with the outer edge of the head of the bolt. funny thing is with type 2 cv's and 33 inch tires the six bolts, and size of the tires read almost the same as gps speed if i view vss pid from the ecm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: