Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Personally, I would wait until you are completely done welding to paint the interior. Trying to keep nice paint free of welding bb's is a real pain in the ass.

What I thought about doing now was just sand blasting, since everything was still apart and open. I would definitely wait for any painting until the welding was done.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
KWZ wrote:
Like most Americans, I rely solely on thesamba.com as my source for all news and information on current events.

I appreciate hard working correspondents and contributors like Burlyhammer for constantly updating pieces on hard hitting subjects like resurrecting this crusty 15 window.

Click on CNN or Fox News and they don't have dick on any of the relevant issues.

That is so funny. The first thing I do every morning is check on the threads I’m watching to see what happened. Then I check Instagram. Then I go work on my bus. Maybe my reality is a little skewed.

X2! Not skewed at all, you just have your priorities in order. Keep up the good work!
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
Like most Americans, I rely solely on thesamba.com as my source for all news and information on current events.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone reproduce that lower bulkhead piece in this exact stamping pattern? I got a piece from KF but it was the wrong stamping with the ribs incorrect and missing the half circle stamps for the heater tubes.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Does anyone reproduce that lower bulkhead piece in this exact stamping pattern? I got a piece from KF but it was the wrong stamping with the ribs incorrect and missing the half circle stamps for the heater tubes.

I am not sure. I did not look. Alan Schofields has a lot of stuff KF doesn’t have. You might check there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Today my thread is 1 year old. My first Thesamba post was when I started this thread, and I had only posted 3-4 photos posted up until then. Time flies. The bus looks pretty much the same:

Other than the doors, it's hard to tell from these two photos what the bus has gone through. It has come a long way, but still a long way to go.
I was hoping to have some of the walk thru parts installed, but have not quite got that far. I did get the rear lip "fixed"

I was measuring the flange on the drivers side vertical flange and noticed that the flange on the 63 bends toward the back (this piece is laying on it's back):

and the flange on the 65 section bends to the front (this piece is laying face down):

I checked the B pillars, and the passenger side flange bends to the front:

Anyway, no big deal. I did some "hammer bending" to correct it:

So I am trying to stay with one area. I started grinding the rust off the bottom edging tube on the drivers side and it was thin.

I made a small tab to copy the piece supporting the post where it connects to the tool box, and cut it out, and welded in another piece of tube:

I also welded up some thin spots on the side:

The sheet metal on the seat back was thin where the wheel well (seat base) and the seat back met from where leaves, etc. sat for years. I traced out the bad spots,

Cut out some metal:

Cut a new piece to fit:

Looks like it's time to weld.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

the bus may look the same for the most part from the outside but man you are killin' it!!! I have been admiring your work. Keep it up!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

obus wrote:
the bus may look the same for the most part from the outside but man you are killin' it!!! I have been admiring your work. Keep it up!!!

It’s what’s inside that counts!
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Another year and this thing will be as good as new structurally. Great work!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Happy anniversary to this build Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:

I appreciate hard working correspondents and contributors like Burlyhammer for constantly updating pieces on hard hitting subjects like resurrecting this crusty 15 window.

Click on CNN or Fox News and they don't have dick on any of the relevant issues.

😂👍
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Today my thread is 1 year old. My first Thesamba post was when I started this thread, and I had only posted 3-4 photos posted up until then. Time flies. The bus looks pretty much the same:

Rome wasn’t built in a day 😎
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

There's a short poem about how the little things really add up:

Little drops of water
Little grains of sand
Make the mighty oceans
And the promised land
So the little moments
Humble though they be
Make the mighty ages
Of eternity.

You'll wake up one day and wonder how in the hell you got it done.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Another year and this thing will be as good as new structurally. Great work!

I'm hoping by this summer. (haha) We will see.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Rome wasn’t built in a day 😎

Very true. I'am really looking forward to driving this beast, but I refuse to cut corners. It will be ready when it's ready.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
There's a short poem about how the little things really add up:

Little drops of water
Little grains of sand
Make the mighty oceans
And the promised land
So the little moments
Humble though they be
Make the mighty ages
Of eternity.

You'll wake up one day and wonder how in the hell you got it done.

Very nice. I know I waste a lot of time being overwhelmed, and not sure of what to do, but when I just pick one thing and focus on finishing that, there is one less thing to do when finished.
Every time I look at the bus, I get excited knowing where it was, and where it is going.
Thanks
splitlp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Dave,

You have made leaps and bounds on this project with exceptional work! A lot of deep thought is often mistaken as being overwhelmed. There are very few who would have taken on this project, divide and conquer my friend! We are all here if you need us!
splitlp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Cargo Floor Section Between Rear Arch Tubs ->79. 211-801-551A
Shop > Bay Window 68-79 > Body Panels > Rear Panels & Engine Bay

Alan H Schofield Page list the panel with a pic. The description says Bays and Splits. I am going to order one and see. I could not find the KF. one on there site.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

splitlp wrote:
Dave,

You have made leaps and bounds on this project with exceptional work! A lot of deep thought is often mistaken as being overwhelmed. There are very few who would have taken on this project, divide and conquer my friend! We are all here if you need us!

J.P.
I’m getting there. Sooner or later (I hope it’s sooner). I remember when I towed this bus on a trailer to our club luncheon a few years ago and the general consensus was to scrap it. Haha. We will be driving it.
Thanks man, and if there’s anything I can do to help with your project, let me know, and I’m there.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I really appreciate your pics on the walk through section where it meets the cargo area. I have a never ending 1960 walk through project and I have sat and stared at that exact area and what little is left of it and tried to make sense of how it goes together. This is a great point of reference and inspiration!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 86

Jump to: