Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Much for body off paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryguy993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
My '66 is currently getting floors and heater channels replaced. The restoration shop said that they will not have time to paint the body until this September.....

My question for everyone is, How much should a body off paint job cost? I am in New England if that matters. I am looking to go with a factory color, but will be doing base coat/clear coat, instead of single stage.

Body has had all metal work already, so it would just be minor ding and dent removal and primer and then paint.

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Cheers,
Ryan
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

Between $5K and $25K. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
johnr156
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

Yeah Darrel is right about that. I just had my 66 painted. Also body off just a shell. No windows, interior etc. I was getting quotes mostly in the 10K to 15K range. These were from VW restoration shops. I finally went to a little shop less than a mile from me and got a beautiful paint job for 6K, also 2 stage. I couldn't be happier with it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ryguy993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

Thanks!

Thats pretty much what I thought. Your paint looks great! I am not after a show/restoration job, just something that looks great for years to come.

I was hoping to stay under 6-7K for paint, to stay as close to my budget as possible. I just need to find a shop that can do something like this.

Thanks Again!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

ryguy993 wrote:
Hello Everyone,
My '66 is currently getting floors and heater channels replaced. The restoration shop said that they will not have time to paint the body until this September.....

My question for everyone is, How much should a body off paint job cost? I am in New England if that matters. I am looking to go with a factory color, but will be doing base coat/clear coat, instead of single stage.

Body has had all metal work already, so it would just be minor ding and dent removal and primer and then paint.

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Cheers,
Ryan

I'm in CT, where are you getting your metal work done?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

401 Restorations is a well known VW etc Rhode Island Shop.
http://www.401restos.com/Pages/default.aspx
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryguy993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

401Restos is the shop doing the structural work right now. Tim is a great guy and definitely knows his stuff about volkswagens. He and Matt have worked magic on my floors and heater channels! Along with many trouble spots in the wheel wells and other spots on the body.

He is doing me a huge favor by getting my car in for the chassis work, as he has way more important cars to be working on!

I'm still trying to decide what color to go with for the Body? Right now I keep going back and forth between Sea Blue & Fjord Blue & Atlas Blue.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

I've been in touch with Chuck who sells Masterseries and he has a shop he uses for paint. Says they are about $7k. You could try getting in touch with him if you can't wait until the fall.
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

I know San Diego is a long was away but I have been quoted in the 5-6k range. The body is straight as can be.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ESQ747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

Your best bet is to avoid VW resto shops. Just get the code for the paint color that you want and get a few estimates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

I have a '67 nightmare-oops I mean bug...
Stripped to the bare shell. Bodywork cost me $4k to put into final primer.
I am doing DuPont base/clear. Paint cost $2,200.
To actually spray it I was told $6k which I think is a lot.
Have a guy coming by Wednesday to give me another estimate.
So that would've been about $12k for the paint job. I'm not paying that much.
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

the main diffrence between a 6k job and a 20k job is you take it apart and put it together, i was at a shop years ago and a customer was confused that a paint job dident include all new rubber and assembly ,, big diffrence between painting a nice roller shell and a driving/not running full car ,, the variances can be astounding in paint quality ,, no two painters are ever the same , so you realllly have to lay it all out with the painter before you start,,, need stripped? ,,forever paint it needs to be ,, blasting the lil rust corners,, metal work,, lite body work it all adds up .... try and talk to sombody that has dealt with them before ,, its soo much money , because it is very labor intensive ,,, and quality paint materials cost crazy,,, spies hecker, ppg, upper end dupont etc. thats the stuff that will still be shining in 10-15 years of sun baking ,,, everything else is just gonna be 8 year or less,,, thing is any bad prep (not immaculate) will pop by then ,bigger money on labor pays in the end , ive been a pro builder/restorer for 25yrs and paint is the hardest part and ya really gotts find sombody you can trust and work with............. fabricator john
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much for body off paint? Reply with quote

I got my estimate...
He said 4 coats of base and 4 coats of clear painted inside and out will be around $3500-$3800 to spray in a downdraft booth and bake.
That puts me in the $9700 range for a body off paint job.
He is going to do it in pieces though. I've heard a lot of different viewpoints on that though.
I think it's ALOT for a paint job. I don't make that much and will never recoup my losses if I sell it. I don't plan on it but if I do......I'll lose my ass I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: