Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used type 1 engine value
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

I'm looking at a "good used" 1776 w/dual Dellorto's and "head work". Trying to determine a reasonable market value. I understand the risks involved with buying a used engine and that there are many variables... I'm just looking for generalized ball park type info. Can anybody offer any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

depends on your expectation of "good"

depending on components used it could be valued anywhere from $1000-7500 or so..

german case? mexican case? brazilian case?
wear on bores/thrust?

ex. stock crank? chinese crank? Berg crank?

stock rods? carrillo rods?

stock OG reworked heads? aftermarket casting?

lot of variables to look at
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Have you seen it run?

If not, then assume it doesn't.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Yep what parts are in the engine...I have one for sale with 2600 in parts alone in it. That does not count the labor for the builder.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128228

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. As I mentioned above, I am aware of the risks involved including that it's potentially junk. The engine is already removed so no "hear it run". Because nothing has been mentioned about various high end parts, my assumption is that it's a low budget build (original block, stock rods, cheap piston/cylinders, etc.). The engine comes with dual Dellorto 40's with the good CB Performance style linkage and air cleaners, and the asking price for the whole package isn't all that much more than what those go for in good condition alone.

30 years ago there would have been no problem determining a market value, but they're so few and far between these days I just couldn't find any comparable offerings. The engine posted above is the closest I have seen but somehow I had missed that one even though I already checked the classifieds on here too.

FYI... I'm only considering used because this engine is for an old Empi Imp fiberglass dune buggy that we only use a couple/few times a year. As long as the engine isn't on it's last legs, it should last us for many years. Just can't justify a new engine for that little amount of use, and don't feel it would get a good "return on investment" should we decide to sell the car (not planned, but you never know).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

I take my bell housing with starter test unit, battery, gas and test fire the engine whether in the vehicle or out of it, if the owner will not allow the engine to be run then no sale or nothing more than a possible core engine then you are talking a few hundred dollars at best.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Without seeing/hearing it run yourself, assume it's trashed, and offer the value of the known good accessories. Believe nothing about any internal parts. Good parts can be installed badly and ruined.

So maybe $2-300.

If the seller says it ran great or was rebuilt, check the endplay. If it's not in new spec, he's lying and you walk away.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

I appreciate you guys looking out for my best interests, but I'm not looking for comments about whether or not the engine is good or the seller is honest. As I mentioned twice already... I'm aware of the risks of buying a used engine that I cannot hear run. I'm also aware of the few things that can be done to determine the condition of a used engine without hearing it run or disassembling it such as checking end play. I simply have no idea what a good running 1776 as described would be worth in today's market. The asking price is low enough that I'm considering taking the risk, but not low enough that it's a no brainier (core prices). Again, thank you all for your input... especially gt1953 for pointing out his own ad which is a very comparable engine.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

well if the carbs look decent they are good for $500-600 alone..

good rotating long block with an "assumed" size $500-1000

so $1000-1500 and you should be safe...
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Sometimes machinists stamp the block (usually on top) with a number that it was line bored to. If the stamps are there you know what the minimum the case mains were cut to.
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
well if the carbs look decent they are good for $500-600 alone..

good rotating long block with an "assumed" size $500-1000

so $1000-1500 and you should be safe...

This is about what I was thinking but wasn't sure. The engine I'm looking at is in this range. I like the 1776 posted above better, but it's priced higher, has Kadrons vs DRLA's, and isn't local to me. Thanks for the input.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Well my engine has been removed. So to here it run would have to reintall carbs, linkage, exhaust, hook up spare trans and starter. It would fire up and carbs may not be perfectly sinked up and could here it run.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

I have seen more "1776" engines turn out to be just 1600cc stockers too.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Used type 1 engine value Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
I have seen more "1776" engines turn out to be just 1600cc stockers too.

Wonderful but in this case I’d certainly trust a longtime Samba member selling an engine. Never a bad knock from him, helps here and has a sense of humor.
You cannot build a 1776 for what he’s asking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: