Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex heater in Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ccvogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Propex heater in Beetle? Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a Propex heater in a Beetle? If so, I'd like to see some pictures and/or get any comments on the process.

Thanks,
ccvogel
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Propex Reply with quote

A year later and no response. I had the same question. Well... anybody? I guess the big thing is.. where do you put the propane tank.
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i know i'm replying to an old post but here goes, i took the measurements for the propex 2000 it could fit under the rear seat on the drivers side. you would have to use a small propane tank like for a torch and could mount it near the battery. i know not a very comfortable idea but you can also set it up in the luggage shelf in the back inside a custom made box and run the ducting under the seats. the important things to do is secure the porpane bottle, and have the heater where the bottom mounted intake and exhaust can breath right i would pipe the exhaust past the engine to the fender well or rear bumper to prevent hot exhaust gas and fumes going into the car or carb. and put a filter on the intake to limit dirt and debris. i'm trying to find a 1600 model propex for my bug. and plan on working this out with one in hand vs. just measurements for the manufacturer.
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whingnut, did you try it? If you did, what model of Propex did you use?
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't find a small 1600 model anywhere. ppl will not let them go. i ended up getting a bn4 gas heater and waiting to see how he car does with the stock set up renewed. but if the chance arises i will definitely try it out. but i will be buying a 2000 model for my bus. good luck man.
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater in Beetle? Reply with quote

Reading through my March 18 Hot VW's (Street Steroids!), there is a sweet 65 with a Propex HS2000 mounted under the drivers side rear seat. It doesn't show where or how the propane bottle is mounted or how the burner intake/exhaust is routed but he found a way. I have been using a 12v heater that I got from a truck stop but it cant keep up. This unit is expensive but it is definitely something to consider since I HATE being cold.

This is an old thread but has anyone installed this unit or something similar?
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater in Beetle? Reply with quote

I see a lot of these for sale. Copy of the eberspacher that are 5 times more expensive. In a bug it might be a problem finding a place to mount the tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5KW-12V-New-Car-Fuel-Di...1438.l2649
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater in Beetle? Reply with quote

Of course, a gasoline Espar like this would be the ultimate https://esparparts.com/espar-airtronic-b1lc-compact-heater-automotive-p-25393.html

But who’s got 2 grand to drop on seasonal heat???

So I’ve mulled this over for many days and nights, and here’s what I’d do if I had to, and if I could get past drilling holes in the bottom of my parcel tray: I’d put a 1.2 gallon (5 lb) propane cylinder behind the back seat, housed in a custom enclosure, which is sealed to the interior, but vented to the outside through the bottom of the parcel tray (of course, it would have pop-open access for cylinder refills). In this way, the cylinder would be pretty well protected from impacts.

I would probably mount the Propex up front, in the trunk. From a noise standpoint, under the back seat would be better, but from a flow and heat loss perspective, I think the trunk would be better. Now I did read here on TS, one guy saying “No way man, one of those would be WAY too much heat for a Bug Mad .” Well, I suppose the main reason they put Eberspachers in Things was because Things are so friggin drafty. But then again, I’ve heard others complain that their Propex was barely enough for Bay Window Bus heat, so where’s that point in the middle?

But since I don’t daily my Beetle, and I live in a relatively mild climate, I don’t really HAVE to do anything until my hand is forced. So it’s all brainstorming at this point (and I still wouldn’t want to drill my parcel tray unless the car has already been hacked up in other ways).
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater in Beetle? Reply with quote

Where I'm living right now, its been -18C all day (that's -2F). Last week, it was -37C (-34F). These are 'normal' temperatures for this time of year (inspite of rumours of global warming) and have been this way since I was driving a 'gas-heater free' 1959 VW Beetle back in 1965. If properly adjusted, a Beetle's normal heater system will put out sufficient heat to keep the interior warm in sub-zero temperatures. So, for me, the BIG question is: why are guys in Florida and California trying to figure out ways to install propane heaters in their VW Beetles???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: