Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Baja Bug - TX Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Before paint I have always water washed after the acid treatment to remove the white powder, blown dry with leaf blower, then with a clean rag applied a VERY light coat of acid again, followed by a wipe with a dry rag to remove any extra before it dries. Once that is dry, I have always sanded or wire brushed followed by a wipe down with acetone and or prepall (or another paint prep solvent).

They say the acid treatment is a primer, but I prefer to remove as much of it as I can and only leave the iron phosphate ( black converted rust) because I would hate to have to strip off a poorly bonded paint job ....

I have however gotten away with a light rub with red Scotch-Brite after acid treatment and painted with good results, but that was on the tractor I didn't care about too much…
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Thank you, at least I know I'm not missing an easy work around. The leaf blower I am taking with me - that is a fantastic idea! It will certainly help avoid the flash rust tendancies immediately following the water wash. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

I was re-painting the bed of a pickup once (first time in a both, with zero experience and I had to have it out by Monday before the business opened).

I had used Ospho a few days prior (hey, it said it was a primer) and dried it and wiped it all down. Shot the paint with no real issue (it was just the inside of the bed, so it didn't need to look pretty).

So Monday morning I slip in to get the truck out before anyone noticed. First thing I see is the entire bed blown up like a 1" thick bubble. The Ospho wasn't quite cured and it was out-gassing I assumed.

What a mess....

LOL
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

New job with less travel time to get this rolling again!

Shift linkage out, stock fuel line out, transmission out, suspension coming off next. Will be adding 5/1600 +1 arms, mircosubs depending on prices, rear disc brakes, 091 trans, and more. Ordering parts now gonna finish up the pan while I wait for them to ship.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Why spend money on making longer travel rear suspension when the ball joint front limits you to a max of 6" travel? Stock rear can give give 8" of travel. For a little $ you can get 11" with mostly stock parts.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

I am building this to 5/1600 rules, and will be doing the front suspension after the rear. Converting to link pin, pan head change, etc. but I am doing the rear end first because it is much more involved. Doing it once and doing it as right as I can the first time Laughing
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Finished the last few repairs on the pan today. Patched a hand full of holes, had to rebuild the outer 5” of the Napoleon hat from scratch due to rust/cracks, and removed all remaining tabs/brackets left on the pan. Not sure but I may be using the lift incorrectly lol

Also welded the horn seams up, this picture was taken with only the right sides welded

Going to pull the rear suspension apart tomorrow in preparation for the King Kong torsion adjuster that is in the mail.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Rear suspension coming apart:

Pan totally bare:

Started designing some rear arms, the new SCORE rules have some updates on Rear arms so I’ve gotta figure out how to configure them.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Quote:
Started designing some rear arms, the new SCORE rules have some updates on Rear arms so I’ve gotta figure out how to configure them.

What updates to the rear arms rules are you referring to? Unless you're referring to the allowance of micro stub hubs which change happened about 10 years ago. The arm measurements remain the same as they've always been otherwise. I just rechecked the current rule book to verify that you're not looking at some new change. The 5-16 rules were last updated April 14,2018. Unfortunately, I can't copy the .pdf file from the web site, or I would copy the text here. What sort of rear hubs will you be using.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Quote:

What updates to the rear arms rules are you referring to? Unless you're referring to the allowance of micro stub hubs which change happened about 10 years ago. The arm measurements remain the same as they've always been otherwise. I just rechecked the current rule book to verify that you're not looking at some new change. The 5-16 rules were last updated April 14,2018. Unfortunately, I can't copy the .pdf file from the web site, or I would copy the text here. What sort of rear hubs will you be using.

I intend to use a micro stub set up, I will fabricate/piece it together myself rather than buy a kit.

The PDF on scores website specifically allows plus or minus 30° Rear inner pivot bolt angle, I always assumed it was required to be the stock 16° until I saw this. It’s really a crazy thing in the rules, I thought I had this figured out and then this curveball showed up. Here is a picture of the PDF that shows the rule change, Direct from scores website.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Actually, racers have been moving the inner pivot for quite a few years. I disapprove. If I took the SCORE Chief of Tech job when Roger and I talked at former Chief Art Savedra's funeral, that rule would now read that the stock pivot location was required.

If you're making new arms to fit the rules, I would leave the pivots stock. The arms, I would set the hub angle so you have zero camber at full droop.
SoCalBajas Member
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Hm. Interesting thought building for zero camber at full droop... need to run some calcs and see how I want to tackle It

My King Kong torsion adjuster arrived today! It is way bigger than I expected. I will install it this weekend Very Happy

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Cut the stock torsion adjuster out

Lined up and tacked in

Had some funny issues when welding, turns out my shielding gas tube was split, I thought it was just nasty gunk in the old pan contaminating my welds guess I was wrong

Bottom half welded in

Flipped the pan, need to get a new electrode lead before I continue

warwgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Shit, see what happens when I'm not looking!!! Great job, guess I need to get busy again too.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Well since my Manx is done, perhaps it’s time to start this project back up!
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Here we go!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Burned out a few wire wheels lol but it’s done and wiped down with ospho. A few areas of weld to dress down or touch up but not much to go before paint.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Burning wire now, ran out of gas but got a good chunk knocked out. The last pan I did this way, seam welding the pan to the tunnel to prevent any dirt/water getting in, it really stiffens it up too.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

A little bit every day, just a bit more to on this side by the torsion housing

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Done with this side, a few more spots to touch up on top

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: