Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

I have the issue that the Haartz canvas roof has shrunk in the time it has taken to carry out the resto. My local trim shop, who have admitted to never having done one before says it is junk and needs to be replaced.

Does anyone know if there is a way to stretch out the canvas and would need to be some considerable stretch, probably 2" in total? I have heard of applying boiling water to towels and placing them on the roof and massaging it back. Has anyone ever heard of this or better yet, tried it? Apart from the cost involved, the hood itself is mint, no rips, tears or discolouration.

If I do need to replace the roof, who does the best quality replacement? TMI, Sewfine, any strong opinions? If you are in the UK, can you recommend a stockist as VW Heritage are showing a six week order time and I was hoping to get it done for Volks World (I'm an optimist).

Thanks in advance!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Good idea, but no need to use boiling water. Moist heat, hot towels are good. Let sit in sun and wait, add weight (another good use for a collection of Bentley manuals) to the front bow wait some more. If its 2 inches from attaching you should be fine. Re heat towels and do a second round with more weight. You may want to spray (with water) the canvas and dampen it as a pre towel treatment.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

What Darrell said... Plus it's probably not shrank 2 inches. It just needs to stretch that far.

I found a clothes steamer worked great with a full heavy bucket for weight on the header bow. Wait till a nice warm sunny day and pull it outside..
Rich99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, I will give it a go. The only flaw in the answers is this sunny day thing. I live in England so what exactly is that again?
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

You may have to adjust the cables.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

kman wrote:
You may have to adjust the cables.

Since this is the late 69, you can get a little more play by loosening the rear lip cable and pulling out a bit more fabric from the recess. With top up, get access by removing the Phillips screws that’s securing the headliner to the frame just next to the door glass . This will open a flap enough to work on the cables tension . This is what you’re looking for. The 10mm jam nuts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You may then have to loosen the cable around the rear window opening as well.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Rich99 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I will give it a go. The only flaw in the answers is this sunny day thing. I live in England so what exactly is that again?

Good point. No need for a cabrio in UK. Please get that thing on the big boat to Long Beach Harbor in CA. I'll be happy to pick up, and with so much sun here i will have no need to stretch the top cause im not ever going to close it. Thanks!!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

I recall reading informarion from Chuck's Convertibles that is is never a good idea to leave a top down for a long time period.

The top will shrink making it quite difficult to latch it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

That's right Dave; you should never leave the top down for any length of time.

Drop the top down and enjoy the clean air; but when you return the car to the garage, the top must be locked in the up position.

If you can't lock the top in the locked position; wet the top and place a weight "carefully" on the header bow and park it in the sun until it stretches into the locked. This may take a few tries to get it to close.

And next time; don't leave the top down overnight, especially if it's wet or humid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Rich99 wrote:
The only flaw in the answers is this sunny day thing. I live in England so what exactly is that again?

Ah! Summertime in England, its my favourite day of the year. Laughing
Nicholas
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Rich99 wrote:
The only flaw in the answers is this sunny day thing. I live in England so what exactly is that again?

Ah! Summertime in England, its my favourite day of the year. Laughing
Nicholas

OUCH! My Ghia has only been out once since Boxing Day. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

I can certainly attest to the top shrinking if left down to long. Mine has on occasions been down for several weeks at a time and was a real struggle to fasten up afterwards, I even had to resort to my son lying on top of it!
Rich99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

With the added ventilation and the ability of the water to ingress at lots of different points, the BBC weather app has been very handy John. Mine has been out twice, one of which was to the trimmers.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it was down quite so much as off! I am going to try the fix and see what happens but the gaps in the two bottom rear quarters of the are massive but perhaps coaxing the material backwards as well as forwards may help somewhat. Nothing lost for having a go!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Nice pics.
Your 69.5 looks a lot like a 1970 Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Agree, that is a 70 model year.
The front marker lamps and rear tail lights are obvious indicators.

A 69 1/2 Ghia Convertible has the newer style top with the glass rear window mounted on the older body. It is a very real model year designation.

The build date does indicate model year. 1969 models were built from August 1968 thru July 1969, 1970 models were built beginning in August 1969

Here is a 1969, note the tail light differences and the bumper towel bar differences. 69 wrapped around the edge of the body, the 70 does not.

Here is the rear of a 1970....

Here is the front of a 69....

And the front of a 1970....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Rich99 wrote:
With the added ventilation and the ability of the water to ingress at lots of different points, the BBC weather app has been very handy John. Mine has been out twice, one of which was to the trimmers.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it was down quite so much as off! I am going to try the fix and see what happens but the gaps in the two bottom rear quarters of the are massive but perhaps coaxing the material backwards as well as forwards may help somewhat. Nothing lost for having a go!

Might want to get advice from another trimmer on whether your hood can be saved. Give "Wessex Car Trimmers" a call here in Southampton Rich...long established and well respected. Always good to have a second opinion: http://www.wessex-cartrimming.co.uk/car-trimming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

Thanks John, I will give them a call during the week.

The car was registered in October 69, hence my calling it a 69.5 but yes, a 1970 model year.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

On a side note, it looks like the head lights are protruding a good 10mm out from where they should be. You should address this with the shop ASAP. Otherwise looks nice .
Rich99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
On a side note, it looks like the head lights are protruding a good 10mm out from where they should be. You should address this with the shop ASAP. Otherwise looks nice .

Thank you. I will get them to check but have a feeling it is to do with the angulation required for them to pass our MOT and the car being left hand drive.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 69.5 Convertible Roof has shrunk Reply with quote

I would try stretching it a bit. Direct sunlight is your best bet but until you can get that I would suggest backing the J hooks where the top latches to the header out as far as possible. If you can get that hooked then leave it sit for a few days. Turn them in a little very few days, hook and see if that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: