Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
haydensmith0617
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug Reply with quote

I was just wondering what kind of modifications would be necessary to put a Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo in my 1969 vw bug
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug Reply with quote

Where you going to put the radiator? Once you get that figured for with correct cfms, there may be a slight chance of getting that to fit. But with what transaxle? The 5 speed one that came with that motor or the type1 that came with the Bug?

I did have a customer, Bruno, who had a Bug with a Ford 305 in it, coupled up to a C4 tranny. It was a mid engine car. Awesome weight distribution. Loud as hell inside the cabin. BUT MAN DID IT FLYYYYY!

Bruno, if you are out there. That was an awesome car! Loved working on it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
74Shovel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug Reply with quote

Are you asking how to do a custom turbo installation on your air cooled engine? Regardless, anything can be done with enough time and money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug Reply with quote

Kennedy Engineering makes an adapter for the engine to bolt to the stock VW trans. It wont fit under the deck lid though. I would use the 5-speed, put it in the middle and call it a day. Easy stuff.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug Reply with quote

haydensmith0617 wrote:
I was just wondering what kind of modifications would be necessary to put a Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo in my 1969 vw bug

All of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Jetta engine 1.8 turbo for a 69 vw bug Reply with quote

falls into the "IF you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it. "
people who make radical changes to a car (successfully) are more of the "Watch this, hold my beer" variety Wink

but to add some constructive advise. the coolant outlet will interfere with the bug firewall. necessitating removal and refitting of a bump into the parcel area for the radiator coolant hoses to clear.

and I agree, ALL of them. the radiator is the easiest and already established item in the whole swap. MANY formerly aircooled beetles out there running a myriad of H2o powered engines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: