Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oregon 71 earlybay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
idave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Oregon 71 earlybay Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Dave, I'm from Northern France.

I finally bought a bus, after all these years of saving up Smile

The bus was imported from Oregon, after having sat in a field for quite a bit. That's all I know about it!

I went to check it out after seeing the add, just out of curiosity, a few miles from home. Next thing you know, I had to have it. Can't wait for it to be delivered next week!

Here's a few pics I took over there...

Needs a bit of work on the lower bits, but the chassis is strong, and the bus has not been messed around with Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 71 earlybay Reply with quote

Interesting! It looks a bit rusty, here in Oregon it's challenge to keep them dry unless your East of the Cascades. My Bay has been setting outside here on the Oregon coast for 15 years in the elements. We had well over 100 inches of rain last season, It's starting to rust a little not quite so bad though. Maybe worse than yours below the windshield.
Both will need restoration if they are to be saved. I drive mine every day and that helps.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon 71 earlybay Reply with quote

Here is another one 68 that would be a bit of a find? The early bays are neat in that they had type 1 engines with the new bus transaxles that were different than the earlier buses which took a beetle trans.
The 68 is the same body as the 71 but had a single port engine that you would want to replace with a Dual Port. The 68 and 69 and 70 all had single port engines and did not have disc breaks yet but there are some really nice kits to allow for the disc brakes to be installed on them and the earlier buses for that matter.
Being over in France I would look for a set of Dellorto 36mm Carbs that you could run on the Dual Port engine. The 1971 Dual Port engine can now be made into a 74mm Stoke X 88mm bore without machine work that you have to do yourself. All Off the Shelf Parts. That will bring the Horse Power up to where the Bus can hold it's own on the open road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: