Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging system
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobnRae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Charging system Reply with quote

Front: So I have this loose blue wire under my dashboard and I tested it with my key turned on and it’s got 3 volts coming out of it. This wire doesn’t connect to the generator light as it’s already got a blue wire powering it up.
I’ve looked and this blue wire comes from a bundle that includes two reds and a black wire. This bundle comes from the body of the bus, my assumption being that this bundle comes from the rear of the bus.

Rear: The voltage regulator does have a blue wire that splits at a connector, one going towards the front of the engine and the other going to the warm air blower.

History: I was replacing the cigarette lighter and while doing this I noticed the generator light which I never noticed worked started flickering. I kept kind of bouncing wires under the dash blindly until the light stopped flickering. Now it’s on all the time (with engine running). And now my battery doesn’t charge.
It’s my belief that I did something under the dash and perhaps this loose wire not being connected is the reason why.

I’m new to fixing things myself and electricity is just as mysterious to me. I’ve looked for naked connectors to no luck. I’ve tried tracing this blue wire via Bentley diagrams but get lost after the wire leaves the engine compartment.

Any help would be awesome!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system Reply with quote

I'm going to guess it's your charge light wire and that shitty aftermarket terminal fell off. Knowing what year bus we are discussing will help narrow it down further.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system Reply with quote

What did you hook the blue wire to? It looks like an after market wire and connector which to me means someone hooked up a radio or other acc. to and they just chose blue. Sounds like if it went to the charge light in the speedo the bus wont charge if the speedo indicator light is burned out or disconnected.
RobnRae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system Reply with quote

It’s a 1972 type 2.
There is an aftermarket radio but this blue wire appears to be coming from elsewhere as the bundle it’s frouped with, disappear into the body above the fuse box. I haven’t connected this wire to anything yet as I don’t see anyplace for it to go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system Reply with quote

2 blue wires split out of the plug between the fuse box and nose skin, one goes to the back of the charge light in the fuel gauge and the other goes to the brake warning light, which one is missing on yours?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RobnRae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging system Reply with quote

Well I did eventually find that blue wire must belong on the back of the brake charge warning light. It has the wrong sized spade connector though.
Generator light still on so I think I’ll just swallow my pride and take it to the professionals to fix it and some other little things.
Appreciate the help! Thank you VW community.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: