Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
richparker wrote:
I’m running my spring plates at 25.5* unweighted with zero issues...the boots will fail before the CVs do.

how many 10.000 miles did you drive already with this?

40,390 miles
’65 Deluxe Build
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Go with Bilsteins, once you've had a vehicle with them, you won't have a vehicle without them. They eliminate "Porpoising" on rough roads and get rid of front end dive while braking thus shortening stopping distance & really tame the effects of crosswinds. The Bilsteins will cause more "road feel" by transmitting more of the smaller road imperfections into the chassis (pot holes, rocks, & the like) but will soak up larger things that would cause the vehicle to pitch & roll (bridge expansion joints, train track crossings).

You can get the Bilsteins for around $300 for all four special ordered through AutoZone. Let me know if you need info on how & what to order if you decide to go this route.

I would like to replace my shocks with Bilsteins. Do you still have the information on them? Thanks.
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I've been through a fair amount of this and some other threads. Was wondering if some could comment more on the impact to performance. I have a 71 Bay with stock wheels (and suspension) and am wanting to fill in the wheel wells with a more aggressive tire. this is mostly cosmetic as i won't be taking it off road in any extreme fashion. Having read through this thread and seeing all the photos, i'd like something leaning towards the mud terrains or more aggressive tread in a 205/75 or 215/75. i have a 1600 and am trying to get a sense for how much these tires impact performance/drivability. Just overall reactions. I see a bunch of people running this configuration with nothing said and then i see others that say theirs is woefully underpowered. I'm guessing it's noticeable, but still tolerable?

I've become accustomed to adjusting to the power in these vehicles. Are the muds just another drag, but tolerable or are they just too mach for the 1600?
roland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Depends on what you can tolerate Smile

What I can’t tolerate is the noise these mud terrains make on pavement. That’s why I’d go BF all terrains or général grabbers AT...
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Very Happy yeh, i realize a very subjective question ... guess i'll never know for sure until i do it. appreciate the thoughts on road noise... those MT's can get loud.
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just installed new 27x8.5 Maxxis Buckshots and Bilsteins on the front. It raised the bus about 2 inches. I haven't driven it on out of first gear yet so I cant really speak to its handling, but I love the way it looks.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

http://www.vanagonlife.com/theshop/bay-window-life

Rear quarter window-Light bar brackets, Center counsel
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

How do those light bar brackets attach? Are they clamping over the drip rail, or drilling into the westfalia fiberglass top? Would it work on a tin top?
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

The window blockout is awesome.
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

If you can find a pathfinder at your local pick n pull with some modifications you can have yourself a brush guard and swing away rear tire carrier for $60ish and some elbow grease.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

^^^ I was wondering what you've been up to...
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ I was wondering what you've been up to...

Not very good at updates, working on interior now.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Tcash wrote:

How do those light bar brackets attach? Are they clamping over the drip rail, or drilling into the westfalia fiberglass top? Would it work on a tin top?

Clamps to the drip rail.
http://www.vanagonlife.com/theshop/vanagonlife-lightbar-brackets
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

mkriglet wrote:

I just installed new 27x8.5 Maxxis Buckshots and Bilsteins on the front. It raised the bus about 2 inches. I haven't driven it on out of first gear yet so I cant really speak to its handling, but I love the way it looks.

Where did you get the Bilsteins? I want some for my 72, but I can never figure out the exact model #'s I need front and rear. Do you have the model #'s?
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-000321

Here is the link to the Bilsteins.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

mkriglet wrote:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-000321

Here is the link to the Bilsteins.

Yeah, I've been able to find the fronts, but what about the rears? Where you able to find those?
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I couldn't find the rear shocks either. Ended up getting KYBs
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Check out http://eshocks.com/ they usually have just about ever size

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zwartePiets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone running 27x8.5-14 Kumho Road Venture MT KL71, on a stock height bus?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

zwartePiets wrote:
Anyone running Crying or Very sad 27x8.5-14
Road Venture MT KL71, on a stock height bus?

This is all I could find.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4499759#4499759
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8780527#8780527
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 92

Jump to: