Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Sorry not the case here. I have a syncro, and I should've thought about that. It's a bushing that goes into the bottom of the upright that the ball joint goes into. Embarassed .
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Are both sides rubbing? Looking at the last set of pictures, it looks
like it might be better to clearance the upright. Lots of material there.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

From Van-cafe web page for 84 - 85 Vanagon here:

http://www.van-cafe.com/page_768_318/ball-joint-front-lower-press-in

Part of this comment relates to the Syncro but may apply?

"These joints are sometimes slightly longer (a few more threads) and it has been found when used on a syncro (4 Wheel Drive) model with 14" alloys that they may be too long and may scrape the rim. There is at least 1/8" of extra metal beyond the threads, and we recommend grinding a portion of this area away on some models with 14" alloys to improve clearance. ...... "

Also, is wear at tapered hole on the lower ball joint adaptor a possible cause of issue? I can't imagine a ball joint getting so worn that it enlarges that hole but maybe?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

I encountered this contact when I lifted my 83.5' Westy using GW springs and totally rebuilt suspension. Using the GW upper ball joint did not solve the issue, but shaving the top of the lower ball joint shaft by about 1/8" inch did give me the clearance I needed. Later, I switched to the Burly upper control arms, which brought the spindle vertical enough that I wouldn't have needed to shave the ball joint shaft.

I think the contact comes from the lifted geometry changes.
Fiorenzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
From Van-cafe web page for 84 - 85 Vanagon here:

http://www.van-cafe.com/page_768_318/ball-joint-front-lower-press-in

Part of this comment relates to the Syncro but may apply?

"These joints are sometimes slightly longer (a few more threads) and it has been found when used on a syncro (4 Wheel Drive) model with 14" alloys that they may be too long and may scrape the rim. There is at least 1/8" of extra metal beyond the threads, and we recommend grinding a portion of this area away on some models with 14" alloys to improve clearance. ...... "

Also, is wear at tapered hole on the lower ball joint adaptor a possible cause of issue? I can't imagine a ball joint getting so worn that it enlarges that hole but maybe?

Neil.

Thank you, very very interesting information. I think it is all about that because i used Febi ball joints and they say some are longer than the OE. I will grind the tip off.
Regard the tapered hole it seemed to me in perfect condition but i did not checked if the febi conicity was the same of the hole... It will be a pain to dismantle and check it now but i will think about that...
Fiorenzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
I encountered this contact when I lifted my 83.5' Westy using GW springs and totally rebuilt suspension. Using the GW upper ball joint did not solve the issue, but shaving the top of the lower ball joint shaft by about 1/8" inch did give me the clearance I needed. Later, I switched to the Burly upper control arms, which brought the spindle vertical enough that I wouldn't have needed to shave the ball joint shaft.

I think the contact comes from the lifted geometry changes.

Yes I think so, actually i did not lift the suspensions because the new springs are the same lenght of the original one but quite harder than the worn 34 year old one. I think that + longer tip of the febi ball joint and + the camper completely empty at the moment did the issue.
I hope!

Today with some luck I am going to dismantle the rear suspension and brakes...
Do you have suggestions to improve the force of the hand brake? Becaus it has never been sufficiently strong to lock the rear tires reliably.

Very thank you to the help of every one
Fiorenzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Are both sides rubbing? Looking at the last set of pictures, it looks
like it might be better to clearance the upright. Lots of material there.

Hi thank you, i am not completely sure of what you mean. The bushings of the up arm are completely in and new. I dont understand where you mean there is a lot of material.
Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Instead of grinding the ball joint, you could clearance the area on the suspension where it is rubbing. Reads like you have decided to cut the ball joint down.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

You could easily cut off the tang on the the top of the stud. Its only purpose is to give you something to grab onto when installing the stud into the eye and it is hardly necessary as if you load the suspension the stud will lock into the eye and not turn anyway. Grind 6 to 8mm off the top of the stud and be on your way.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Too much caster angle will pull the wheels forward which angles the spindle/upright into a position where the tip of the ball joint can come into contact with the upright. It looks to me like you have a combination of too much caster angle combined with the stud on the ball joint being slightly taller than normal.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Fiorenzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Instead of grinding the ball joint, you could clearance the area on the suspension where it is rubbing. Reads like you have decided to cut the ball joint down.

Yes but how could i proceed to "clearance the area on the suspension where it is rubbing" ?
Fiorenzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Too much caster angle will pull the wheels forward which angles the spindle/upright into a position where the tip of the ball joint can come into contact with the upright. It looks to me like you have a combination of too much caster angle combined with the stud on the ball joint being slightly taller than normal.

This is interesting, actually I did not checked the caster angle until now because I have left it as it was before rebuilding the suspension, i will check it when i will do the suspension aligning.

However i have cut the tip of the stud and now i don't have any more problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But if you compare this photo with the next one it seem that, even if all the steering is turned, the limit point it is never reached because the lower arm adaptor hit the back of the knuckle.
I don't know if it is due to a bad suspension alignment or it is a normal behaviour.
The camber is all the way positive now, the caster i am not sure, the front is not lifted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Pinging this old thread as I am having the same issue after rebuilding the front end with all new bushings and replacing shocks and springs, upper and lower ball joints. The springs are the GW zero lift - though I understand there may be a bit of lift added.

I imagine this is fairly common after completing the dreaded front end rebuild. Would be great to hear if anyone else found the issue to be caster angle. Or if other problems were found to be the source.

I have an 83.5 and the LBJ I installed was lemforder. I'll grind off the end if I have too but want to make sure this is not indicating another issue.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

^^
Since you just did the job, any chance you have the old ball joint kicking around? A quick measurement will tell you if the stud is longer.
It has come to the point that I will evaluate a new part prior to installation no matter the brand, just to be sure it is "the same"

If the shaft has a slightly smaller taper, it will go in deeper and protrude further, if the shaft is a tad longer....
and then proper alignment.
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

Unfortunately I do not still have the old ball joint and I'll start grinding away here soon.

FWIW, I just messed with various adjustments to caster (radius rod) and camber (UCA bolt). Neither seem to make this work so grinding is increasingly seeming to be the right answer. I'll reply back here if I'm able to make either of those work.
grant111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint hurting steering Knuckle. Really need help Reply with quote

I had the same problem indicated in the photos and used a thin cutting wheel on my die grinder to remove 4.3 mm (the unthreaded top portion of the lower ball joint shaft). Problem solved.

Perhaps the problem is a combination of the ball joint shaft being a bit longer and the mounting point in the knuckle being widened from use allowing more of the ball joint shaft to penetrate.

My Vanagon is a 1985. I added 1986 knuckles and used a GW 1.5" lift spring with the extension. It could also be possible that the lower limit / geometry of the early Vanagon is different from later Vanagons.

Either way - after fretting the whole weekend - I'm moving to the next hurdle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: