Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Wood Panel Templates
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bay window dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

The resurrection of my new 1970/71 weekender has been coming along slowly (I will post more pictures soon). Engine is built and broken in, new brakes/shocks installed all around, tie rod ends replaced and most electrical issues sorted out, so on to the interior.

When I picked up my bus, all of the interior panels had been ripped out already by the previous owner as they were trashed from leaking windows and rodents (based on the garbage I found next to the driver seat it had been sitting almost as long as I've been alive). I picked up 4 5x5 panels of Baltic Birch so far (the remainder of the inventory at my local lumber store) and will be doing the headliner first.

I have searched through the headliner/interior panel posts, but can't find any templates to print or reference. Does anyone have template drawings or just measurements to start with, or is making a cardboard template going to be my best bet? I will probably be going with 1" rigid foam insulation for the roof unless someone has a better recommendation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

It sounds like you've taken a giant leap forward in refreshing your Westy. Yours reminds me of my first one. Dancing

1" rigid insulation is... ummm... rigid. How do you plan on conforming it to the contour of the roof? You might consider Reflectix, which is a rolled reflective insulation that is pretty thin and effective. I've also heard of people using carpet, but don't know their results.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bay window dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Well, 2/3 are done; they were a pain to make with no templates and just as bad to install, but I think they turned out pretty good. I ended up cutting the rear one too small in the back, so I'll have to give that another shot and reuse the miss-cut for some smaller panels.

I will provide some drawings and measurements on the cuts I made when I have a chance to put them together.

I still need to figure out where the rear light cut should be made; if anyone has/could take a measurement, that would be appreciated.
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Good job! that looks great. I'm looking forward seeing the templates since I gotta dot he same thing shortly.

Thanks!
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

That looks awesome! Did you end up using the 1" rigid insulation, or something else?

Also, please do post the drawings and measurements when you have the time. I'll have to tackle this project soon as well.
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

I can send you a template that you can use for cutting door panels. It's a full-scale paper tracing that I used to cut 3mm thick birch in my 73 Westfalia. PM me and I can drop in the mail.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

great job! did you happen to take those measurements? mine came without panels as well so would be helpful. all the other panels were easy to mock up using cardboard but a little intimidated by the headliner
71 Deluxe Bay
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

oops.. double post. damn back button!
71 Deluxe Bay
haggardrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Heres a good link I found for doing Westy interior panels, I dont think it has any dimesions, but it does give a good rundown of how/what to do!

https://zerotosixtyeventually.wordpress.com/2013/0...all-panel/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alinghi12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

I'd love to get those measurements as well...... It looks so well cut!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

alinghi12 wrote:

I have old panels that I can get rough measurements if you want, but I'm not sure how to convey all the curves for that front piece. People on this site have talked about making templates, but I've never seen any posted. Ideas how to do that? I'd be happy to give it a whirl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
alinghi12 wrote:

I have old panels that I can get rough measurements if you want, but I'm not sure how to convey all the curves for that front piece. People on this site have talked about making templates, but I've never seen any posted. Ideas how to do that? I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

not sure how I missed this.. any templates you could produce would be a huge help! maybe draw out width, and max/min length?
71 Deluxe Bay
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Im sure someone here has computer chops and could translate to a .pdf file. I've seen similar files for convertible body supports.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
alinghi12 wrote:

not sure how I missed this.. any templates you could produce would be a huge help! maybe draw out width, and max/min length?

You need headliner only?
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

yes sir! I had templates for the rest. its for a deluxe so I dont have a reference for the wood headliner.. installing the u channel for the edges today. managed to grab that from a friends parts bus and took a bunch of measurement for where it mounts
71 Deluxe Bay
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
yes sir! I had templates for the rest. its for a deluxe so I dont have a reference for the wood headliner.. installing the u channel for the edges today. managed to grab that from a friends parts bus and took a bunch of measurement for where it mounts

I need this info for my 74 too! Please post it up here Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:

Making a paper template seems pretty straight forward, but I haven't the computer knowledge to turn something that large into a digital document. I imagine you'd need a plotter to print them out on your end. Ideas on how to do this are welcome and if successful, I'll do all the panels I have.

I'll see what I can do this week in getting the template drawn. From there, worst case, I'll mail them.

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
I need this info for my 74 too! Please post it up here Cool

My panels are from a 71 westy, not sure how they might differ from a 74 but let me know if a 71 pattern will work.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

In picking up this discussion (has it been a year already), I managed to mail a few sets of paper templates that I traced from my originals. No idea how they worked out. However, repeatedly tracing the panels, dealing with shipping, and collecting the shipping costs is a pain. So I made the following images of the panels I have on hand.

Might not be perfect, but are a good start. Let me know of errors or missing info and I'll modify. The photos have distortion, one just needs to trust the numbers. I am not sure that if I measured a second set from another bus the numbers would perfectly match.

Notes: The colors red and green stood out best for readability (I apologize to those who are colorblind); one can click on the pictures and zoom in; unless otherwise stated all measurements are in cm; all distances concerning holes are taken from\to the center of the hole; all hole positions should be doubled checked with the reader’s bus as should all curves (most curves will be up to the individual to infer from measurements or their bus); I did not replicate measurements of duplicate features unless required; and data is placed in the photos with visibility in mind (I tried not to hide the features of the panel).

My blog write up that has a fe more details in the captions: https://zerotosixtyeventually.wordpress.com/2019/0...#more-7294

Front ceiling:

Rear ceiling:

Pop-top side panels:

Driver side long panel:

Sliding door:

Hatch:

Panel for between sink unit and sliding door:

Last edited by ewdb92 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
StrictlyAaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Thank you for the dimensions. This is the first time in 2 years of searching that ive seen dimensions. My question to ewdb92 is this.

On the rear roof section it shows the outside as 122cm.. the inside is 144.8cm to the dip? are these numbers reversed by chance. I dont see how its longer on the long side than it is in the middle.

Also on the bottom it shows 126.8 and the front portion is 109 is this meaning it tapers towards the front? or is that with the divot section as 109 plus 18.8 is 126.8 not sure if i reading this correct or not.. Thanks much for the work. Greatly appreciated
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: