Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old ways for old days
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jk pretti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many of the buggy photos on this thread are coming from the largest online collection of old school buggy photos and videos which can found on Facebook. Photos featured provide a description, backstory, or interviews with the buggy owners. It the best place for all forms of the dune buggy dating back to the 1950s.

I see some of my personal photos on this thread and the only online place I've posted those photos are the Old School Buggies page on Facebook.

Below is the FB link; really good historical stuff - apparently the administrator writes the old school buggy stories for Sand Sports and Hot VWs magazine.

https://www.facebook.com/Old-School-Dune-Buggies-and-Sand-Rails-229443403847250/
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Some Great photos... Thanks to all for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bossride wrote:

wow, was my 6" over beam and 3x3 trailing arms really needed?

YEP! Wink

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
bossride wrote:

YEP! Wink

Not really... Cool

That's a Hi Jumper Ascot buggy, a bit earlier than mine in my avatar and built for Sprint Buggy class racing at places like Ascot in Gardena, CA.

The photo is from the Mickey Thompson Off Road Grand Prix at Riverside, CA. This is at the 1st jump on the dirt after the start/finish line up on the pavement of the road race track's Turn 6 in the background.

Note the stock beam still has the stock travel limiters in place and a center mount stock steering box with a fair amount of bump steer in the setup. The rear tires are pretty parallel, suggesting IRS to the un-educated. But in truth, the car had swingaxle with limited droop travel to prevent jacking in corners. The frame is a 2-seater with the driver seat in the middle to make it a single seater. The front body is vinyl fabric snapped onto the frame.

The car following is a Funco Hustler single seater, also stock beam and limited travel swing axle. But a Desert car basically.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

I forgot this post existed

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
hssc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

This is a picture of the back of a old school Hi Jumper I bought this past year.
hssc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Posting photos of this old Hi Jumper has been a bit painful. The aluminum work on this car is top notch.

I remember a similar car posted here before photo bucket pulled the rug out on us. This car was built to a very high standard for its time.

I intend to use the car for exploring. Making some minor upgrades. Pulling the 356 porsche front spindles and brakes that are going on a berg powered 55 oval . I know, that will be a down grade going to stock drum brakes.

I have go fast buggies. This will be the Kickapoo Car. It is quite narrow and light perfect for getting into tight trails.
Kickapoo Ken.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

I would have to paint Animal Control on that buggy. Have a tape of Chewbacca playing inside the box. make a shaker mechanism to shake the whole car at random intervals...

terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Quote:
PostPosted: Today 6:59 am Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days
I would have to paint Animal Control on that buggy. Have a tape of Chewbacca playing inside the box. make a shaker mechanism to shake the whole car at random intervals...

Little harsh ?
That's a real cool car I would like to see more of it. Looks like it has a fair amount of engineering and old school parts. Maybe start a thread on what you got . I always get a little anxious when this thread comes up love the pics
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Yeah Mal...Why so negative?

I LOVE that Hi Jumper!

When I bought my Hi Jumper Ascot frame in the mid-1970s, I seriously considered ordering a squareback. My plan at the time was not to build a race car, but an offroad adventure car built much like a race car with license plates. An old favorite is one which may be a Hi Jumper, but I think is probably a Funco with very similar aluminum body work on the back. It was shown in the 1970 Baja-Prepping VW Sedans and Dune Buggies that was the fore-runner of Jeff Hibbard's book.

That car had me looking into putting a windshield in it and enclosing the rear area.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
hssc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Here is a front view of the car taken when I got it home. Thank you Dusty Mohave for those pics. I believe the person responsible for the aluminum work on that car did the work on this car. I was told a story about how the car made it to Nevada and I have an entertaining story on how I acquired it. I believe this is a Survivor car / dune buggy. It's packed full of peroid features and I was wondering if I should start a new thread or continue here with more pic's and stories.
Ken
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah Mal...Why so negative?

where and how do you get "negative"?

hssc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Here is a couple more pics of the animal control containment area. Inside is the type 3 air cleaner that pulled clean air out of the back thur the spun aluminum air cleaner. There are what look to be two early bus fuel tanks. You can see a small wooden box. It held a tig welder gun. A welder was carried in the back hence the nylon netting behind the driver in case things got loose.

These will be the only critters riding around in the Kickapoo Animal Control Vehicle.
Ken
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Dang that aluminum work is much more impressive up close. Either aircraft guy or coach builder. If you are going to restore it then I would start a thread. I am sure I would want to see it.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Yes please do start a thread, that rig is very, very cool!
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

being resto'd in MY garage, as we speak....WILL be @ the "Old School Buggy reunion" @ Pismo dunes in August, 2018 Cool Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hssc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

I will start a new thread it will include my family as we are a team and I will also weave in a old Sand Hopper car. It will be my daughter's car so safety will be a top priority. With the Hi Jumper I will try to maintain its originality with help from Samba members as as to how far I can drift away from its original build.

We got a little 3-inch snow storm, I'm naming the car Kickapoo.
Ken
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

My Pismo Cruiser built in 1962 from a '57 Beetle.

Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
pullstart wrote:
bossride wrote:

YEP! Wink

Not really... Cool

That's a Hi Jumper Ascot buggy, a bit earlier than mine in my avatar and built for Sprint Buggy class racing at places like Ascot in Gardena, CA.

The photo is from the Mickey Thompson Off Road Grand Prix at Riverside, CA. This is at the 1st jump on the dirt after the start/finish line up on the pavement of the road race track's Turn 6 in the background.

Note the stock beam still has the stock travel limiters in place and a center mount stock steering box with a fair amount of bump steer in the setup. The rear tires are pretty parallel, suggesting IRS to the un-educated. But in truth, the car had swingaxle with limited droop travel to prevent jacking in corners. The frame is a 2-seater with the driver seat in the middle to make it a single seater. The front body is vinyl fabric snapped onto the frame.

The car following is a Funco Hustler single seater, also stock beam and limited travel swing axle. But a Desert car basically.

My grandfather used to build and race Harleys for flat track and tt around the same time. Small world.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Quit making me feel old.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: