Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

I installed a bluetooth OBD2 reader in my 2001 EVC to monitor transmission temperature using Torque Pro on a Nexus 7 tablet. Torque Pro is up and running and works great for everything except transmission fluid temperature.
I installed the gauges on the Torque Pro screen for both "Method 1" and "Method 2" transmission fluid temperatures but get no numerical display.
If anyone has gotten this to work, a little help would be appreciated.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

The OBD2 reader I got for my Eurovan shows two sets of code. One for engine, one for transmission. You have to toggle between the two. When you toggle to transmission, it reveals transmission temps as CLNT TMP.
So in short, look for tranny coolant temp reading. Not transmission temp reading. Maybe that helps?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

Actually, you just need to turn off the bluetooth device and back on again after about 10 seconds of having the van on. Not sure why this is the case, but it works for a few of us. Some have even installed OBDII cables with a switch to make this easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:
Actually, you just need to turn off the bluetooth device and back on again after about 10 seconds of having the van on. Not sure why this is the case, but it works for a few of us. Some have even installed OBDII cables with a switch to make this easier.

Thanks! It spontaneously started working, so I wonder if I may have done this inadvertently.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

OK, I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader with an on/off switch and downloaded Torque Pro. Everything seems to work except the transmission fluid temp. I have toggled the OBD2 on/off after engine has been running a while and I am still having trouble reading the transmission fluid temp.

Is there a start up procedure that works for you?

I have a 2001 EVC.

thanks,
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

Just an update to let everyone know that Android 11 update has caused Torque Pro to stop functioning. Hopefully Torque will fix this bug soon.
sagavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
OK, I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader with an on/off switch and downloaded Torque Pro. Everything seems to work except the transmission fluid temp. I have toggled the OBD2 on/off after engine has been running a while and I am still having trouble reading the transmission fluid temp.

I have a 2001 EVC.

thanks,

Did you ever figure this out? When the temperature doesn’t show up, I completely close out of Torque Pro, reopen it, give it a few seconds to connect with the OBDII reader and then click into the real time gauges. It usually shows up after this sequence. If you’re still having issues, it could also be your obdII reader. Try removing it and reinstalling it during this startup sequence.

Also good to know about the update. Since I’m an iPhone user, I bought a cheap android phone to keep in the van and turned off the WiFi/cell signals. I haven’t updated it since I bought it and now I’ll keep it that way!
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

sagavan wrote:
orbeamike wrote:

I have a 2001 EVC.

thanks,

Did you ever figure this out? When the temperature doesn’t show up, I completely close out of Torque Pro, reopen it, give it a few seconds to connect with the OBDII reader and then click into the real time gauges. It usually shows up after this sequence. If you’re still having issues, it could also be your obdII reader. Try removing it and reinstalling it during this startup sequence.

Also good to know about the update. Since I’m an iPhone user, I bought a cheap android phone to keep in the van and turned off the WiFi/cell signals. I haven’t updated it since I bought it and now I’ll keep it that way!

Yes I have it working reliably now after I replaced the OBD dongle with another one with better reviews. Luckily I have an old Android phone that is now a dedicated Torque Pro reading device.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

I thought I would give my recent experience in case anyone is looking for help. This might be something to try.

I have an android head unit in my 2003. In addition to providing all my sound system options it also allows the installation of android apps. So of course I installed Torque Pro, version 1.8.205 to be exact. This version has sensor options of:
Transmission Temperature(Method 1)
Transmission Temperature(Method 2)

Method 1 has worked well for me for many years. Method 2 does not work. And yes, I have to cycle on/off the OBDII bluetooth dongle at times to get transmission temp.

Recently, I had the bright idea of repurposing an older Fire tablet to capture a number of Torque data points for longer trips. So, I downloaded the latest version of Torque Pro, version 1.12.101 and connected it up to the same OBDII bluetooth dongle. But now I discover Transmission Temperature(Method 1) is no longer available! Only Transmission Temperature(Method 2) which does not work. After doing some reading on the Torque forums and other recesses of the internet I went back to my Fire and noticed that Torque recognizes 2 ECUs. So I guessed the second ECU is actually the TCU and the 'engine coolant' is actually transmission fluid temperature. Fortunately for me, I also have VCDS so I could verify the temperature readings and it is in fact the transmission fluid temp. The Torque sensor name is ECU( 18 ): Engine Coolant Temperature.

Hopefully someone finds this useful. YMMV.
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

Thanks, that is fantastically helpful!

I recall being similarly confused using Torque Pro on my 2002. Whatever reading I was getting off the program didn't correlate to the analog temp gauge I had hard wired to the transmission. So I wasn't sure which reading was correct.

I'll have to look at what ECU 18 is showing now. Wish I had figured this out, when I was changing my transmission fluid and realized all my temp readings were off. Thank god I must have been close enough, as the transmission hasn't blown up yet. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Endopotential on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help with transmission temperature on Torque Pro Reply with quote

thanks bigfoot_ev

I'm using a used scangaugeII that I picked up on eBay, but it had old firmware and I had to update it...

I also have a handheld Autel unit. Just confirming that my Autel also saw "two ECUs" as your bluetooth adapter + Torque Pro did, and the 2nd CPU is likely the TCU and has a temperature parameter that seems to be the transmission temp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: