Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Your attention to detail is putting my project to shame Surprised

This Westy is going to be superb when you've finished it, keep the updates coming, its an enjoyable read Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:

This Westy is going to be superb when you've finished it, keep the updates coming, its an enjoyable read Smile

No way! Your doing the dreaded body work. Way more intense that what I’m grappling with.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

No way! Your doing the dreaded body work. Way more intense that what I’m grappling with.

Upside down covered in dust Very Happy its all worthwhile in the long run though!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

I've been getting ready to post again and visiting with Brian about what some of the details were and what decisions were made on the engine. It's weird how you remember it one way and then your camera roll shows it all went down in a different order, Ha. Then, when I log on here I get distracted looking at a ten year old Split Bus patina thread thats 77 pages long for about an hour. Neat to see what was being predicted there in 2005. Anyway........

Brian had been sending me pictures as he went along with the build. I can't emphasize enough just how lucky I am to have had the level of access and inclusion in the project Brian gave me. Maybe he knew I was simply interested and liked teaching me things. I never wanted to lean in too much and get under foot or mine his brain for no real reason, but way nicer than dropping off the core and some money and getting a mystery motor back in a few months.

This series of pics if from the cam gear he pulled and mounted on my new cam.
He had hammered out the old rivets and turned new mounting screws.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I asked him if it's because the OG metal was better quality and he said yes, but

"The biggest reason is because there were about 14 different pitch sizes used by the factory. -7 to 0 and then up to +7 sizes. They had all of them there to chose from when building the engines and they would use the gear that fit the best. The machining differences in every case make it impossible to have a one size fits all gear. The aftermarket gears only come in one size." Makes sense to me.

He also mentioned..."I double checked the fit of the original gear once it was mounted on the cam and it fit perfect. I did have to counterbore the holes for the bolts. The original cams were riveted on and the new cam is bolt together."

Honestly, I don't know off hand what he's measuring here, but it looks cool! Looks like the pistons weigh the same. Progress baby!

Brian had ordered my new fuel pump and handed it to me one day in his shop, my job being to get it installed in the bus. When this engine is ready to install, I want my homework done and not be dealing with this sort of thing last minute.

He also likes the Amsoil brand for the transaxle and although he can get it, there is another local distributor I find online and he delivers some same day to the shop!

With these pieces in hand, the next free time I have is spent getting into this. I started with the easiest first. The lube got pumped into the transaxle and plugged. Gotta make sure that's not forgotten.

Then it was time to get my fuel pump mounted. I had a stall at this point as my new low pressure pump is a little thinner than the FI one. I still wanted to use the rubber mount harness for it and had to scrounge around the garage for a suitable option to build it up with. I tried a thing or two that didn't pass and then tried this rubber piece I had taken off who knows what and saved sometime ago. I built it up with some thin strips of cut inner tube and the rubber worked on over pretty tight, twisting it with the same direction the rubber was turned on. The body to bracket rubber mounts are new and turn on with a 22mm wrench, a first for that size so far and I remember because I have an oddball one I never use but can't get rid of and glad I never did. Being the brackets are under the car I tossed them in to be powder coated some time ago.

Kev saw what the slider turned out like and tossed me a new screen on my way out from his place one day. I also got my curtains laundered and ironed and although somewhat faded don't look too bad when they're tied back.

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

People have been asking me already if I'm driving my bus yet. Shocked I've been talking about it a lot and I suppose I haven't conveyed well what's all involved. I suppose they think one can pick up a phone and have a crated motor at your door step in a week. I was even surprised in the beginning with that as well, but I'm telling people we're about half way there.....I'm not impatient at all. I'm having a good time going through the bus and once Kevin and I went out for a cruise in one of his for a bit. I am getting more and more excited though as the day I can drive it is looking possible within the year?? I don't know, and I don't care "when", just that it "will" happen.

Brian has been sending a lot of interesting updates. I know he's been working a lot on some tooling for the heads. To me, this is one of the neatest parts, him making the tools to cut the heads for the new valve seats.

He calls the me up and says he needs the fan pulley so it can get attached to the crank and balanced together. It was a real nice day so I decide to ride over there. I zip tied it to my belt and cruised over with it on my lap and he gets quite a chuckle about how funny I looked walking in his garage with it hanging off me looking for snips. It's sooo good to see all my motor parts sitting on his bench getting his full attention now that he's completed the jobs he had going when we met. I think this is going to be great!

When I get back home I'm so stoked I start doubling my efforts. I just pick something to do late at night and grab the stashed fridge control panel. I'm thinking I'd like to get all my interior set soon and this could get in first. Nice and quiet so it can get my full attention late at night.

It's pretty caked with dirt and what looks like a lacquer of something all up in the switches. It looks like dried soda or something to me but it doesn't dissolve with water. Some sort of switch wax maybe? I always start cleaning with the least aggressive substance and work up from there, especially with this non replaceable piece.

I used some plastic polish on the clear lens and the haze polishes right off. I try some orange cleaner and is slowly starts to get whatever is between the switches loosened up a little. That is encouraging and soon they are worked pretty free. I understand now how this panel works, how to turn the city power on to charge your deep cell battery or not and one non locking switch is there just to check your battery level. Dial timer and fuse. Ha! Some actual factory soldered wiring connections at the Fuse! A first. Ok, the wiring looks solid so I expect it will work.

I remember eche_bus going to great lengths perfecting the ability to silkscreen new golden lettering on the backing plate. He did a bunch of forum members panels too, I missed that boat, dang it, or I would have done it. They looked great. Anyway, all in all, mine isn't that far gone and it seems stable as it didn't get any lighter from cleaning it.

The next day I get it set in the panel. Plugs right in. There's a galvanized metal strip that's behind the panel one shouldn't miss as it supports the bottom right mounting hole. Mine apparently is just a little bit off, but that's how it came, so nothing to really worry about.

Before

After

Checking things off feels great! Honestly, I'm not sure how many Westy interior refreshes I have in me.....it'll be a while before I forget and ever take on another set, but Kevs got one that needs attention, so maybe jump on his.... Laughing
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

I've been running all over town getting this and that for the big day. The man who helped me with the propane bottle provided a new brass body passthrough fitting and made me a custom length flexible line from the bottle to the fitting. My old fitting was has horribly fused and was so dang stuck it was quite damaged when I finally removed it. I now had that in hand and have that under the bus and installed. Now with a few days off, my Dad is coming over to get me going on the rest of the interior and and help me carry and set the headbanger and the kitchen block.

The day started out with perfect weather until about noon then it clowded up and got cold. Typical, but it only sprinkled once and provided great filtered light for photos.

With the Headbanger hung and set to the Wardrobe, then to the Fridge we were ready to bring in the Kitchen Block. I seem to have overlooked a laminate seam and decided to reglue that while it was still out. I lost my Dad here, he had to bail, but I was all set to go now, so Thanks!!

I get some quick photos, but I still have to get everything attached inside the block. There are several things to connect but I just take my time. I'm having a blast!

With the inside connections finished I decide it's early enough in the day to just keep plugging away get after the city hook ups and the seals around the drain under the bus. Turns into a bit of a deal, but after I redo the adhesive foam around the drains strips a few times I'm satisfied with the result enough to say DONE!

This is looking great and gets good feedback from Kevin and Brian and anyone I can corner long enough to show pictures. I definitely have bus fever going pretty hard.

When I bought the bus the table was sadly MIA and few attempts to source an OG one on the classifieds failed so I bought a reproduction table from BusDepot (while calling to check on my broken panel status Smile ). It's pretty nice I must say, but he bottom of the wood is a little light is all, so I plan on staining that to match the rest of the OG interior. More on that later....G man approved.

Last edited by WildIdea on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

41 years of PO splooge gets difficult to scrub off. Glad to see you’ve cleared the way for your christening someday. The bus is coming along real nice. Hope to see you and the G-man on the road soon!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
41 years of PO splooge gets difficult to scrub off. Glad to see you’ve cleared the way for your christening someday. The bus is coming along real nice. Hope to see you and the G-man on the road soon!

Ha! You got that right Carlos! Were pressing on for the day!

Thank you!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

love the head nod at the end of the slider vid.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments folks. Some neat things keep happening in the family with the bus. I want to introduce a new arrival at this time as it relates to the story. We brought home another Bus. I'll tell a quick note about it, then drop it and get back to the 77 Bus at hand, but I want to let folks know we're mobile!!

She's a beautiful mostly OG paint 1965 SWR Walkthrough Standard.

It all sparked with Kevin transferring his interest in split windows pretty much anytime we hang out. He loves all busses, but it seems he's finding older ones lately. I never even considered owning a split as they just seemed either too crusty or expensive and me not knowing much about them seemed it would take all my concentration to get involved and I was preoccupied with the 77.

There was one split bus that came around, super nice green one. Basically super complete and original and probably cleaner than my Bay. Kev and I went into discussions, but first shot was promised to someone else. They bought it. No prob, but Cathy was actually sad, HaHa! We started looking around and watching the classifieds and got up to speed on what prices are and getting used to the concept but mostly that nice splits sell FAST, like in an hour or two. That's hard to pull the trigger on when your not looking at the bus in person.

Kevin says "You need a harder bus to fix" and don't need to buy a total cherry, I take that as a compliment. One will show up, he says not to get in a hurry.

Brian catches wind "Don't do it. Don't get into Splits, there expensive, stick with Bays" We go back and fourth with that and what's all involved, too bad you missed this one or that one sold last year after sitting for sale etc. Still, he says old buses are cool....would be good for you to work through years of PO hacks and rust instead of just cleaning that cherry Bay. He figures one will show eventually, just don't chase one....

I try to make some sober comments to Cat about what would be involved and that we could have a few Bays for what a Split cost. She says you already have one of the nicest Bays around, let's get a split. What a sweetheart! I think waiting to get into the 77 is just killing us and she green lights the idea saying "If you have Bus Fever so bad and the Bays motor is a ways out, get another bus, just make sure it's a split". Yes ma'am. It just doesn't happen overnight.

Kevin keeps looking and we both decide to pass on several for one reason or another until he sends a pic of this one. Long story will likely be in its own thread soon, but a deal is struck and she's coming home. I'm tripping out! A split!! "Red" need a lot, but again a solid platform. We get her tuned up and looked over about a month and were hitting the parks around town as a family. The kids admit it's fun and start to understand what all the madness is about.

I think it's a nice pair. A late bay camper and a split transporter. My parents are like "Are you gonna start collecting Buses now Rolling Eyes ?" maybe. Cool I think my neighbors are getting nervous too, but my newer cars are in the driveway, not the buses. Free country and all and I'm still within my covenants. This street can afford to liven up a bit!

Still lots of details to get after with the Bay, like the rear bed cushion. It's totally sun faded. It would be cool to just flip this over but it's shaped for the air intake. It goes to Kevin's house where they do upholstery proper. They think they have enough material to get the one side replaced.

Another thing of note is the new door sill. I wasn't sure what happened to mine, in fact, I wasn't so sure anything was wrong with it until I saw a newer one on another bus. A search on the classifieds here produced a source for a new one. BusOK in the Netherlands. I'll mention the tedious typing of online checkouts are always annoying, but for the bus I'll whittle through a translation tool to fill out a checkout process, lol. Anything for the bus. It's a good thing these guys speak English and took pity on me trying to type in Dutch...Some Euros head that way on paypal and in a few weeks I get this slick new sill. Looks great!

I'm been hunting for complete front seat belt housings with the brightest chartreuse buttons I can find. I score a pretty good pair at a car show for 5 bucks! My old one is on the right of the group. Just trying to high-grade anything I can thats a solid swap. Even the curtain cable looks great without sun damage.

With the two buses, the classifieds are really opening up and I'm having fun working with strangers from all over. Having a great time. I must say, having a bus to drive around and run errands with is great fun and takes the pressure off the Bay to push, pull and drag it over the finish line. It really helps keep the focus on doing it right and not cut corners just to catch whats left of the driving season.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Sweet score dude! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
cek347
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

I appreciate your story, the work you are doing, and your documentation. It's not only enjoyable to read but inspirational. I don't know if I'll get the chance to own a bus again but this gives me motivation.

Keep it up!
'17 Prius Prime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

cek347 wrote:
I appreciate your story, the work you are doing, and your documentation. It's not only enjoyable to read but inspirational. I don't know if I'll get the chance to own a bus again but this gives me motivation.

Keep it up!

Thank you! I love talking about the bus and even better to folks that care! It takes a fair amount of time to get a post out and sometimes that's hard to come by so its always nice to know someone is digging it.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

It's been all Splity this and Splitty that around the house lately. That's fine and all but the reality of owning two buses is heavy and I don't want to fall into the trap of forgetting about the Bay because there is something new around. When I feel I can use a break from one, I just bounce on over to the other and it actually helps the situation. It becomes a balanced routine.

Brian told me once the core would get bolted together several times (8?) and measured and he's already on like time 6 and has started machining the heads with his newly made tools. Boring out the vales and he said that he always gets nervous about pressing in the seats and will feel way better once those are in. They are going to go in tight, so that can always be risky. I can't tell you how stoked I am at this and just wonder at what this guy is capable of. Hot rod motor head freak stuff. I like it!

I should just lay out Brian's motor build in one set of posts of their own and maybe I will to recap at the end as it gets a little watered down talked about it between all the other fixes. This is just the order in which this is happening.

On the other side of town,,,,,,
Kevin has been thinking his paint booth will be freeing up in a few weeks and sending notice. My fiberglass is coming up the list. I get the Bay rolled out and try to get a handle on what my pop top is gonna need. I always ask my Daughter to help with the breaking and steering when I get the bus in and out of the garage. It's not much, but I hope and trust it will make a lasting emotional impression on her to the vehicle.

Same with G. I want him to think Westy laminate and parts around is normal. This reminds me I'm not entirely through with the interior! The Buddy Seat had one cracked side of lam and I harvested it to finish the Kitchen Block. The scab pieces on the lid rails I believe and I thought it more important there and easier to replace on the seat.

Anyway..

First, I get the body side tent rail removed and notation bagged and stored. The drip line is pretty easy to clean.

The Luggage Rack is a whole other beast. You see, I would have benefited from a set of gloves to protect from the insolation, but I thought "it's only three bolts". Man, I'm itching just thinking about it. Not much room in there under the headliner and I basically ground it in the top of my hand. Dumb.

I really wasn't prepared to see all the junk up under there. Apparently water is allowed to pass through, but not self clean, Ha! A bunch of plant matter and layered dust. It looks bad but wipes up with soapy water and a bundle of rags.

I have a bit of paint peeling along the front edge but nothing serious, thankfully. I can't imagine what horrors would come from a rust hole there.

I leave the long lid piece on and call it for now. I'll need a tall, strong buddy over to help get it off and its safest up there anyway. Kev says he'll come over and remove it with me the day we bring it over to paint.

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

There are some big leap forward things going on in Brian's shop. I can follow what's going on but I would be lost as to what some of the measurement choices are and what types of modifications are preferable to go for. He says there have been many "adventures in porting" and has learned a lot along the way and has settled into what he thinks works best. He obviously possesses the knowledge to bolt one of these together quickly, but wants to step it up and make something that really interests him as well, keeping the creative juices flowing and the energy high. I just can't believe how nice it's coming along and just get stoked every time he sends me pictures. I'm totally cool with sitting this out and just think its gonna be worth the wait. Same as what goes along with getting work at my shop. Folks want it now, but have to wait and we want that to be worth it in the end and working with people that '"get it" make it all the more enjoyable and worth it. I try to make Brian want to step it up for me by not being a jerk about time and always tell him to "take more time if you think it will make it nicer"

He's getting ready to marry the seats to the heads and cuts the seats to fit his newly cut holes, saying a 4 dollar seat is easier to replace than getting the head wrong.

It's so cool. We were somewhere and I get a text message that the big pinch point is over and he has all 8 seats pressed and it all went well and he's relieved. Said the tolerances are rather tight and past the book specs so had the head in an oven and the rings in a freezer and trotting across the shop back and fourth each time with only a few min to work each one. This picture is them cooling to room temp complete.

One can see here how much larger the valves will be from the amount to aluminum that still needs to get cut out. This is gonna be a big help getting more air through the motor. He sets into the time with his flow bench and says the seats will get cut after the boring is complete in case his grinding tool accidentally touches them.

Life is all about the Heads right now and anything they influence, like these carb intakes. Says one can just bolt these on but he likes to deck them so they marry better to the head and get a ton of metal out of them as well. He told me long ago he was going to up level his effort because I was on the bus and were just having a blast talking about it and dreaming about what were gonna have when were through. Were having a great time and so fun without some sort of self imposed deadline.

I give all the credit to this guy. He's plugging away and not cutting any corners. I'm so grateful I ever met this dude and feel the world is woefully thin of people like him and this kind of skill set and mentality. I just can't praise him enough. Thanks Brian. These pictures I took myself when I was over there... Super neato stuff.

All my efforts and investment on the bus are for nothing without this and it's boiling down to looking like we'll be ready at about the same time like we planned a year ago, so pressing on! Talks are starting about maybe me making the new motor for the Split myself with his guidance. He said, the one you have now will work fine until you get tired of it not having any power. I'm already there, but can live with it for now until the Bay is online. I'm all in but say it would be a decent goal to just learn how to build one without trying to trick out any parts and he says he'll build the heads for me and that I can work with those. He says that if I'm gonna be into these I might as well know how to work over a motor myself. I'm excited about it and won't pass on the chance to be his understudy if he thinks I have the proper mindset to handle the task.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

A couple neat things came together at the same time. First, I received a packed from BusDepot with the replacement Westy panels that had received shipping damage last season. Second, I have my rear mattress back from Kevin already.

I was super stoked to see the Bus Depot box and wondering how I would do if they were broken againthis time. I was sort of nervous to open the box. A lot of waiting and nail biting has happened, still, I promised myself I wouldn't freak out or anything and they look to have a ridiculous amount of packing material so I'm pretty hopeful. I can't wait any longer and I rip into the package and slowly peek at each part as its revealed from the bubble wrap. Completely intact and perfect in every way!!!! Oh, heck yeah! Well worth the wait. A super shout out to Frank V. at BD for walking this through to its completion, solid followthrough there, Thanks!!

A parts and tool run and with mattress in hand, G man throws himself down on it to try it out in the driveway. OK dude, let's toss it in the bus and try it out there. This will be what your looking at for a campout and he approves....

A few days later and I'm brimming with energy to install the rest of my interior panels. I get the rear hatch locking mechanism clean and prepped and the hatch panel pops right in with the English snaps. I've heard some repos don't hold right, but these are super tight. No problem with that piece.

Its the passenger side wheel well piece thats a bit of a hassle. It doesn't want to come out without taking out my entire rear bench. I knew this was going to be the case when I began last year and I pressed forward anyway with the the other refreshes. Knowing then I would have to undo some of it, I resigned myself to taking my time and pulling the rear bench with a level of patience so as to not break anything. I've been through this several times at this point and it only took a few min knowing where and what all the hardware is and what tools to grab.

I had to file a few spots for exact fitment and again, prepped the edges with matching stain. Then transferring the screw holes, it went in fine. It was pulling the bench that was the pain and needed a bit of weight transfer with Cats help to get it moved in and out of the bus properly. Hey, It really came in handy not having the face of the piece stapled to the base as back in the beggining I had taken those pieces apart. The mounting lag bolts are more than enough to secure it to the base. You see I don't type swear words in my thread, but you can believe I put some out under my breath in real life a few times by the time the bench went back in. I just had to keep digging in deeper and had to take way more stuff out than I hoped to get the bottom part of that panel to clear.

One of the thin pieces that came in the original set that wasn't broken has been waiting to go in. I didn't want to put it in until after the wheel well piece, so I could built it off of that. I could see getting it set and the well piece panel not fitting by a millimeter or something. Using the OG piece to transfer the screw holes and again using water and my heat gun to get the last little bend sucked up tight.

So far so good. The evening twilight offered great filtered light and gave me a few of my favorite pictures of the project. For me, kind of encapsulates what having a Westy is all about.

Brian sends a picture he dubs "Precious Cargo". It seems he has had it in a monster cleaning tank and it's heading back to his shop for a final assembly. Same as this assortment of parts that have gone through a tremendous amount of cleaning and basically sanitized in preparation of the final assembly.

cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Nice work! I am busy doing a full renovation on my Westy,I too have bought all the interior panels and was advised to fit plastic sheeting after doing the dynamat and insulation and before fitting wooden panels.I think this will stop water vapour ruining your new inner panels,its known as a vapour barrier.

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:
Nice work! I am busy doing a full renovation on my Westy,I too have bought all the interior panels and was advised to fit plastic sheeting after doing the dynamat and insulation and before fitting wooden panels.I think this will stop water vapour ruining your new inner panels,its known as a vapour barrier.

Thanks! I can see wanting to add plastic sheeting to the area. I decided to opt not to on the interior panels. My thoughts are that my interior panels showed no internal water damage, just some condensation that ran the silk screened wooden print on the outside of the panel. The OG insulation was still intact so I believe that told me it wasn’t nessisary and maybe even trap moister if blocked off. We’ll see how it plays out. I didn’t disturb the insulation or add sound deadener, just going with how it came.

Logically, The front doors need a sheet to shoot Water that gets past the window felt, but the interior is pretty protected and not exposed the same way.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/DqcNKeEjXZ4

Brian sent this mind numbing video of the valve seats getting shaped. Apparently the porting is complete. The intakes seats have several (5?) angles cut on them. I said, I thought there was like one 45 degree cut. His reply was, we've learned that anything past 15 degrees creates an air disturbance so if you round a corner with several 15 degree angles the air whips around the corner smoother. He agrees that its a small improvement but if you do several 1% improvements they add up along the build.

The valves themselves get some treatment as well and are looking sweet. I thought I had a few pictures of them being installed with new guides along the way, but I can't locate them.

The case is getting built up for the last time. How exciting! Were really getting stoked and all the prep is paying off. It seems the bolt up part is going to go pretty quick now.

Brian sends a fun shot of the motor. He's been staying up late and I wake up to some neat pictures...

This one made us both happy. "Good Morning" was the caption. When we get around each other, usually two hours flies by just talking and I ghosted out these days because I don't want to distract him at this critical time.

He always agreed to allow me to help build up the engine with him from here. I want to know what's going on with it as I pilot the car. He says that's great, you can be the one to scratch your tin. Were making final preparations and a few quick orders like a dipstick boot, and filler neck tube we forgot or thought we had, but didn't. A night a week or so later is set for me to bring over all the other motor parts I've been prepping and start fitting them together.

In the meantime, he's setting the valve geometry. With the Heads bolted on he's checking the valve angle and making the proper adjustments and finding the pushrod lengths. New valve adjusters are installed.

Just for fun Cool
There is a Fiona sighting at Brian's and an in the dark exhaust adjustment. I realize there are likely going to be some things like this happen and chase as this motor goes live and breaks in, but I believe were onto something solid and a great base. Hopefully, something I can trust. It's already way exceeding my original expectations.

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Building up this long version story thread as clearly as I can has been fun the last several weeks. Lots of hunting in thumbnails and getting a little distracted here and there. I'm enjoying the process and neat for me to share the progress and relive the steps and everything I'm learning. Especially about this Type 4 motor Brian is building.

We made arrangements to work on the the motor together now that he has the core buttoned up. Both of us are slammed with day jobs and young families, so he and I both have to squeeze in time throughout the week to work on the bus, but mostly late at night and a bit on the weekends. It's are rare thing for us to line up a few hours of valuable project time together. There are boxes of refreshed motor parts that were formerly stacks on my basement floor that are now in my back seat and happily heading over to Brian's shop. Play time!

When I arrive he has been tinkering some and already has the pushrods and some other goodies installed.

I want to keep my chatter down because we both know our time can get eroded just bantering back and fourth. I try to listen more than talk, but I have so many questions and it's tough to control that. I also don't want to forget to photo document.

I'm also guilty of just taking pictures and letting them die in my phone and this whole experience is important enough to me to get chiseled out on a tablet here. This is foremost a documentation of the work performed on the bus and second, hopefully something interesting for a fellow Bus Nut to relate to.

Of note is this great distributor station Brian has. He said it's from a local high school shop class that he scored years ago it at a school auction. Although it takes up valuable shop space for the few times you need it, its bad to the bone when your looking to tune your distributor. Timing light built right into it. He gave me the rundown one day when we were timing my 65's engine and I felt like I was in shop class there for a moment myself! I'm sure my Type 4 distributor has seen the device or will whenever we need to.

I snap a few more shots when the core gets flipped.

I'm almost light headed standing next to it. I've been keeping Kevin updated as well and we're all really jazzed. I've been starting to allow myself to indulge in thoughts of driving her soon. I've been kind of walled off inside from thinking about it, but now its looking like a reality.

Textured intakes.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 33

Jump to: