Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cooling system issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: cooling system issues Reply with quote

i have a question how do you know if your water pump is working ? should there be a flow out of the thermostat housing breather if it is opened up? or the radiator bleeder when it is opened up? how long should a water pump last? any help is appreciated.
1990 vw automatic camper
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

If I squint hard, I can see the coolant moving through my bleeder ring. Or at least I think I remember that I can.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

Water pump failures usually manifest themselves as noise or leakage. It would be fairly uncommon for the pump to simply not pump.

If, once the engine is warmed up, you have heat up front - that generally means that the water pump is working and the thermostat is not stuck open.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

WBX water pumps usually dont fail at the impeller. They fail by leaking or the bearings rattling around.

Describe what exactly your problem is..you think you have no water pump circulation because overheating?

Do your heaters front and back work? If so..coolant must be circulating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

heaters front and back do not seem to work and when i felt the coolant pipes and hoses from radiator to pipes they were cold and i could squeeze them(this was after it had been running for 10 mins @ 1500 -2500 rpms). i changed the thermostat and put in a stock 87 deg C one which is new but i forgot to test in hot water before installing so i might have to pull it out and check. engine seems to run fine but gets hot if i drive it for awhile or i keep the rpms at 2500 for at least 10-15 mins. (it is cold outside here around 10-15 deg F during the daylight. so it takes awhile to heat up the engine especially when driving.

water pump was installed maybe 3-4 years ago. pump makes no noise but it may have made some a week or so ago and then quit. worked fine the day before but the next day over heated after about 4 miles of driving.
1990 vw automatic camper
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

Are you very sure you did a thorough job of bleeding the system? I usually gauge success here as getting as much coolant back in that came out when work started.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

Loosen the belt up and see if the pulley on the pump wiggles around at all. I agree with others that the impeller coming loose is very rare.

It would be almost normal for a brand new thermostat to fail. Crying or Very sad

If it is cold enough to freeze the coolant in the radiator, then overheating can occur very quickly.

With the pressure cap removed and the engine revved you should see a goodly flow of coolant through the pressure tank.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

thanks for all the input/advice! well the first time that i noticed this issue i am sure that the i had the system bled properly but after i replaced the thermostat it could have not been done . i dont see any flow in my expansion tank when engine is revved and nothing out of the bleeder on the top of the thermostat housing. when i first start the engine it seems if i remember correctly the expansion tank should show signs of pump moving coolant in the system and i dont see any lowering of level or inrush of coolant. if i pull the thermostat out and run the engine will that cause any problems or damage? i just want to see if the pump is doing its job.
1990 vw automatic camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
thanks for all the input/advice! well the first time that i noticed this issue i am sure that the i had the system bled properly but after i replaced the thermostat it could have not been done . i dont see any flow in my expansion tank when engine is revved and nothing out of the bleeder on the top of the thermostat housing. when i first start the engine it seems if i remember correctly the expansion tank should show signs of pump moving coolant in the system and i dont see any lowering of level or inrush of coolant. if i pull the thermostat out and run the engine will that cause any problems or damage? i just want to see if the pump is doing its job.

The thermostat is a bypass style thermostat, with it removed the radiator is pretty much out of the system and the engine will over heat.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

update: i changed the thermostat and bled the system via radiator bleeder and then let engine idle for around 10 mins and the temp gauge moved half way between the light and first line(cold) . i revved engine to 2500 rpm and then opened the bleeder and coolant began coming out. i checked front heater operation and it is now blowing warm air. so it looks like i had a bad thermostat and an air bubble in the system. next project the blinking coolant level sensor. then the idle control stabilizer. thanks for your comments they really helped in a really cold climate. really didnt want to pull the water pump in this weather outside. suppose to be below Zero F this next week so needed to make sure the coolant was at the correct concentration.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

i found this pic in another thread helped explain
system

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682404&highlight=water+pump+testing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 vw automatic camper
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

Open the bleeder and floor it for 10 seconds. Have fluid spraying all over kingdom come? If not then there's an issue. My heater was cold when I first installed it. (Didn't bleed anything). Punched it while holding the hoses to the front heater and felt warm water rush thru w/in 5 seconds. Prob less.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

this is an interesting issue seem i have not fixed the problem. when it gets cold below 0 to 15 deg F the engine starts runs but heater dosent blow hot air even after 10 mins of running at idle and revving to 2000-3000 rpm intermittently . the engine temp gauge gets to around the middle of the led and the expansion tank starts releasing coolant to overflow tank and overflow tank fills and starts leaking through cap.

things i have done

test thermostat out of system (works ok tested in hot water and ir gauge)
installed a new 87 deg C thernostat
replaced temp sensor
bled radiator/system of air
made sure coolant has correct antifreeze amount ( specific gravity test)

has anyone had a problem with thermostat housing restricting thermostat movement when it is very cold outside?
1990 vw automatic camper
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

what fan speed are you on when trying to get heat while stopped? "1" or "2" is the max, higher than that you pull more cool air than the heater core can warm up.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
this is an interesting issue seem i have not fixed the problem. when it gets cold below 0 to 15 deg F the engine starts runs but heater dosent blow hot air even after 10 mins of running at idle and revving to 2000-3000 rpm intermittently . the engine temp gauge gets to around the middle of the led and the expansion tank starts releasing coolant to overflow tank and overflow tank fills and starts leaking through cap.

things i have done

replaced temp sensor

has anyone had a problem with thermostat housing restricting thermostat movement when it is very cold outside?

Sounds like a compression leak to me, likely time to pop the heads off and see what is going on.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
what fan speed are you on when trying to get heat while stopped? "1" or "2" is the max, higher than that you pull more cool air than the heater core can warm up.

-dan

i have been on 3 with heater fan, but since i read some other threads about front heaters capacity i have been using 2. what is strange is when outside temp gets higher than 20 deg F everything works ok.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
pushkick wrote:

things i have done

replaced temp sensor

Sounds like a compression leak to me, likely time to pop the heads off and see what is going on.

thanks for the idea! could an air bubble cause this problem? or maybe some ice around thermostat. when i changed out the thermostat the coolant was a little slushy around thermostat. and there is a small burp of coolant the leaks out of the gauge temp sensor when engine starts up ( it spits maybe once or twice sometimes)and then stops. again only when its really cold.
engine is really hard to crank when outside temp is 5 deg F and below. i have to try multiple times just to get the starter to turn engine over to start. the thing about the compression is i dont see any bubbles in the coolant tank when the engine is running at idle or 2000-3000rpm. i guess i could do a compression /leak down test to see what is going on before i pull heads. i guess i should do the test when the engine has heated up to where the coolant is having a problem so i can see which cylinder is causing the issue. i guess i should look at the oil and see if there is any trace of coolant in the oil.
1990 vw automatic camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

A compression leak will leave you with air in the system no matter how many time you bleed it. If you are getting leakage around the sensor then chance out the o-ring, they get hard with age and stiffen that much more with cold. You shouldn't be seeing any slush in the coolant, if you are then up the percentage of antifreeze. Also go with a motor oil at least as thin as a 5w30 or 5w40 oil. Going to a 0w30 or 0w40 would be okay as well.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

thanks for all the input i think i finally figured out what was going on. there was some air in system and the coolant was a little weak which caused the slushy coolant and caused the thermostat to stick. when i took the thermostat out and tested it worked fine. i added a little more antifreeze and ordered a new o ring for the temperature gauge sensor. seems to have fixed the issue.
1990 vw automatic camper
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system issues Reply with quote

Quote:
how do you know if your water pump is working ?

- start the engine, let it idle, open the blue cap at the main coolant tank, rev the engine, the coolant level should go down if the water pump is working...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: