Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rag top issue, whats wrong?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

I saw a bug in the classifieds section, and have a question about it. I'm just curious.

This bug has a new rag top, but it is not laying flat/tight. What would cause something like that to happen? If you had to guess

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2106322
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
This bug has a new rag top, but it is not laying flat/tight.

Probably just an ill-fitting cover, or not having it set up properly. To help take out the slack, the cover's rear mounting plate is set in slots to provide some adjustment. I'd be sure to check if that rag is OEM or a graft.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:
This bug has a new rag top, but it is not laying flat/tight.

Probably just an ill-fitting cover, or not having it set up properly. To help take out the slack, the cover's rear mounting plate is set in slots to provide some adjustment. I'd be sure to check if that rag is OEM or a graft.

There's that word graft again. What does that mean?

How can you tell if it is or not, just by looking at it?

Last edited by crankbait09 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

A grafted rag top is one where it’s been taken from an actual factory ragtop and put onto another car. Depends on how well it’s been done on whether it able to be identified as a graft or not.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
How can you tell if it is or not, just by looking at it?
It can be hard to tell just by looking as there are different ways of grafting in a ragtop. You can find tell-tale evidence of one of the more common methods by pulling down the edge of the fixed headliner where it meets the back of the sliding one. You should then be able to see or feel a weld seam on the inside of the roof, running side-to-side, somewhere between the rear window and the ragtop.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

The one good thing going for it- it has a '63 only handle. This is often the quickest way to spot a grafted roof on a '63. So, this may be the real deal. It's clearly just an amateur install job without a steamer- plus the mentioned adjustments. Read up on '63 ragtop improvements too.

I think this car will hit the whines pretty quick. It has way more issues than just the sunroof.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

Care to touch on some of those whines?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

It’s actually been listed for sale for several months so probably won’t make the whines unless someone now adds it. Most of the whines usually revolve around non OG paint colors, year incorrect interiors, shaved turn signals, etc. Personally, just based on the pics I don’t think it’s a horrendous price if in fact it’s truly a rust free car. It not being “correct” doesn’t bother me. I’d lower that sucker with spindles and a beam with wide whites and roll it loud and proud. Pretty car.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

the color(s) are what jumped out at me first and foremost. followed by that rag not being tight. Which led me to post this about it.

I'm all for going to check it out, but I certainly don't want to waste the sellers time if things can be noticed up front. But the rust issue does raise concern. But that can only be seen by going in person to look it over.

There's gotta be something that has stopped it from selling.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

I think it’s several factors. Bent these days is towards “OG”. VW buyers are cheap. Everyone wants to pay $5000 for a car with a $10k paint job. Everyone thinks they are a deal maker. People want $200 barn finds. It’s winter. VW people are cheap. I had actually considered this car but distance and not being able to see it in person put me out. I ended up buying a car from a member here that sent me nearly 100 pictures of just about every angle you could imagine. I actually paid more than this, but I’m not a tightwad.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I think it’s several factors. Bent these days is towards “OG”. VW buyers are cheap. Everyone wants to pay $5000 for a car with a $10k paint job. Everyone thinks they are a deal maker. People want $200 barn finds. It’s winter. VW people are cheap. I had actually considered this car but distance and not being able to see it in person put me out. I ended up buying a car from a member here that sent me nearly 100 pictures of just about every angle you could imagine. I actually paid more than this, but I’m not a tightwad.

Haha, this is funny. I know how cheap people get at the swapmeets...lowball the shit out of you, omg, you'd think they're spending their last dollar.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Haha, this is funny. I know how cheap people get at the swapmeets...lowball the shit out of you, omg, you'd think they're spending their last dollar.

Yup. I've sat there and listened to people haggle over a buck in the blazing sun for like 5 minutes. Seriously bro, smoke one less Basic today and call it even.

These are hobby cars and starting to get the respect they deserve. Prices are going up and will probably continue to do so. Its not 1985 anymore where you can pick up rust free ragtops for $3k.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:

I listen to that as I am going through the buckets of miscellaneous small parts, looking for 36 hp and screw on connected electrical bits, and when I am holding the bit I have searched for and the guy says, 2$? I fork it over.
I've also picked up a part some schmuck was lowballing, and standing in front of while not getting anywhere with the seller, and just hand the seller what was asked in the first place. The reaction is always worth the price of admission.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: rag top issue, whats wrong? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

I listen to that as I am going through the buckets of miscellaneous small parts, looking for 36 hp and screw on connected electrical bits, and when I am holding the bit I have searched for and the guy says, 2$? I fork it over.
I've also picked up a part some schmuck was lowballing, and standing in front of while not getting anywhere with the seller, and just hand the seller what was asked in the first place. The reaction is always worth the price of admission.

...and the follow up with a very vocal "thanks for the great deal!!" One of my signature swap moves too. Cool

crankbait- that car was "restored" by a non-VW person or at least a person without regard for correctness. It's a freestyle resto with too high a price for what a VW enthusiast will want to quickly correct.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: