Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires? Stock suspension setup.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down 2 inner splines on 185X60 & 1 inner spline on 205X70 gives decent clearance & 1" forward rake @ stainless molding.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

Think so I've been trying to figure this out, as the first step to getting my square back on the road and I need some help.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I have a mish-mash of wheels on my square, of the 4.5 and 5.5 in wheels. I'm going to try and get a full set of the 5.5in stock wheels, I think I have a set of 4.5 because I bought 2 NOS ones by mistake.

the type of tire I want is an all terrain or mud-terrain/offroad style tire. I am having no luck finding anything that will fit our stock wheels.

2 questions:
1) can I run the 4 4.5in safely provided I use the right tires?

2)what is the biggest size tire I can install on the stock 4.5 and 5.5 in wheels without rubbing that a tire shop will actually do? I've seen sizes ranging from 195 to 225 but that seems REALLY wide compared to the 4.5 wheel, I doubt a shop will even mount them for me...

anyone have any suggestions? I have found these but have no idea if they would actually fit:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mp;SID=431

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mp;SID=631
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Think so I've been trying to figure this out, as the first step to getting my square back on the road and I need some help.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I have a mish-mash of wheels on my square, of the 4.5 and 5.5 in wheels. I'm going to try and get a full set of the 5.5in stock wheels, I think I have a set of 4.5 because I bought 2 NOS ones by mistake.

the type of tire I want is an all terrain or mud-terrain/offroad style tire. I am having no luck finding anything that will fit our stock wheels.

2 questions:
1) can I run the 4 4.5in safely provided I use the right tires?

2)what is the biggest size tire I can install on the stock 4.5 and 5.5 in wheels without rubbing that a tire shop will actually do? I've seen sizes ranging from 195 to 225 but that seems REALLY wide compared to the 4.5 wheel, I doubt a shop will even mount them for me...

anyone have any suggestions? I have found these but have no idea if they would actually fit:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mp;SID=631

Joe, I think your 75 tire wall size is going to be too tall for running a 2 series tire (205-215). I use the Miata tire size checker for trying to find a comparable/compatible tire when I go looking for something different to run on a car/truck. I do that to get an idea of how close/far off the speedo will be. Here's a link to it;
https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
I've found that a 185 is about as wide as you can fit on the stock 4.5 inch rim. A good size being 185-70-15. It's because of the rim limiting your width. Stepping up to a 5.5 inch rim (like CIP sells) would allow you to go up to a 205 series tire. Ideally you want a 6 to 7 inch wide rim for a 215 to 225 sized tire. Although you might squeeze a 215 on the 5.5 inch rim (you'd have to try it 1st).
If you're after an "off road" look, you might also want to look at winter tires. I just got some General Altima Arctic 215-60-15's for my 99 Accord, and those things look like off road tires. Shocked They're also within .1% of the stock 195-65-15's the car came with. The pics on Tire Rack's web site don't do justice to how aggressive they are. Twisted Evil
In your case, if you were using a 5.5 inch rim, you could go with 205-65-15's in the rear (it'll keep the trans/engine gearing/speed similar to stock so you're not over working things) without having to raise the rear, and maybe something similar up front (keep in mind you might need to raise it a spline to clear the outer lip). Those do look to be a very common sized tire.
If you're not worried about keeping the speedo close, or are willing to rev the motor in the lower gears, then go ahead with a 215-75-15 tire.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! Cool that actually does help - looks like it cements my plan to either find a full set of 5.5in or possibly even ditch the stock wheels entirely and run adapters to open up wheel size options.

As far as adjusting the suspension, thats in the cards too - I think with the larger tires (and maybe wheels) I'd want to raise the ride height a click. Not too much- if anything I don't want it to be noticeable, just scaled correctly.

the overall plan is to make it as bone stock/clean as I can, with a few hints here and there of oz/rally accessories. I want to find some headlight screen guards, I'm gonna weld up some small side steps, mud flaps, etc.

but the tires are probably the biggest part of the plan. I really wish I could find some super beetle "sunbug" rims, I think they were 5.5 or even 6in stock width wheels and didnt have hubcaps, just center cap. everything is far away though and shipping is more than the farking wheels. Rolling Eyes
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Thanks Bob! Cool that actually does help - looks like it cements my plan to either find a full set of 5.5in or possibly even ditch the stock wheels entirely and run adapters to open up wheel size options.

As far as adjusting the suspension, thats in the cards too - I think with the larger tires (and maybe wheels) I'd want to raise the ride height a click. Not too much- if anything I don't want it to be noticeable, just scaled correctly.

the overall plan is to make it as bone stock/clean as I can, with a few hints here and there of oz/rally accessories. I want to find some headlight screen guards, I'm gonna weld up some small side steps, mud flaps, etc.

but the tires are probably the biggest part of the plan. I really wish I could find some super beetle "sunbug" rims, I think they were 5.5 or even 6in stock width wheels and didnt have hubcaps, just center cap. everything is far away though and shipping is more than the farking wheels. Rolling Eyes

I hear you, it's almost enough to make you get out of VW's. But, it's not just VW's that are expensive. I'm currently looking for some 15 inch rims for a Chevy Vega Cosworth, and all of them that I like are located in California. Then to add to the mix, most of the rims are 4-100 pattern, while the Cosworth uses a 4-101.6 pattern with 7/16ths studs. Rolling Eyes

Yes, a different set of rims (and bolt patterns) can open up rim choices. If you look around, there are some nice Honda rim choices with similar backspacing (Think 98-02 Accord if you want steel rims, as they are 15x6, with a 114.3 bolt pattern and are ET45). E-bay or even Tire Rack, or Discount offer all sorts of aluminum rims in various bolt patterns and sizes. It'll just be a matter of finding something you like. Then, you can get your rotors and drum assemblies drilled for that pattern (add in some pressed in studs too Wink ).
Note; I would have suggested looking for some Toyota rims, but a good percentage of them use the more common Honda pattern. And being on the west coast, Honda rims (especially stock steel ones) should be easier to find. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

Dragging this back up to see if/how people have run 15x5 4x130 sprintstars on their T3s.

I was planning on getting these wheels with 165 front & 185 rear tires and lowering the car 2 splines in front and 1 spline in the rear (or more).
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
I really wish I could find some super beetle "sunbug" rims, I think they were 5.5 or even 6in stock width wheels and didnt have hubcaps, just center cap. everything is far away though and shipping is more than the farking wheels. Rolling Eyes

Do you mean like these? (borrowed this pic from the gallery)

I have some that will be going up for sale soon, and you aren't that far away.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Dragging this back up to see if/how people have run 15x5 4x130 sprintstars on their T3s.

I was planning on getting these wheels with 165 front & 185 rear tires and lowering the car 2 splines in front and 1 spline in the rear (or more).

Im in the same boat now.
Im running the 15x5 sprintstars.
i Want my car only slightly lowered. More of a leveling really.
Tire size is the battle for me now.
So many option, my head is spinning
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

My 64' is lowered in the front 1 spline... in the back .... I'm not sure.. we adjusted to be in line with the front...

5.5 sprintstar offset 34 with 175/65/15 and 185/65/15

This is really max what would fit for my car.. with full tank + spare wheel in the trunk... sometimes slightly rubbing on the front fenders...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

^^^^
Perfect! I like the low but not too low stance and i was thinking about that tire combo. Thanks for the pics! it helped a lot!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: