Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casted kdf oil pump covers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Hi,

I searched samba but couldn't find an answer. I was asking myself which oil pump cover is correct for my 1946 engine? There were several versions with different part numbers and I have no clue when each one was used.
Maybe we can collect pictures of every version to help other people building their kdf and late 40's engines periodically correct?
I'm assuming the cover without the cogwheel is supposed to be correct for post war engines?

Thanks,
Jan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

I too am interested in the answer to this question. Looking in Progressive Refinements it seems that the cast version was discontinued at Motor Number 123 148 but that was to change from cast 'Light Metal' presumably an aluminium alloy to pressed steel.

I assume from the OPs pictures the one with a cogwheel logo is cast iron so the answer is still sought.

When did they change from cast iron to cast alloy and were there any other versions?

P-R page...

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the pic!
Didn't know before of an oil pump cover made of aluminium and never saw it...anyone with pictures?
The version with cogwheel is cast iron and the (probably) newer version I also photographed is cast iron too.

I think I saw your bug in HO, what a great car! When you bought the car, did it came with an oil pump cover?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Maybe you did see the car at HO17, it was there on Saturday with no hub-caps and horrid UK reflective registration plates {KLL 216}. By Sunday I had purchased repro hub-caps and fitted them albeit still in primer. Now back in the UK it has them painted black to match the car and the registration plates are now period style and colour.

It was many years ago that I began the restoration and completed the engine re-build mostly with new parts as required. However the oil pump cover plate was a pressed steel one, it must have been changed by a previous owner as it was obvious that the engine had worked very hard during its life and had much work done to it in the past. The actual engine that came with the car is a 1947 number 1-091175 I believe the original may have been 1-089608. It is obvious from the engine tin covers and push-rod tubes that much of the original (or similar) were retained to use on the slightly later unit.

Obtaining the correct pump cover plate is just one of the small things that are needed for originality.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Just looked through my pics and I found out, I made pics of your car without and with the primered hub caps.

Yeah I thought this topic could help other people out as well. But I think especially in the early years after the ear, they took what they could find. My 46 engine also came with the pressed sttel cover and the later cylinder tins- similar as yours.

What's about the guys claiming to have a 100% correct and very low mileage engine? Maybe they want to help us? Very Happy
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

At the first early pre 1943 KdF cars had aluminum cover, then it changed to cast iron for 1-2 years, and the most probably soon after the war it changed back aluminum. Also other alloys were used, I have seen pictures of dark alloy covers.
New projects
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Thanks Mika!!!
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Original oil pump cover on my 1947 engine case

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic! I saw your pictures in the gallery of this aweseome engine and was asking myself about your pump cover before creating this topic. I guess it's definitely one of the most original engines.
Hard to tell from the pic, was the pump cover made of alumium or painted in silver?
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Another design, perhaps reproduction?

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Here's another one similar to FISHYNOS72. I don't think it's repro. since it too appears to be made out of magnesium. This one was chem. treated
and was included in a box with parts I received to build an 1100cc / 1951 Porsche 2pc. 356 engine in whereas the block was aluminum.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Casted kdf oil pump covers Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Joe, love seeing your work.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: