Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and thought that I would get started on a build thread for a car that I just bought for a school project, yep you heard me right. Ps: yet to make the 3-hour drive to get the car!

What we have is a 1971 Sopru Camper converted kombi, the frame and body are fairly straight with rust on the front lower door sills and around windscreen...
(So far)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So being the inexperienced student I am, I was wondering what you experts think that I should go over first before I try and fire her up for the first time.

This thread will be used to document everything I do to make this car driving again as a mental backup, as well as a good way for me to find out what I'm doing!
Since I have limited mechanical knowledge and resources besides at school this will be slow going, however, I will be sure to update it whenever I do any maintenance or repairs. All help will be much appreciated!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

I would read through other restoration threads. Here is a pretty comprehensive list with links: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537187

I would suggest reading through this thread too, it's probably the best one I've seen to date: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545030&highlight=funky+truck

That will give you a good idea of what you're dealing with and the older repair approaches (much better than new approaches when dealing with these old steel bodies). Once you are done reading some of those and have an idea of what you're into, you'll be much more equipped to ask good questions, and pose them well so we can all help you out in a timely manner. WELCOME!

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

69-71 NEWBIE

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

nice. looks very similar to the penthouse tops that came on sportsmobiles and a handful of other conversions here in the US. It appears you have a scissor lift in the rear as well as the sides. (looking at Soprus online) It also reads as if the company is still operational. I wonder if they still make the canvas for the upper, and if the have awnings for the side like some of the pics? hmmmm..... shipping would prob hurt pretty bad for us over here.
enjoy the trip!
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I would read through other restoration threads. Here is a pretty comprehensive list with links: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537187

I would suggest reading through this thread too, it's probably the best one I've seen to date: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545030&highlight=funky+truck

That will give you a good idea of what you're dealing with and the older repair approaches (much better than new approaches when dealing with these old steel bodies). Once you are done reading some of those and have an idea of what you're into, you'll be much more equipped to ask good questions, and pose them well so we can all help you out in a timely manner. WELCOME!

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

69-71 NEWBIE

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Thank you for that information!

I have had a look through some of the links and I have found out that there are a lot more things to look out for when I eventually get to everything!
My Dad and one of his mates are going to pick up the car on Monday, so I should have some more photos that can better detail what I have gotten myself into!

Will post more as soon as I can!
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
nice. looks very similar to the penthouse tops that came on sportsmobiles and a handful of other conversions here in the US. It appears you have a scissor lift in the rear as well as the sides. (looking at Soprus online) It also reads as if the company is still operational. I wonder if they still make the canvas for the upper, and if the have awnings for the side like some of the pics? hmmmm..... shipping would prob hurt pretty bad for us over here.
enjoy the trip!

Yes, the pop top style is very odd and probably one of the uglier shapes (In my opinion)

But that said from my knowledge it is quite a rare Sopru camper (I believe they also built camper tops for VW Australia under another name).

I will have to look into the company and ask around to see if they still make the canvas however that is some way down the line from now. I'll be sure to check the top and canvas in the unlikely case that it is still functioning and un-torn. Will post soon!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

1971 is my favorite year bus. I’ve owned 3.

Time takes its toll and buses hate to be parked. Here’s a quick list of things to do.

1) drain the fuel tank. Remove the finger strainer from the tank outlet and replace it. Flush the tank with fresh gas while the strainer it out but be sure to disconnect the battery first.
2) change the brake fluid by bleeding the system
3) check the power brake booster vacuum line. If it’s old, replace it.
4) check all your fuel lines and replace if necessary. Install a new filter near the tank outlet instead if inside the engine bay.
5) change the engine oil and clean the screen. Inspect it for metal.
6) check the tires. Check the date code and replace if old. Be sure to install light truck tires if you replace them. Hankook RA18 are good
7) lube the front beam. There are five ports for grease
Cool lube all door locks and hinges.
9) check operation of the sliding door. If it isn’t smooth ask for help.
10) raise the front and spin the wheels. Listen to the bearings. Grab the tires at 6 and 12 and wiggle them. There shouldn’t be much play. If so adjust front bearing pre-load.
11) drainand replace the transmission gear oil. Inspect the shift couple in the back as well as the front shift rod bushing for wear. Best to clean and lubricate as required
12) adjust clutch pedal so it has roughly 3/4 inch of free play
13) do a light check with the help of a buddy.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
1971 is my favorite year bus. I’ve owned 3.

Time takes its toll and buses hate to be parked. Here’s a quick list of things to do.

1) drain the fuel tank. Remove the finger strainer from the tank outlet and replace it. Flush the tank with fresh gas while the strainer it out but be sure to disconnect the battery first.
2) change the brake fluid by bleeding the system
3) check the power brake booster vacuum line. If it’s old, replace it.
4) check all your fuel lines and replace if necessary. Install a new filter near the tank outlet instead if inside the engine bay.
5) change the engine oil and clean the screen. Inspect it for metal.
6) check the tires. Check the date code and replace if old. Be sure to install light truck tires if you replace them. Hankook RA18 are good
7) lube the front beam. There are five ports for grease
Cool lube all door locks and hinges.
9) check operation of the sliding door. If it isn’t smooth ask for help.
10) raise the front and spin the wheels. Listen to the bearings. Grab the tires at 6 and 12 and wiggle them. There shouldn’t be much play. If so adjust front bearing pre-load.
11) drainand replace the transmission gear oil. Inspect the shift couple in the back as well as the front shift rod bushing for wear. Best to clean and lubricate as required
12) adjust clutch pedal so it has roughly 3/4 inch of free play
13) do a light check with the help of a buddy.

Thankyou for that insight! I'll be sure to check all of those things as soon as I get in on the ground with tyres that hold air! Most urgent thing I need to find is the brake reservoir as mine has cracked free from its mounting position and has caused all the brakes to seize in the process (as we believe)
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Update on the build:

Today my dad and one of his friends drove up to Adelaide to collect the vehicle, with a little persuasion from a fork lift they were able to get it on the trailer... 3 shredded tyres and the rear brakes being seized didn't make it an easy task!

To get it off my dad had a tow strap around the rear gram of the kombi and tied off onto the back of his Utes towball, my friend (who is currently graciously letting me store this kombi at his house) got his grandfather around in his almighty diesel volvo... between my dads hilux and the mighty Volvo it took about 15 minutes to get the car off (without including the hour beforehand arguing about how to do it best)

Once we had it off the trailer and in position to keep clear of any cars wanting to get past into the workshop, we started to clear out all of the rubbish and decree in the car, I was pleasantly surprised as I found that it had the original bed for the pop top and a "Z Bed" style rear seat which I found quite amazing. Once it was completely cleared out we cleared out all of the rust with a leaf blower, nearly gassed ourselves in the process but we live and learn.

Now to what I believed would be the hardest and most excruciating piece of the puzzle, the Pop top canvas, since it had been sitting for a long time I was more than prepared for the canvas to be completely missing let alone in tact anywhere. Much to my amazement and my friends, it was in near mint condition minus a few pin holes which could be patched up easy enough.

The trouble areas for now are the sliding door (Left Hand Side) which doesn't want to open and I can't figure out why but I'll look into causes and fixes. Right hand front door (completely rotted door skin), left hand front door sill and the underside of the face, the floors are some of the most solid I've seen for a 47 year old car that's lived in SA... I'll post more in depth photos of the rust next chance I have time, if anyone could give me info on whether or not the sliding door problem is major or minor that would be terrific! I'll leave some photos for you to gawk at until next time!

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

I like it!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Looks fairly solid. Start with cleaning the crap out of all of it! Check out WildIdea's thread for inspiration. As for the sliding door, try giving it help from the back side (from the inside, with a guy on the outside). If it is just stuck from not being used, that should get it moving. But there are myriad of things that could be causing the sliding door from not working. Luckily non of them are super expensive, just time consuming.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Looks fairly solid. Start with cleaning the crap out of all of it! Check out WildIdea's thread for inspiration. As for the sliding door, try giving it help from the back side (from the inside, with a guy on the outside). If it is just stuck from not being used, that should get it moving. But there are myriad of things that could be causing the sliding door from not working. Luckily non of them are super expensive, just time consuming.

I've cleaned out all the crap that was inside of it and have set it all out on the ground, the floors are near mint other than the spare tyre well. (Even the battery tray looks mint) I'll try what you said on the door tonight when I'm around the bus again. I'll have a look at his thread when I get some time between homework and fixing the door.

On another note, does anyone know how the ignition works, because we have our key missing and I wanna know how difficult it would be to replace the key or have one made, or do I need a whole new ignition barrel?
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Sweet! Looks like the frame is in great shape. Now I want a roo bar too Very Happy
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:
Sweet! Looks like the frame is in great shape. Now I want a roo bar too Very Happy

If you wanted to pay for shipping you could probably have it! Laughing

Any info on barrels/missing keys would be useful, don't want to replace all the locks on the thing and was wondering if I could get a key cutter to cut a new key or if I do have to replace all of them.

I'll soon be able to check the engine and running gear, Oddly has front discs so it might've had a later bus front end put on??

My next goal is to get it rolling! Unsure if I should get cheap tyres or if I should spend a bit for the long run (will probably still only be rolling for the next 3 months at least.)

Any input on these problems would be much appreciated!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Check this for key codes ,and check out the tech tips in the stickys https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5885548#5885548
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

WilliamOfReeds wrote:
dumptuck wrote:

Any info on barrels/missing keys would be useful, don't want to replace all the locks on the thing and was wondering if I could get a key cutter to cut a new key or if I do have to replace all of them.

I'll soon be able to check the engine and running gear, Oddly has front discs so it might've had a later bus front end put on??

My next goal is to get it rolling! Unsure if I should get cheap tyres or if I should spend a bit for the long run (will probably still only be rolling for the
next 3 months at least.)

I wonder how much shipping might be...

The '71's were actually the first year to have front disc brakes, and the last year to have the early upright engine. Some say the best year, and I would agree with them Very Happy
I am also in the market for new tires, I'd be interested in what you pick

Also, are those mesh headlight covers I see? Seems like it has all the cool options...
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:
WilliamOfReeds wrote:
dumptuck wrote:

My next goal is to get it rolling! Unsure if I should get cheap tyres or if I should spend a bit for the long run (will probably still only be rolling for the
next 3 months at least.)

I wonder how much shipping might be...

The '71's were actually the first year to have front disc brakes, and the last year to have the early upright engine. Some say the best year, and I would agree with them Very Happy
I am also in the market for new tires, I'd be interested in what you pick

Also, are those mesh headlight covers I see? Seems like it has all the cool options...

Yes sir! I certainly agree about it being the "best year" I wouldn't have bought the thing if it were a 72... those god awful tail lights will be the death of me, the mesh headlight covers would have been a dealership option as well as it has a dealership sun visor and windscreen stone guard.... the obscure pieces that this bus came with is amazing and I'm yet to share them all because I'm still managing my school work and this will probably go on the back burner as a weekend job. It even has the original bed (or at least pieces of it)

It's being stored at my friends house who's father also happens to be a Vdub man! For now I think my job is going to be looking for rust repair panels (that aren't gonna cost me my kidney) and someone local who can get keys cut for the damn thing.

I found the Vin plate today (I wasn't ever very good with my eyes) and from all of the diagrams/decoders I think the Australian one is different... possibly because it's been kitted out to be a camper?? Or maybe I'm just a young fool!

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

As a poptop owner I can say that I have canvas envy. It is rare to buy an old one that is not in tatters. You just saved 400 you can now spend on something else (for the bus!)
edit- lots of bus forks are nuts for camper conversions, and stock is always fun to run. It looks like all of the Soprus came with the roo bar, so I think you should keep it with OG pride.
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
As a poptop owner I can say that I have canvas envy. It is rare to buy an old one that is not in tatters. You just saved 400 you can now spend on something else (for the bus!)
edit- lots of bus forks are nuts for camper conversions, and stock is always fun to run. It looks like all of the Soprus came with the roo bar, so I think you should keep it with OG pride.

I plan to eventually get the canvas redone (not anytime soon) but for now the roo bar stays! Once I get the thing back on the road and to the spec that I'm happy with it'll come off and sit in the shed (until I drive the thing around Australia!) I'm worried that the fibreglass on the top is warped and will be hard to fix which also shouldn't be too bad as the residence where it's currently placed, is a fibreglasser! I'm trying to stick to the OG theme as much as possible and I'll avoid reprinting the thing if I can get away with it!

Last edited by WilliamOfReeds on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

ew. Shocked I changed my mind. I think you should burn it to the ground. Laughing
edit-I said this because OP posted a questionable man pose picture of him in the bus. it is burned into my brain. looks to be gone now.

Last edited by alman72 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
WilliamOfReeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Kombi Sopru Camper Reply with quote

Hahaha, all it needs is a little clean and it will come out perfect!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: