Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Class 11 Coalition Website Status
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzaga13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

I'm am wondering if anybody knows the status of the Class 11 Coalition forum (http://class11coalition.com/forum).

I have made several attempts to create an account, however, I never receive the "activation email". I have tried with two different email addresses I have with the same result, no activation email.

Unfortunately, you need an account to inquire on that forum so that is why I am posting here, I figured there would be some overlap of members and knowledge.

Is that site still active? Am I doing something wrong? Am I the first to experience this issue?

Any help would be appreciated
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

IMO it is a good site and I picked up a lot of info there before our first race. It was very useful before and during and after the race.

But, it seems to have died of significantly since after 2013 or so. I MAY have read here that Class 11 entrants were very low around then. I pickup some good additional info here. But C11co was more racing and race specific.

I can't say if you're doing the activation right or not.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

Just a thought here: Could Samba maybe "obtain" that site/membership and run it out of here? It is VW specific.

- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

Most that were on that site are using FB now under Class11 junkies, King Dave and all the current racers are using FB. The problem is that it is hard to get enough specifics on C11 builds or any other build for that matter off FB. I am usually talking with Code or Record racers about C11 or 5/1600 because some also race SCORE. FB seems to be more about stateside races for C11 or 5/1600. Without a website documenting new builds it becomes difficult for new builders to get accurate info. Just a few builds going on except in Baja maybe and then just because of Code and Record.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Most that were on that site are using FB now under Class11 junkies, King Dave and all the current racers are using FB. The problem is that it is hard to get enough specifics on C11 builds or any other build for that matter off FB. I am usually talking with Code or Record racers about C11 or 5/1600 because some also race SCORE. FB seems to be more about stateside races for C11 or 5/1600. Without a website documenting new builds it becomes difficult for new builders to get accurate info. Just a few builds going on except in Baja maybe and then just because of Code and Record.

Dave was really helpful with info as were some of the other guys on the Coalition. I originally came from SCCA road racing and info was really hard to come at times. So their openness was a bit of a surprise. I was looking for a similar site for the Class 5/1600 specifically but never really found one. I would like to do C5/1600 eventually.

I’m not really a fan of FB so I only go on for work related things.

I ran with SNORE, but was looking at CODE, MORE, SADR and a couple groups that were trying to setup here in AZ. Did C11 take an attendance dive around 2012 or so?

- ArtSpeed Graphics

S. McQueen
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

Class 11 guys stick together pretty tight and it has been that way from the very beginning. I started in Class11 when Mickey Thompson started the class and had Dave Beeson build him 3 C11's. When Mickeys were done we started building Hank Roeds C11 in the same spot. Our build is shown in VW Greats June 1976 when 4 of us started our team. We had podiums in Score in that car at Riverside and the Parker race but we had raced once against King Dave and his dad when he was a teenager. I think they were cheating because he only weighed 90lbs lol. We like so many others in 76/77 turned the 11 car into a 5/1600 and went on to race in that class. King Dave went on in C11, 5/1600, 1600, and established his Dynasty Lol. I still have the car to this day that we built.

C11 has been struggling in numbers for decades except maybe in Mexico but I only compare that to the years we raced against 30+ cars, early years it was even more. There has been a little resurgence as of lately and I hope it can continue to at least not fade away, but as rule changes keep getting away from it as a stock class I think it will blend if it hasn't already into a 5/1600 class with a full body on it. That was not the intent of Mickey and was the very reason he kept it separate from the Baja classes. It needs to stay stock and rough and tumble as it was intended and not be melded into some kind of C5. I know my position is not popular but it is the point of it being a tough class to finish a race in that is the essence of the class itself.

If you really want to see a Modern 5/1600 build please go to GonzoRacing.net. Mark Anderson has done a perfect website on his and Trevors build of their winning 5/1600. I know Mark and they don't come any better in documenting, help, and knowledge of what it takes to build a winning car. He is an example of how close us limited class builder/drivers are. I doubt you would ever find such a well documented build. Mark only raced SCORE in Baja so it reflects those rules when Art was the Tech Director.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

One thing that Art struggled against as SCORE Tech Director in his last year before he passed away was rule changes for Clacss 11. Art was trying to keep it a stock class as much as possible. But there was a racer who complained to Roger Norman that with the rules the way they were Class 11s would never be able to finish in time. So Roger pushed through rules to allow more modification to Class 11 suspensions that will make the class more expensive to race in.

Class 11 cars were not getting slower. There used to be quite a few Class 11 cars that finished a Baja 1000 in time. But the courses are getting much rougher lately and the Trophy Trucks and Class 1s are tearing the courses up far more than in the past. For example, the 1st Mexican 1000 was won overall by a Meyers Manx with stock VW swingaxle suspension in 27 hours and 38 minutes. Any Class 11 now has much better suspension. And 5-1600s far better. But Art Savedra's own 5-1600 Baja finished this last 1000 in 2nd place in class at 38 hours and change. That does NOT seem like an improvement in the course. But Trophy Trucks don't race on a course that's nearly as rough as what the Class 11 racers see.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

Arts 5/1600 was absolutely a well-run race I enjoyed watching it, I think that class did a whole lot better than C5 and in fact at one point I thought the 1st place 5/1600 was catching the lead C5. C11 had finishes even within the time spot so maybe in their minds the rule changes were the reason. Maybe if they can just keep the class rules where they are.

I know about the conversation with Norman because I had several PM's with the same person about it because of my concern to stop it before it got worse but of course that wasn't going to happen. He was forthright with me and respectful which I appreciated but I felt that even with the course condition it was not about the ability but more about the time limit which Norman was pretty tough on. Even with liberal new rules C11 is not going to be easy to finish when compared to all the other classes by a long shot. It’s always going to be a struggle to carry them across the line in time. The teams need to keep a perspective about why they are racing that class and awards should be given to whoever breaks closest to the finish if no one does.
I wish Norman would just let Vintage and C11 run a day in advance surely SCORE entry fees could swing some support but that’s never going to happen either no money to be made. Like has been suggested to have a C11 page here would be great the problem is most of the heavy hitters won't come on Samba.

VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

Gonzaga13 wrote:
I'm am wondering if anybody knows the status of the Class 11 Coalition forum (http://class11coalition.com/forum).

I have made several attempts to create an account, however, I never receive the "activation email". I have tried with two different email addresses I have with the same result, no activation email.

Unfortunately, you need an account to inquire on that forum so that is why I am posting here, I figured there would be some overlap of members and knowledge.

Is that site still active? Am I doing something wrong? Am I the first to experience this issue?

Any help would be appreciated

I too have tried on a number of occasions to create an account over there and never had any luck....

Groups on FB are just not the same as what you can learn from a solid forum.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

contact Fidel.....HE is in charge of the CL11 Coalition site......

[email protected], ........OR...... [email protected],

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

It’s interesting to read some of the history behind C11.

Coming from SCCA I see some classes/groups as being a ladder to work up to higher levels of prep and abilities. When I looked into C11 I saw Class 5/1600 as one potential step up and a seemingly natural progression, especially for VW guys. Somewhat like Showroom Stock to Improved Touring in SCCA. But there is certainly no requirement to move up.

C11 also seems like an almost perfect first step for someone new to the sport because it is a relatively inexpensive prep level, when compared to other classes. As such it would open doors for new guys to start racing – new blood to keep things alive. Making it more expensive closes that door for some people. Is/was there any other reasoning behind the C11 rules changes besides the Baja 1000 thing? While the 1000 is the “big race” changing rules for one race is usually never a good long term idea.

oldschool5er wrote:
to have a C11 page here would be great the problem is most of the heavy hitters won't come on Samba.

Just curious . . . why would that be? This is a VW site and info is openly shared like here. Besides the Coalition site seems to have been all but abandoned.

Thanks for the info re Gonzo Racing. I checked out their site and it is pretty impressive, especially for a self funded team.

- ArtSpeed Graphics

S. McQueen
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

L5wolvesf wrote:
It’s interesting to read some of the history behind C11.

Coming from SCCA I see some classes/groups as being a ladder to work up to higher levels of prep and abilities. When I looked into C11 I saw Class 5/1600 as one potential step up and a seemingly natural progression, especially for VW guys. Somewhat like Showroom Stock to Improved Touring in SCCA. But there is certainly no requirement to move up.

C11 also seems like an almost perfect first step for someone new to the sport because it is a relatively inexpensive prep level, when compared to other classes. As such it would open doors for new guys to start racing – new blood to keep things alive. Making it more expensive closes that door for some people. Is/was there any other reasoning behind the C11 rules changes besides the Baja 1000 thing? While the 1000 is the “big race” changing rules for one race is usually never a good long term idea.

oldschool5er wrote:
to have a C11 page here would be great the problem is most of the heavy hitters won't come on Samba.

Just curious . . . why would that be? This is a VW site and info is openly shared like here. Besides the Coalition site seems to have been all but abandoned.

Thanks for the info re Gonzo Racing. I checked out their site and it is pretty impressive, especially for a self funded team.

Coming from SCCA myself, I can draw you some parallels...
- Like every race driver SHOULD pass a driver school before being licensed to drive a race car.

- And I CERTAINLY compare Class 11 to SCCA Showroom Stock. I was an SCCA Tech Inspector when Showroom Stock started. And when Formula Ford and Formula VEE were started. 5-1600 I compare to D/Production. Trophy Trucks I compare to A/Sports Racing. And drivers jump into 800-1000hp Trophy Trucks with no more qualifications as a race driver than that they can afford it. SCCA does not allow drivers to jump into A/Sports Racers without becoming qualified. Nor does BNI allow drivers to jump into Jet powered streamliners without qualification. Nor NASCAR or IndyCar.

I don't like racers jumping into even Class 11 cars for the Baja 1000 with no education other than they saw the Dust To Glory video and wanted to try it. I feel they should at least race some smaller races 1st to learn what they are in for.

I agree with oldschool5er that the majority of those who actually race Class 11 are inclined to NOT log in here on the Samba because they don't want to wade through non-race related issues and they don't want to spend their time answering questions and comments from those who do not race or build race cars. I've been told that by several of them and I understand that. However, having a functional forum on here, busy with discussions between racers about Class 11 racing just might add a couple of racers to the entry lists.

Nope, there was NO other reason to change the Class 11 rules than one competitor whined that the racers in the class could not finish the 1000 the way the rules were. HE hadn't finished, so it must have been impossible, right? So the rules HAD to be changed, right? Rolling Eyes In Mickey Thompson's day of running SCORE, the class rules ONLY got changed if the vast majority of the racers who were actually entering in and racing the class agreed on such a change.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

L5wolvesf wrote:
Is/was there any other reasoning behind the C11 rules changes besides the Baja 1000 thing? While the 1000 is the “big race” changing rules for one race is usually never a good long term idea.

oldschool5er wrote:

Rule changes made are for every race a ORG puts on, in SCORE the points are based on all SCORE races attended and finished. Rule changes apply to all races SCORE puts on.

Richard answered it exactly as I was thinking.
I will add about the rules that there was also another BIG rule change because some of the other race ORG's were running low compression motors with Weber IDF or other two barrel carbs on them and that would not be legal in SCORE so to try and improve entry numbers and not have to use "race gas" in the high compression motors SCORE aligned itself by allowing it as an option. That opened up another slippery slope. As far as lowering costs it would be better to just lower C11 Entry Fees, and stop the gradual rule changes that keep trying to bring C11 into a Baja class. Giving liberal time limits on finishing helps the limited cars that can deal with the type of repairs that can still let them finish. There will be enough catastrophic failures that will put Limited’s on the trailer.

As far as why any heavy hitters would not come on Samba…well maybe it is a generalization and I cannot certainly speak for them. "Mr.Bill" is in more contact with the USA based teams about the why then I am as I am more active with some Mexican teams. Richard stated the answer and is what I have been told also.

If they really want to add to the ranks they should promote it by sharing, of course we don’t have to get too detailed on motor and Trans builds because some of us do it for a living. They share amongst themselves at the races and share information easily if you show up and show you are serious about joining the ranks to race. Another big issue is it’s also the net and you really have no idea who you’re discussing things with as people are not running around showing resumes, your new guy wanting info doesn't know if they are talking to a Myna bird or somebody who has actually gone through the process of success and failure. It gets to the point of, do you really want to spend the time detailing the how and why on something if people are just going to wander off on a C11 look alike?

Gonzaga13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 Coalition Website Status Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:
contact Fidel.....HE is in charge of the CL11 Coalition site......

[email protected], ........OR...... [email protected],

I have sent emails to both of the emails addresses listed for Fidel with no response. I would be happy to host the class11coalition and take care of any fee that may be associated.

If anybody out there knows how to reach Fidel, I think it would be great to resurrect the Class 11 coalition forum and I would be happy to do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: