Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel Sunroof Installed (67 Bug)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwo4smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Response to question on metal tab (leaf spring) Reply with quote

Yes - that looks right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to push up the back to close it fully and push down from the outside to start it when opening?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cwo4smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you've got the upper pin (that attaches to the panel) adjustment all the way up - meaning that when closed, the back of the sliding panel is as high as it can go... try loosening the lock nut and turn the adjusting screw to lower the pin on both sides just a bit - remember to tighten the lock nut when done... maybe that will allow you to close and open the roof panel without manual intervention.
Kuncle
I am Kyle Deese

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if one of the lock nuts was no longer there would it cause it to not be flush with the roof line?
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Sunroof Installed (67 Bug) Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a sunroof 1967 and I'm trying to get the crank to move the sunroof. Currently you crank and you hear the cables moving in their housing but the sunroof never moves.

I disassembled the sunroof and took it out. I'm trying to figure out if the assembly is broken or just not assembled correctly. I noticed that the spring loaded pin part of the cables just fell into my lap as i was working on it. Is that normal? or are these spring loaded pins supposed to be permanently attached to the cables. If they are supposed to be attached is there a way to do this? Here are the pictures...is this part normal if its not attached to the actual cables?

Thanks!
Buggo

www.ctcmagazine.com/IMG_4929.JPG
www.ctcmagazine.com/IMG_4930.JPG
www.ctcmagazine.com/IMG_4931.JPG
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Sunroof Installed (67 Bug) Reply with quote

Buggo wrote:
Hi,

I have a sunroof 1967 and I'm trying to get the crank to move the sunroof. Currently you crank and you hear the cables moving in their housing but the sunroof never moves.

I disassembled the sunroof and took it out. I'm trying to figure out if the assembly is broken or just not assembled correctly. I noticed that the spring loaded pin part of the cables just fell into my lap as i was working on it. Is that normal? or are these spring loaded pins supposed to be permanently attached to the cables. If they are supposed to be attached is there a way to do this? Here are the pictures...is this part normal if its not attached to the actual cables?

Thanks!
Buggo

www.ctcmagazine.com/IMG_4929.JPG
www.ctcmagazine.com/IMG_4930.JPG
www.ctcmagazine.com/IMG_4931.JPG

that part you linked pictures too, is a broken of part of a sunroof cable my friend. it is supposed to have a cable attached to it. my slider piece broke from its cable at some point too. i found that out when i first disabled my sunroof. luckily the cable was still in the tracks so i put 2 and 2 together and realized my cable was broken. i tried to fix it with jb weld. even tried to tap/thread that piece you pictured and bolt a small peice of sheetmetal to hold the cable but that only lasted a handful of cranks.

long story short, dish out the 75 bucks for a new cable
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Sunroof Installed (67 Bug) Reply with quote

evanfrucht,

haha i was afraid of that. alrighty thanks. sort of thought that was the deal. thanks man.

Buggo
67-indeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steel Sunroof Installed (67 Bug) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I’m also working on my sunroof. I think it looks more daunting than it is. I took my time to take it apart and figured out way it didn’t work. It’s simply missing too many pieces. The locating pins, the inner center plastic piece for example.

I need help however. Does anyone know the size of the screws that are used in the rails and the plastic covers? I know various places sell them as a pack but I have this theme going on with my car and I would really like to have brass screws. I read somewhere that they’re 4.2x13mm? My car had regular wood screws in them way too long.

Same with the metal screws that hold the interior trim pieces. If anybody knows I’m really really thankful!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: